Gransnet forums

News & politics

I have just about had enough of these contradictory covid19 regulations.

(334 Posts)
GillT57 Wed 23-Jun-21 13:45:40

Ok, so I am a law abiding person, I stayed at home, had my shopping delivered, no visitors, masks, hand washing, social distancing, both vaccinations etc., But, now I sit and watch thousands of football fans and Royal Ascot to name just two, at the same time as some bleating windbag of a politician is explaining why we shouldn't dance at a wedding ( other then the bride and groom), can only have limited guests in the church.....I am absolutely sick to the back teeth of the hypocrisy of it. I am going to a wedding in a mid July and the parents ( good friends) are worried sick about managing it all, how many can go into the Church, I told them to just stick a couple of horses in the gardens and we can say it is a race meet ( we will be wearing frocks and hats!), or get a football game going with some of the guests and we can be the spectators? Am I the only one irritated beyond measure?

growstuff Thu 24-Jun-21 11:58:52

springishere

The numbers are bound to mount as we increase the number of tests. My son returning from an amber country has had at least five (all negative). We must learn to live with it if we want the NHS to treat the backlog of other cases.

Living with Covid also means dying from it.

The flaw in your argument is that "living with Covid" means that cases and hospitalisations rise and leads to fewer resources being available to treat the backlog of other conditions.

Cases are rising almost everywhere in the UK.

petalpete Thu 24-Jun-21 12:03:23

I live and am proud to live in this Country because it is 'Democratic' and that is something none of us should stop believing in. We have and mostly still are doing what our government dictates we should do as are business's who have to close because one member of staff has been around someone who tested positive as is the case of our schoolchildren when not only the whole class but the whole school is closed down. Is this fair is this correct? We are being bullied and controlled by fear, how much more are we supposed to take or have our beliefs dictated to. This virus isn't going away and it never will just like influenza hasn't. Covid - 19 has developed from a coronavirus strain and we have been warned it will continue to develop. We can have as many injections as they dictate and despite the worlds leaders asking for all Countries to be vaccinated it will never happen but travel will be allowed so the virus is always going to be with us. Those who have been vaccinated can only hope they will be safe as those who haven't, it is a personal belief and that is what we should never forget. It isn't foolish for people to receive the vaccination as it isn't foolish for people to not have it. It is a choice. Is this how Government and big wigs with their beliefs whether right or whacky think they can control us, time will tell.

ayse Thu 24-Jun-21 12:03:59

Baggs

^Am I the only one irritated beyond measure?^

GillT57, you are not.

Me too!?

growstuff Thu 24-Jun-21 12:05:15

Incidence rates are rising almost everywhere, including the South West: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1APtcBmI4JeTR0Ysufjavgg2gy4MBiHz0Hf9eKIp5BSo/preview#gid=1865138965

Being vaccinated is no absolute guarantee that a person can't catch Covid and, more importantly, transmit it.

Half a million schoolchildren missed school last week as a result of Covid.

The only way not to waste the progress which has been made is to carry on with restrictions, not pretend everything is normal.

growstuff Thu 24-Jun-21 12:07:45

Believe that it's a government plot to control us if it makes you happy. Personally, I believe it's better to look at the facts and do what's right for everybody, which means continuing with restrictions as they are now.

growstuff Thu 24-Jun-21 12:08:45

I don't believe in letting myself be controlled by irrational conspiracy theories.

Nightsky2 Thu 24-Jun-21 12:12:02

polnan

I admit it, I haven`t read every single post here, but ,,

has no one mentioned the G7/8 meeting in Cornwall?

I live in the South West, way up away from Cornwall, Swindon to be exact, and they,, (who are they?) say that the G7/8
gathering not only interfered with local trade, but ALSO
has now had the virus numbers in the South West zooming upwards..

just saying!

You’re forgetting about all the holiday makers who poured into Cornwall for half term. Every house we tried to book was already fully booked!.

Hermia46 Thu 24-Jun-21 12:15:28

Best idiocy of the week! On a break last week, my DH and I went to a socially distanced jazz concert. The compere invited people to dance!! BUT you had to wear a mask. Given that most of the audience were in their late 60s/70s and over, double jabbed and were married couples and had probably spent most of the last 14 months in their homes, words fail me. A decorous waltz or quickstep is therefore by this rule dangerous, what utter nonsense. The rules/guidelines are increasingly idiotic.

Chewbacca Thu 24-Jun-21 12:17:49

Don't think that many of us believe in conspiracy theories to be fair growstuff but what the majority of posters are saying is that everyone keeps to the guidelines, including sports people, MPs, z list slebs and government advisers. Frustration has set in because so many of us have been aquiescent in doing as instructed, for many months now, only to see huge swathes of "others" for whom those guidelines can legally be bypassed and therefore prolonging the agony for all of us. Nothing whatsoever to do with conspiracy theories.

NotANana Thu 24-Jun-21 12:20:25

And people still have to ring me took a seat in church. Yes, I’m fed up with it.

Aepgirl Thu 24-Jun-21 12:21:54

I think the biggest hypocrisy has been football all through the pandemic.

