Gransnet forums

News & politics

Parliament today. Mask wearing. Or not….

(92 Posts)
MayBee70 Wed 18-Aug-21 13:16:31

Has anyone noticed that, in parliament today, the Conservative benches seem to be full of people not wearing masks whereas the opposition benches consist of people wearing them. Do we have a Republican/Democrat situation in this country where mask wearing is now a political statement?

JaneJudge Wed 18-Aug-21 18:22:11

It has been commented on as it was so striking this is the facebook page for the HoC you can tell just by the few photos. I think galaxy described it perfectly though as polarised.

In an enclosed space with so many people, most who are wearing masks, you'd put one on, well I would at the moment still.

rosie1959 Wed 18-Aug-21 18:33:19

Those that stood up and spoke removed their masks does an airborne virus dissappear because you are speaking

Lincslass Wed 18-Aug-21 18:54:02

rosie1959

Those that stood up and spoke removed their masks does an airborne virus dissappear because you are speaking

No more than it does when you’re eating and drinking in a coffee shop or restaurant.

rosie1959 Wed 18-Aug-21 18:56:08

Exactly Linclass wearing a mask just to enter a restuartant is totally pointless

Lincslass Wed 18-Aug-21 19:24:00

JaneJudge

Quite a lot of shops, pubs, cafes, buses, taxis in England still ask us to wear masks too.

They do, but to walk into a restaurant wearing a mask and then sit down and take it off, well not really any use
theconversation.com/how-to-lower-your-coronavirus-risk-while-eating-out-restaurant-advice-from-an-infectious-disease-expert-138925?back=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fclient%3Dsafari%26as_qdr%3Dall%26as_occt%3Dany%26safe%3Dactive%26as_q%3DHow+far+does+a+virus+spread+when+you+open+your+mouth+and+eat%26channel%3Daplab%26source%3Da-app1%26hl%3Den

JaneJudge Wed 18-Aug-21 19:32:12

House of commons is neither of those things and none of them were eating and drinking.

MoorlandMooner Wed 18-Aug-21 21:05:52

This is an article on attitudes to mask wearing after July 19th. Boris Johnson is quoted, "So, what we want to do is for people to exercise their personal responsibility but to remember the value of face coverings both in protecting themselves and others."

M0nica In this article I believe Mr Johnson, Professor Chris Whitty and Sir Patrick Vallance answer your question about why mask wearing is good and not wearing a mask is bad.

www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/06/to-mask-or-not-to-mask-what-will-johnson-and-others-do-after-19-july

MawBe Wed 18-Aug-21 21:20:10

No more than it does when you’re eating and drinking in a coffee shop or restaurant

Just quite difficult to eat and drink through a face covering.
What do you suggest?

Grannmarie Wed 18-Aug-21 21:27:27

Slightly off topic, apologies, MayBee70, but I have just come home from shopping in Lidl, and about half a dozen shoppers were not wearing masks.
I shop at this time because it's much quieter, but this is the first time I've been aware of people without masks.
Just to add that I am in Scotland, and everyone I know is still wearing masks in public places, as per Scottish government advice.
However, if people see some of those in Parliament disregarding the wellbeing of others, what kind of example does that set?

MayBee70 Wed 18-Aug-21 22:55:08

It really needs to become part of our culture and I had hoped that had happened. Especially as there’s a risk of a flu epidemic this winter as well. People do follow examples set by others even if it’s subconsciously. It seems to me that the government are trying to make people forget we still have a pandemic. We also don’t know yet how long the vaccines will be effective for.

M0nica Thu 19-Aug-21 16:10:47

"From the outset we've been told by the government and their advisors that masks are to protect others."

Emotional blackmail. The incidence of COVID is now very low and concentrated in certain unvaccinated groups. For the vast majority of mask wearers they are not protecting anyone from anything, just buying into the politics of fear.

Having said that, had I been in the House of Commons yesterday, I would have worn a mask. It was a crowded and probably not well ventilated space.

Otherwise I do not bother. I went shopping early today in a supermarket with very few customers. Yesterday I went to the local market and several other shops, almost all with open doors and few if any customers, I didn't wear a mask, although I would have done if asked. Nobody asked.

What I do not understand is all those feeling a need to wear masks out of doors.

JaneJudge Thu 19-Aug-21 16:23:09

I wear mine outside if I have my hands full as I can't be bothered to keep taking it off and putting it back on, if that helps. I also forget I'm wearing it sometimes

MoorlandMooner Thu 19-Aug-21 16:27:22

Why is it emotional blackmail M0nica? I thought it was government guidance.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Aug-21 16:27:24

Consider the damage to the environment of all the discarded single use masks now blocking drains, watercourses, littering pavements and polluting the seas.

MoorlandMooner Thu 19-Aug-21 16:31:53

GrannyGravy13

Consider the damage to the environment of all the discarded single use masks now blocking drains, watercourses, littering pavements and polluting the seas.

The fact that some people don't dispose of masks properly is a separate problem from whether they should be worn or not though isn't it?

Galaxy Thu 19-Aug-21 16:36:14

I wouldnt bother taking it off if I was walking between shops. I had to work in one all day so walking a few yards in one isnt going to bother me.

rosie1959 Fri 20-Aug-21 10:50:20

I am out and about on a trip to a local shopping outlet noticed mask wearing greatly reduced now around 50%
Mainly more elderly wearing them

Theoddbird Fri 20-Aug-21 11:21:51

People on both sides were wearing them. Only the front row of the conservatives were not....

effalump Fri 20-Aug-21 11:22:34

Virtue signalling. Pain in the a*

Santana Fri 20-Aug-21 11:23:04

I wonder if the labour MPs wear masks to portray themselves as the 'caring party'
Not a political remark as I don't like any of them much.
I don't wear a mask unless I'm in a medical situation, or on a bus. My choice, my reasons, and I don't feel the need to explain or defend myself.
If you choose to wear a mask, it is your choice, your reasons, and I don't expect you to explain why.

Dustyhen2010 Fri 20-Aug-21 11:23:51

Thankfully in Scotland we still wear them indoors. It is out of respect for others that they should be worn. So in parliament what does this say about the maskless? There will be some MPs there with reduced immunity through illness or medication! We know that in groups covid spreads easily.

MayBee70 Fri 20-Aug-21 11:32:32

Theoddbird

People on both sides were wearing them. Only the front row of the conservatives were not....

I think you need to look footage of that debate again. It isn’t what I saw.

Whatdayisit Fri 20-Aug-21 11:39:35

While workers are having to wear their masks I am continuing to wear mine. If it protects others the HoC should be setting an example. They should be leading the country not making the place look like the lower 5th common room.

allule Fri 20-Aug-21 11:41:05

Official advice is to wear masks in crowded spaces indoors...I think Commons staff had to wear them, and the speaker asked MPs to, though he could not enforce it.

I suspect many Tory MPs had masks in their pockets, and waited to see if BJ was wearing one or not.....

Dylant1234 Fri 20-Aug-21 11:49:42

I’m sure they’ll be more than happy to be vaccinated to protect themselves and others, unlike the selfish minority here who continue to spread and infect others as well as encourage mutations.