Gransnet forums

News & politics

I have just about had enough of these contradictory covid19 regulations.

(334 Posts)
GillT57 Wed 23-Jun-21 13:45:40

Ok, so I am a law abiding person, I stayed at home, had my shopping delivered, no visitors, masks, hand washing, social distancing, both vaccinations etc., But, now I sit and watch thousands of football fans and Royal Ascot to name just two, at the same time as some bleating windbag of a politician is explaining why we shouldn't dance at a wedding ( other then the bride and groom), can only have limited guests in the church.....I am absolutely sick to the back teeth of the hypocrisy of it. I am going to a wedding in a mid July and the parents ( good friends) are worried sick about managing it all, how many can go into the Church, I told them to just stick a couple of horses in the gardens and we can say it is a race meet ( we will be wearing frocks and hats!), or get a football game going with some of the guests and we can be the spectators? Am I the only one irritated beyond measure?

Callistemon Thu 24-Jun-21 09:50:20

nanna8

Hate to say it but over here we all say the British are non compliant with rules etc and always have been. Not a criticism, just how it is and always has been.Same applies to the Americans.

Australians, on the other hand, always abide by the rules and the law!

To the letter!
Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the wee donkey, I've heard it all now.
???

Parsley3 Thu 24-Jun-21 09:52:17

But you did say it nanna8.

Alegrias1 Thu 24-Jun-21 09:54:14

Off topic, and probably not nice, and I hate to say it wink but...

I lived in Australia for a while. In any conversation where British people and Australians were present, it was rarely the poms who were whinging.

nanna8 Thu 24-Jun-21 10:05:56

I always thought the British were independent minded and, unlike us, would think before obeying. Obviously from your comments I was wrong. Also, things must have changed . Australians are very, very compliant - to their own detriment.

nanna8 Thu 24-Jun-21 10:08:49

Alegrias1

Off topic, and probably not nice, and I hate to say it wink but...

I lived in Australia for a while. In any conversation where British people and Australians were present, it was rarely the poms who were whinging.

I agree with you. Not nice.

maddyone Thu 24-Jun-21 10:18:05

PinkCakes

I'm sick of it all, too. How is it that 60,000 people can go to watch football, so many can watch tennis, then all those at Ascot, the G7 meeting - but I can't see my grandchildren do their sports day?

It's one rule for the rich and/or famous (no rules), and something else for the rest of us.

I absolutely agree. We did everything we were asked/told to do. We’ve obeyed the rules, worn a mask, sanitised, socially distanced, not gone out, etc and we’re still being restricted. On Sunday we’re going out for lunch with my elderly mother and a visiting cousin and her husband. But my two sons and their families can’t join us because of restrictions. But we’ll be seeing them the day before and the same day in our garden. It’s ridiculous. People’s mental health has been destroyed by these now unnecessary restrictions. At first the restrictions were needed, now they’re redundant because 3 out 5 adults are double vaccinated. My family are double vaccinated including my cousins. We live in a low transmission area, 28 cases per 100,000 but we’re under the same rules as Greater Manchester. Meanwhile the crowds at Ascot and football matches and cricket, the officials, the Heads of State from all over the world, all 2,500 football officials, and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all can freely mix, mingle, and ignore all the restrictions. Of course we’re fed up, we can see all this on our television screens every day.

runnerbean Thu 24-Jun-21 10:36:12

We will continue to look after ourselves also. Too right!

Callistemon Thu 24-Jun-21 10:38:17

nanna8 perhaps Australians have gained a reputation for compliance because the Covid rules were more clear and decisive.
www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/blog/australian-style-quarantine-not-easy-coronavirus-fix-uk

Added to that, you have a much smaller population spread over a huge area a distance away from most other countries. However, I could sense annoyance over there when some were seen to be allowed to break the rules, eg sports people, film stars etc.

I think most British people have been compliant of the rules and have been keen to get vaccinated so that life can return to normal and are frustrated that, despite all that, they now face more lockdowns.