I am still abiding by the rules, but can’t help feeling cross when I see others blatantly doing as they like.

icanhandthemback Thu 24-Jun-21 12:24:22

Please let's not get into a fight about which country has the most law abiding citizens. I suspect on balance we all have law abiding citizens mixed up with those that don't!
The rules are contradictory and from where I am sitting, quite unfair but I don't think I am ready for festivals, football matches, travel, etc so it doesn't bother me as much as it might others.

muffinthemoo Thu 24-Jun-21 12:30:12

Bring a pheasant to the wedding and I think anything goes as this becomes “outdoor sport”. Or a fox but no dogs. I am not sure if it is compulsory to chase the fox around though. If you can find a donkey to invite I believe the affair becomes essential animal care.

maddyone Thu 24-Jun-21 12:38:20

I don’t want to go to festivals, football matches, or even the theatre, but I am going to travel. To a cottage in Somerset next month, to the Greek island of Zakinthos in September. To a holiday cottage/a holiday house both times. Not to a big hotel, I wouldn’t even go to a small hotel at the moment. I also wouldn’t go to Cornwall or Devon at the moment because the world and wife will be descending there this summer.

The numbers of patients in hospital have flatlined, I’ve just seen it on the news. About 1500 people are in hospital with Covid now, primarily people who haven’t been vaccinated at all, or only had one jab. At the height of the pandemic in January apparently there were 40000 people in hospital.

JaneJudge Thu 24-Jun-21 12:41:47

I thought some of the football crowds were part of pilot schemes? My sons friend went to the match at wembley the other night as part as keyworkers children being invited

JaneJudge Thu 24-Jun-21 12:42:27

He is a child btw, he is one of my younger ones friends not adult ones grin

Kiplet Thu 24-Jun-21 12:44:51

You are correct in saying large venues are being trialled by the government…in order to see and monitor Covid outcome…
Unsure why Andrew Lloyd Webber refused his theatrical productions to participate though ????

rosie1959 Thu 24-Jun-21 12:45:57

Rates are increasing but not translating into high hospital admissions and deaths so will all restrictions be lifted on the 19th July ? I cannot really see business and many people in general tolerating them beyond this date
I also hope they change the rules around isolation just because you may have been near someone who tests positive

growstuff Thu 24-Jun-21 12:48:51

Chewbacca

Don't think that many of us believe in conspiracy theories to be fair growstuff but what the majority of posters are saying is that everyone keeps to the guidelines, including sports people, MPs, z list slebs and government advisers. Frustration has set in because so many of us have been aquiescent in doing as instructed, for many months now, only to see huge swathes of "others" for whom those guidelines can legally be bypassed and therefore prolonging the agony for all of us. Nothing whatsoever to do with conspiracy theories.

The conspiracy theorists did creep on to the thread Chewbacca - hence my comment. However, I do agree with you that the problem is that different rules seem to apply to some very public figures, which I think is very wrong. I do wonder what the "powers that be" are up to (if they have any plan at all). Despite the vaccinations, incidence rates, hospitalisations and deaths are all rising. It's lunacy to relax restrictions just yet, which is why IMO public figures should be providing good role models. Unfortunately, the reaction seems to be (as it was with the Barnard Castle trip) that "if they can get away with it, so can I".

growstuff Thu 24-Jun-21 12:49:20

rosie1959

Rates are increasing but not translating into high hospital admissions and deaths so will all restrictions be lifted on the 19th July ? I cannot really see business and many people in general tolerating them beyond this date
I also hope they change the rules around isolation just because you may have been near someone who tests positive

Not true. Hospital admissions and deaths are rising.

growstuff Thu 24-Jun-21 12:50:37

maddyone

I don’t want to go to festivals, football matches, or even the theatre, but I am going to travel. To a cottage in Somerset next month, to the Greek island of Zakinthos in September. To a holiday cottage/a holiday house both times. Not to a big hotel, I wouldn’t even go to a small hotel at the moment. I also wouldn’t go to Cornwall or Devon at the moment because the world and wife will be descending there this summer.

The numbers of patients in hospital have flatlined, I’ve just seen it on the news. About 1500 people are in hospital with Covid now, primarily people who haven’t been vaccinated at all, or only had one jab. At the height of the pandemic in January apparently there were 40000 people in hospital.

No, the number in hospitals haven't flatlined. They are rising.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Jun-21 12:55:26

Wigtown

Why won’t the government publish results of ‘trial’ events ? Must be good news. They only want us to hear bad news to keep us locked down. Just wish I could figure out why??

The first test events results were released (The Snooker and two indoor music events) and from I remember the overall percentage of cases due to these was extremely low.

Merryweather Thu 24-Jun-21 12:56:00

What it also means is huge increases in the daily rates. I’m on shielding list - do thanks to the football, Ascot, parties, meet ups, people not abiding be the slightly illogical rules I now can't go out again. So it's great for those who don't care anymore - bit crap for those of us who will die despite double vaccines, oh and my one year old, seven-year-old and nine year old who also have to stay in to keep me alive. But cheers ?

growstuff Thu 24-Jun-21 12:58:37

I agree with you Merryweather. It's more than a bit crap. It's a shame people don't see it.

Patsmith2 Thu 24-Jun-21 12:59:17

It is interesting that we haven't heard much about the trial large events that took place, in the media. The results that I found say that there were 15 positive tests out of 60 000 attendees at the various events. However, these were prior to the Delta variant and the rising numbers that we are seeing currently.
Meantime, I see evidence of people not following mask/distancing rules anymore because they are vaccinated. It's all a muddle and I agree that a lof of measures are (and have always been) nonsensical.