Gransnet forums

News & politics

"gesture politics"

(135 Posts)
Eloethan Wed 14-Jul-21 12:37:32

I seem to recall the Conservative government was quite happy to encourage people to stand outside their homes clapping for the NHS - and made themselves visible doing the same.

Likewise, rather than pay NHS staff a pay increase that offers some recompense for the failure to keep their salaries in line with inflation, and to recognise in a meaningful way the hard work and risks they undertook during the pandemic, the organisation is awarded a George Cross.

Both of these examples are, I believe, gestures rather than concrete, practical actions.

Yet Priti Patel and others label "taking the knee" as "gesture politics" and decry it.

Lucca Wed 14-Jul-21 12:40:54

Good point!

MagicWand Wed 14-Jul-21 12:53:55

Well said Eloethan! I had exactly the same thought yesterday when reading all the 'stoking the fire' comments and looking at photos today of BJ in his 'gesture politics' England top - under a suit but over his shirt looking the usual right mess next to the impeccably turned out David Beckham and Tom Cruise.

This government leads the way in gesture politics, no wonder they think they recognise examples of it so readily in others.

Ilovecheese Wed 14-Jul-21 12:57:07

A Conservative MP , I think he is called Steve Baker, said on TV today that he has thought about taking the knee and is now in favour. It is so refreshing to hear someone who is willing to actually think and to admit that they could have been wrong about something. I mean anything really, not just taking the knee, so many people are so unwilling to listen and think, but just keep on repeating their entrenched views.

Esspee Wed 14-Jul-21 13:22:38

The problem with “taking the knee” is that the Black Lives Matter has associated it with the appalling death of George Floyd.
I am 100% against racism and my life demonstrates this. I would never make, or encourage others to make the gesture which glorifies George Floyd. He didn’t deserve what happened to him but was a thoroughly detestable person.

Alegrias1 Wed 14-Jul-21 13:28:45

Wow.

www.scotsman.com/sport/football/what-does-taking-the-knee-mean-why-footballers-take-the-knee-origin-of-gesture-and-what-priti-patel-said-3307215

Galaxy Wed 14-Jul-21 13:30:53

I completely agree Ilovecheese we as a society seems to have lost the skill of saying I have got that wrong or I have changed my mind.

LadyGracie Wed 14-Jul-21 15:43:48

Wholeheartedly agree with you Esspee

MissAdventure Wed 14-Jul-21 15:47:38

It doesn't matter if he was akin to Jack the Ripper, though.
He was murdered by police.

AGAA4 Wed 14-Jul-21 15:51:48

The footballers have said they take the knee against racism and who can deny many of them suffer it at matches and on social media.
How else can they make their feelings known?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 14-Jul-21 15:55:21

Esspee

The problem with “taking the knee” is that the Black Lives Matter has associated it with the appalling death of George Floyd.
I am 100% against racism and my life demonstrates this. I would never make, or encourage others to make the gesture which glorifies George Floyd. He didn’t deserve what happened to him but was a thoroughly detestable person.

There speaks someone who has no understanding of the motive behind the English teams decision to take the knee.

You have been told time and again by the English team members that the are taking the knee the reason and motive for doing so.

You are against racism just as they are. They are using one way of showing their solidarity with the millions that are suffering this abuse, you no doubt have another way.

Who are you to say they are wrong?

AGAA4 Wed 14-Jul-21 16:04:58

Taking the knee does not glorify George Floyd. It has always been about racism not just one man.

One of my son's team at work was in tears as her 11 year old son, who has suffered verbal abuse was recently beaten up just because he is black. He doesn't understand why the other boys don't like him.

An example of every day racism.

MayBee70 Wed 14-Jul-21 16:21:12

I actually Wikipedia’d George Floyd to find out more about him. Yes, he’d been involved in several crimes and had an addiction problem. But looking back at the history of his family, an ancestor who had been a slave was freed and owned his own land land but that was taken from him by white farmers. How different would the family and ultimately George Floyd have been if black people hadn’t been treated like that over the centuries?

M0nica Wed 14-Jul-21 16:25:15

On R4 today it was said that the taking the knee gesture is not a recent gesture, but dates back to Martin Luther King and him 'taking the knee' with others, in prayer, in Selma, Virginia before going to prison as a result of his Civil Rights campaign.

Here is the link and photograph[[ globalnews.ca/news/3769534/martin-luther-king-jr-take-a-knee-history]]/

What we have now, is a revival of an action with a deep history within the Civil Rights movement. Perhaps, some of those who do this and have a religious fail, should be seen to pray for the cause when they use this gesture.

Esspee Wed 14-Jul-21 16:28:13

Whitewavemark2

Esspee

There speaks someone who has no understanding of the motive behind the English teams decision to take the knee.

You have been told time and again by the English team members that the are taking the knee the reason and motive for doing so.

You are against racism just as they are. They are using one way of showing their solidarity with the millions that are suffering this abuse, you no doubt have another way.

Who are you to say they are wrong?

I know nothing about the English football team Whitewavemark2. I’m not English and have no interest in the sport.
My comment was about how I feel personally regarding the American gesture “taking the knee”.
I stated “I would never make, or encourage others to make the gesture”.
Perhaps instead of copying the Americans there needs to be an alternative more in keeping with our culture.
Perhaps people holding each other by the hand to show solidarity. I’m sure gransnetters could come up with something appropriate.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 14-Jul-21 16:29:21

It goes back even further than that.

But the focus should not be on the action.

The focus should be on the reason for the action.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 14-Jul-21 16:31:30

If the young English team think taking the knee is appropriate, then it is appropriate.

Let’s now look at the reason for the action which is racism and how so many suffer from its consequences.

Galaxy Wed 14-Jul-21 16:34:31

Er you dont get to decide what way people decide to protest.

AGAA4 Wed 14-Jul-21 16:35:14

Does it matter what the gesture is as long as people understand what it means.

JaneJudge Wed 14-Jul-21 16:35:55

the woman is foul

MoorlandMooner Wed 14-Jul-21 16:44:57

"I would never make, or encourage others to make the gesture which glorifies George Floyd. He didn’t deserve what happened to him but was a thoroughly detestable person "

The action of taking the knee began four years before the murder of George Floyd.

I would really urge people to read George's story before taking away this posters opinion of him as a detestable man.

M0nica Wed 14-Jul-21 16:48:18

*MoorlandMooner . It dates to the 1960s and Marin Luther King. The 2016 occasion of its use was a revival (see above)

MoorlandMooner Wed 14-Jul-21 16:48:23

JaneJudge

the woman is foul

Who is foul please JaneJudge?

MissAdventure Wed 14-Jul-21 16:48:33

www.snopes.com/news/2020/06/12/george-floyd-criminal-record/
Perhaps read this, and then the policeman's record.

MoorlandMooner Wed 14-Jul-21 16:49:21

M0nica

*MoorlandMooner . It dates to the 1960s and Marin Luther King. The 2016 occasion of its use was a revival (see above)

Thank you M0nica. I need to learn more about this so appreciate that.