Gransnet forums

News & politics

Parliament today. Mask wearing. Or not….

(92 Posts)
MayBee70 Wed 18-Aug-21 13:16:31

Has anyone noticed that, in parliament today, the Conservative benches seem to be full of people not wearing masks whereas the opposition benches consist of people wearing them. Do we have a Republican/Democrat situation in this country where mask wearing is now a political statement?

love0c Fri 20-Aug-21 18:51:11

I have not worn mine since no longer law. To be honest I think anybody still trying to make everybody wear one just because they want to, needs to look outside their own lives. We are free! The people in Afghanistan are not. Think on!

varian Fri 20-Aug-21 19:13:09

You are free to pass on infection to those around you if you refuse to wear a mask. What kind of freedom is that?

MaizieD Fri 20-Aug-21 19:29:57

varian

You are free to pass on infection to those around you if you refuse to wear a mask. What kind of freedom is that?

I think that's why cases and deaths are rising steadily.

Brain dead...

FarNorth Fri 20-Aug-21 20:30:31

Look on the bright side - people like love0c without masks are the ones most likely to infect each other. ?

Casdon Fri 20-Aug-21 20:38:13

But sadly also more likely to infect the immune suppressed like my 92 year old mum. Vaccinated but still vulnerable.

love0c Fri 20-Aug-21 20:41:47

Such hateful comments all because I have said I choose to not wear a mask now. I am breaking no law. You same people are asking how human beings can be so horrific to other human beings. I can see why! The same mentality as you.

love0c Fri 20-Aug-21 20:44:08

Farnorth Sorry to disappoint you but I have had both vaccinations. I believe in the vaccination.

lemongrove Fri 20-Aug-21 20:50:16

Sadly love0c the hateful comments seem to come from those who cannot abide differing viewpoints.

It’s fine if we don’t agree with each other....or should be.
We use our own common sense now with the guidance for Covid, masks are no longer mandatory indoors and pointless wearing one outdoors.

love0c Fri 20-Aug-21 20:53:41

Varian You are comparing not wearing a mask to the poor people of Afghanistan??!! We are indeed free with a mask or without. Dear God how does your brain work? If at all.

lemongrove Fri 20-Aug-21 20:55:18

JaneJudge

If I looked this rough all the time, I'd wear a mask sad he looks really unwell and even though I dislike him, I do think he isn't sending the right message as a lot of people in this country are out of shape like Boris

Not everyone has a slim svelte figure Jane and not everybody is tall ( remember your outburst about height?)?

MaizieD Fri 20-Aug-21 21:24:02

love0c

Such hateful comments all because I have said I choose to not wear a mask now. I am breaking no law. You same people are asking how human beings can be so horrific to other human beings. I can see why! The same mentality as you.

I'm sorry, but the wearing of masks is proven to cut the rate of infection. It'a not a matter of opinion, it is a scientific fact. If people want to lay themselves open to infection that's fine by me, but as masks reduce the likelihood of infecting others it does seem selfish not to wear one. The legal/not legal aspect is irrelevant.

MayBee70 Fri 20-Aug-21 21:52:21

love0c

You are breaking the law of common decency. imo Whatever happened to people caring about other people sad?

MerylStreep Fri 20-Aug-21 22:20:13

LoveOc
Your not alone with the no mask wearing. they said we were free to make a choice and I made mine ?

MayBee70 Fri 20-Aug-21 22:30:51

Are ‘they’ the ones that said it would all be over in 12 weeks, Christmas etc? That all we had to do was squash a sombrero. Or wash our hands.

Casdon Fri 20-Aug-21 22:39:26

I’m glad it’s a different ‘they’ in Wales, we still wear masks by law. I wish my parents lived here too, I worry about them every day going to the supermarket etc. and coming into contact with the ‘I’m all right Jack’ brigade.

MayBee70 Fri 20-Aug-21 23:02:34

I was at the dentists today. The receptionist didn’t wear her mask properly but I could understand that as she was working on her own and was constantly having to answer the phone. But at least I was wearing a mask. Problem was half of the other people there weren’t and that included young people that probably hadn’t been vaccinated. They had this weird vacuum type thing in the treatment room that was clearing the air (bit like those things that used to be on tumble dryers). I did say as I left that I’d better be careful not to get sucked outside. It was quite reassuring though.