Gransnet forums

News & politics

Parliament today. Mask wearing. Or not….

(91 Posts)
MayBee70 Wed 18-Aug-21 13:16:31

Has anyone noticed that, in parliament today, the Conservative benches seem to be full of people not wearing masks whereas the opposition benches consist of people wearing them. Do we have a Republican/Democrat situation in this country where mask wearing is now a political statement?

JaneJudge Wed 18-Aug-21 13:23:37

Yes, it very noticeable. People on the left of the house took them off to talk. Theresa May and a few others were still wearing them though.

Galaxy Wed 18-Aug-21 13:25:43

We are doomed really. I dont mean because of covid, I mean due to polarisation of beliefs.

maddyone Wed 18-Aug-21 13:31:53

My politics have got absolutely nothing to do with my mask wearing. I wear a mask inside shops etc because I want to in order to protect myself and others.

Ilovecheese Wed 18-Aug-21 13:36:02

There was quite a lot of shouting in the house as well. I don't know whether one side shouted more than the other but it was a terrible example to set.

JaneJudge Wed 18-Aug-21 13:39:50

The heckling and laughing was horrible.

love0c Wed 18-Aug-21 13:50:05

I am wondering if the Afghans coming here will have covid? If not will they catch it from us? Doubt they have been vaccinated. Thousands coming here may get very sick and many may die? The government is already talking of further lockdowns as the NHS will not be able to cope with a further wave in the winter. What will happen it thousands of Afghans fall sick? This all needs to be thought through.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-Aug-21 13:51:05

It was very noticeable. There were some more level headed tories wearing masks but on the whole they were behaving rather stupidly I thought and setting a very bad example.

MawBe Wed 18-Aug-21 14:36:50

love0c

I am wondering if the Afghans coming here will have covid? If not will they catch it from us? Doubt they have been vaccinated. Thousands coming here may get very sick and many may die? The government is already talking of further lockdowns as the NHS will not be able to cope with a further wave in the winter. What will happen it thousands of Afghans fall sick? This all needs to be thought through.

I think you are panicking unnecessarily.
Afghanistan is a “red” list country so any refugees coming in will have to quarantine anyway.
All this reference to “thousands may die” seems to ignore the fact that if they are left to the tender mercies of the Taliban thousands will die, be deprived of their liberty, their livelihood, their education and their human rights.

MayBee70 Wed 18-Aug-21 14:42:01

love0c

So you’re worried about all these ‘furriners’ coming here and possibly infecting us but not concerned about our governing body not setting a good example?

Eviebeanz Wed 18-Aug-21 14:43:55

@love0c
If thousands of Afghans get sick here I would hope that they would be taken very good care of in the same way as I hope anyone else would be. We mustn't let our fears stop us from doing the right thing.

love0c Wed 18-Aug-21 14:50:09

Why do people not read? I am clearly not panicking, I worry about us infecting them and I worry that we will not have the means to treat them. Thank goodness some on here have no control over anything!

MawBe Wed 18-Aug-21 14:58:50

love0c

Well if that’s not panicking I don’t know what is?

And when you say This all needs to be thought through
What would you suggest?

AGAA4 Wed 18-Aug-21 15:22:42

Allowing people to choose whether or not to wear a mask causes confusion. It becomes useless if some are wearing them and others are not in the same indoor space. To protect others who may be vulnerable it seems selfish to not wear a mask.
Glad that here in Wales mask wearing is still mandatory in indoor public spaces.

MerylStreep Wed 18-Aug-21 15:27:21

LoveOc
With respect, you do sound very panicky.

Lucca Wed 18-Aug-21 15:29:14

MawBe

love0c

I think you are panicking unnecessarily.
Afghanistan is a “red” list country so any refugees coming in will have to quarantine anyway.
All this reference to “thousands may die” seems to ignore the fact that if they are left to the tender mercies of the Taliban thousands will die, be deprived of their liberty, their livelihood, their education and their human rights.

Good post Mawbe.

And I wish also that masks were still mandatory.

MoorlandMooner Wed 18-Aug-21 16:01:25

From the outset we've been told by the government and their advisors that masks are to protect others.

It's never been easier to tell who in the House of Commons cares about others and who does not than.

Jaxjacky Wed 18-Aug-21 16:03:21

loveOc would you mind referencing where the UK government has been ‘already talking of further lockdowns* please?

rosie1959 Wed 18-Aug-21 16:58:07

AGAA4 all restriction have been dropped in the UK so I can’t see there is any confusion If you want to wear a mask you can nobody is forcing anyone
As an adult I can make my own choice

Ilovecheese Wed 18-Aug-21 17:02:11

"From the outset we've been told by the government and their advisors that masks are to protect others."

That is why some people choose to wear them.

MayBee70 Wed 18-Aug-21 17:03:12

As an adult my choice is to continue to protect myself and others. It would be good to see the government choose to do the same thing.

AGAA4 Wed 18-Aug-21 17:15:36

rosie1959

AGAA4 all restriction have been dropped in the UK so I can’t see there is any confusion If you want to wear a mask you can nobody is forcing anyone
As an adult I can make my own choice

We still have to wear face masks in Wales. It is confusing as in England face masks need to be worn in certain places eg London underground.
As an adult I will continue to protect others.

rosie1959 Wed 18-Aug-21 17:30:25

AGAA4 I was simply pointing out that I don’t find it confusing and am now grateful we are now ‘allowed’ to make our own choice
For me it makes little difference I rarely go into crowded areas but if I go into a restaurant now I no longer have to mask up for a short walk to the table which I always thought was a totally pointless exercise

JaneJudge Wed 18-Aug-21 17:36:02

Quite a lot of shops, pubs, cafes, buses, taxis in England still ask us to wear masks too.

M0nica Wed 18-Aug-21 18:16:04

Why is mask wearing good and not wearing masks bad?