Gransnet forums

News & politics

Gina Miller the woman who tried to stop Brexit starting new party called 'True and Fair' ?

(111 Posts)
Maudi Mon 27-Sep-21 12:30:46

Nothing true and fair about Gina Miller who tried to stop the democratic Brexit vote. What do you think?

GillT57 Mon 27-Sep-21 18:31:35

LadyGracie

I think you'll find the pandemic has had a big influence on what is happening now.
We had a democratic referendum on Brexit.
I think you'll find that the staunch remainers are the undemocratic ones in our society.

Very convenient this pandemic, and like all viruses it is mutating well, at the moment it has become an HGV driver shortage.

Nothing undemocratic about thinking knowing that Brexit is the biggest mistake this country has ever voluntarily made, and we aren't even fully there yet.

Visgir1 Mon 27-Sep-21 18:33:36

Bodach

"So let's just have a Second Vote now- that will sort it out. Easy peasy."
Kali2: You're not, by any chance, Nicola Sturgeon? wink

Hear hear

PippaZ Mon 27-Sep-21 19:12:04

Thank you fot letting us know about that. It sounds interesting. I'll look it up.

Like many who have posted I appreciate that she was prepared to hold the government to account and try to help us maintain democracy.

Liveinnan Mon 27-Sep-21 19:16:55

So after a second referendum a third, fourth, fifth? No, You can’t keep on having referendums. Scots take note.

MaizieD Mon 27-Sep-21 19:20:29

Liveinnan

So after a second referendum a third, fourth, fifth? No, You can’t keep on having referendums. Scots take note.

You can if people cheat.

PippaZ Mon 27-Sep-21 19:27:22

No point in posting on this thread to find out anything about the new party. You are all running the referendum again like people who watch old war films (which are generally no nearer the truth than anything said by the "winners").

I hope she will be standing for government to be held to account and MPs imprisoned if they have behaved in a way that undermines legal democracy. PR would be good too.

It doesn't look as if she will say any more until it has been passed by the Electoral Commission.

Alegrias1 Mon 27-Sep-21 19:43:39

Liveinnan

You do know we can actually read, do you?

You do know that everybody accepted the results of the 2014 referendum even though the Unionists had a little panic at the end and sent the boys round to promise things they couldn't deliver? Like, you know, not being taken out of Europe? (The boys being mostly those political heavyweights Gordon Brown and Nick Clegg of course)

Oh, but, don't worry, we've taken note. But not of what you think we should take note of.

As for not keeping on having referendums? Just watch us.

Kali2 Mon 27-Sep-21 19:54:41

Well I have been to Scotland twice- first time in 1970, adn second time in 88- so perhaps, hey.

Totally different situation, no comparison whatsoever!

A second vote would have to define what Brexit is, and have a minimum % to win- and serious scrutiny of lies and intervention by large donors and foreign donors, as it should have been the first time.

love0c Mon 27-Sep-21 20:17:18

Gina Miller does not understand the meaning of the words 'true' or fair'. IMO.

PippaZ Mon 27-Sep-21 20:28:52

Interestingly the courts don't seem to think so. love0c Now who should I believe knows whether the cases she has brought - which you don't like presumably - or the person who has tried to keep democracy from being shattered by this government.

Mmm. Not much thinking required about that.

love0c Mon 27-Sep-21 20:33:54

She tried and failed. The vote was both 'true and fair'.

GillT57 Mon 27-Sep-21 20:38:30

love0c

She tried and failed. The vote was both 'true and fair'.

gringringrin yeah right

Kali2 Mon 27-Sep-21 20:58:22

Dinahmo

Urmstongran

I’d rather our FPTP voting than PR. Coalitions of groups just seem to produce more hot air (ahem, discussions) and decision making becomes very problematic for the poor electorate!

Germany has had a coalition government throughout the period of Angela Merkel's Chancellorship. Germany is probably the most successful country in the EU. What's not to like?

Sounds just great to me:

Germany: SPD intends to form coalition with Greens and liberals

Centre-left contender to replace Angela Merkel announces plan for ‘social-ecological-liberal’ alliance.

Urmstongran Mon 27-Sep-21 21:04:36

CoolCoco

Angela Merkel has been at the helm in Germany for 13 years, and whatever you think of her politics, she has earned respect amongst world leaders. Unlike the UK Germany kept is manufacturing base - they make their own cars, tractors, fridges , washing machine, heavy machinery etc which many other countries want to buy. They have a world class health system, with much more of the country's GDP being spent on health and social care than the UK. Pensions are higher too. It is far more stable politically and economically prosperous and productive than the UK. Plus guess what - its in the EU and had PR.

As regards their motor industry & being in the EU - what about their scandal over diesel emissions? Not forgotten by many. Quite shocking wasn’t it?

Alegrias1 Mon 27-Sep-21 21:14:26

No, not really.

It was VW's scandal, so any attempt to associate it with the German government or the EU is malicious.

Kali2 Mon 27-Sep-21 21:23:11

Te pouring of raw sewage into our water systems is currently done by privatised companies with Government 'approval' as they are fully aware of what is happening and doing nothing about it. And at a time where water purification chemicals are in short supply and have to come from abroad (remember those non existent HGV drivers!). Now there is no comparison, but if you are going to mention VW, I do think it is 'true and fair' to mention this.

Scones Mon 27-Sep-21 21:30:18

Two new political parties today then.

The far-right group Britain First has registered as a political party after its application was approved by the Electoral Commission.

Paul Golding - " Against multiculturalism, Islamism, immigration and abortion."

or

Gina Miller - "Voters deserve better than the current politics of incompetence and self-interest."

lemongrove Mon 27-Sep-21 21:35:03

Neither are any good!
Miller will have to come up with some policies ( denigrating the government isn’t enough.)
Both Britain First and the Gina Miller one will both dwindle away on the edges of politics.

Scones Mon 27-Sep-21 21:38:57

Britain First already did.

PippaZ Mon 27-Sep-21 21:47:30

Urmstongran

I’d rather our FPTP voting than PR. Coalitions of groups just seem to produce more hot air (ahem, discussions) and decision making becomes very problematic for the poor electorate!

The problem is we have undemocratic coalitions under FPTP. The idea that the discussions that put governments together after the vote are "hot air" is a naive view of modern politics.

Coalition after the vote means more people feel they have representation. However, the coalitions formed within parties before an election feels undemocratic to many more voters. Voters, not all but many if not most, have a much more sophisticated knowledge of politics than the post-war generation. They want a say, not to be steam-rollered.

lemongrove Mon 27-Sep-21 21:53:15

Can’t see PR catching on here.

Kali2 Mon 27-Sep-21 22:27:37

Well, many of us can - including 80% of delegates at LP Conference today.

See-saw extremist politics are just so so destructive.

growstuff Mon 27-Sep-21 22:47:02

What the heck is this thread all about?

Gina Miller started the True and Fair Campaign in 2012 with her own money.

The only references I can find to her launching a new political party are in the red tops and similar. It's a traditional way for people with a mission to get their voices heard.

Sounds like part of the bread and circuses agenda.

growstuff Mon 27-Sep-21 22:53:01

Dinahmo

Urmstongran

Germany has had a coalition government throughout the period of Angela Merkel's Chancellorship. Germany is probably the most successful country in the EU. What's not to like?

Not only during Merkel's tenure, Germany has had coalition governments for most of the post WW2 period. It's the most stable country in Europe and has been hugely successful.

Where's the hot air Urmstongran? (apart from in the 99 Luftballons wink)

PippaZ Mon 27-Sep-21 22:57:00

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.