There seems to be a certain vaccination reluctance in Australia and I do hope that does not mean you will lock your country to the rest of the world for years.

JdotJ Thu 24-Jun-21 10:39:39

Totally with you on this Gill. One rule for one and don't do as I do!!

counterpoint Thu 24-Jun-21 10:47:52

You have to take some account of the fact that transmission is much less likely outdoors than indoors.

Elvis58 Thu 24-Jun-21 10:54:58

No you r not alone.lts time to get on with life and live with the virus, thats over a year none of us will get back.l for one am not hiding indoors anymore !

polnan Thu 24-Jun-21 10:55:30

I admit it, I haven`t read every single post here, but ,,

has no one mentioned the G7/8 meeting in Cornwall?

I live in the South West, way up away from Cornwall, Swindon to be exact, and they,, (who are they?) say that the G7/8
gathering not only interfered with local trade, but ALSO
has now had the virus numbers in the South West zooming upwards..

just saying!

b1zzle Thu 24-Jun-21 10:57:20

It's double standards again. The government will do anything to be popular, so it's please the football fans who go around hugging each other & let the rest of us abide by the rules.

Mamgujane Thu 24-Jun-21 11:08:18

I’d like to live my life, but with this shower of in charge I fear that at 71 and 75 (me and DH respectively) we might be inviting our deaths.

Mamgujane Thu 24-Jun-21 11:09:42

Oh they took away my four asterisks!! Shower of abcd, then. I leave you all to work it out!!

maddyone Thu 24-Jun-21 11:12:32

There seems to be a certain vaccination reluctance in Australia……….

So we’ve been told quite frequently.
So which population accepts the advice and which won’t? In other words who’s following the rules and who isn’t?

MaggsMcG Thu 24-Jun-21 11:23:33

I agree its getting silly now. However the whole idea is to NOT overwhelm the NHS with hospital admissions. So as long as we're not doing that then the restrictions should be left to those that feel safer still doing them. But and its a big but, if the figures for hospitalisation rise a lot in the Autumn or Winter we should be happy for further restrictions to be brought in but sooner and for shorter bursts. Lets hope the vaccinations do continue to work to at least restrict the severity of the blinking virus for most of us.

Alegrias1 Thu 24-Jun-21 11:26:10

I'll never be "happy" for restrictions to be brought in again *MaggsMcG", but if they are I'll mostly abide by them.

Keke Thu 24-Jun-21 11:29:49

I think the advice has been contradictory for ages now - with all the football stuff highlighting it. Totally nonsensicle with how Euro officials/special guests will be able to enter the UK under 'special arrangements' - not sure the virus will co-operate with this???? Then the singing, gathering - makes me see red

maddyone Thu 24-Jun-21 11:30:16

Alegrias1

I'll never be "happy" for restrictions to be brought in again *MaggsMcG", but if they are I'll mostly abide by them.

Me too Alegrias, but I’m absolutely sick of them now.

Pammie1 Thu 24-Jun-21 11:30:29

Time to open up and those who chose to be careful can do so, whilst the rest live as they please.

Whilst I agree with a lot of opinion expressed in this thread, I think we ALL have to exercise some degree of caution. I don’t see how people who choose to be careful can do so if the rest of us are doing as we please.

Fernhillnana Thu 24-Jun-21 11:48:14

Think it’s time the silent majority of law abiding citizens rebelled!

Wigtown Thu 24-Jun-21 11:52:01

Why won’t the government publish results of ‘trial’ events ? Must be good news. They only want us to hear bad news to keep us locked down. Just wish I could figure out why??

Purplepixie Thu 24-Jun-21 11:54:38

Yes, I am annoyed about it as well. I didn’t see my grand kids for over one year.

springishere Thu 24-Jun-21 11:55:10

The numbers are bound to mount as we increase the number of tests. My son returning from an amber country has had at least five (all negative). We must learn to live with it if we want the NHS to treat the backlog of other cases.