Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit finally being recognised as one of the causes of the crises

(220 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Oct-21 13:16:42

The BBC who has not mentioned Brexit at all for months has it appears finally opening the dam and no longer editing out any mention of the issue.

Business after business blaming Brexit for the crises.

Something we knew now being confirmed.

JenniferEccles Thu 14-Oct-21 15:28:08

Honestly will you ever give up this onslaught?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Oct-21 15:30:00

JenniferEccles

Honestly will you ever give up this onslaught?

Nope - I’m using my Democratic right to disagree.

LadyGracie Thu 14-Oct-21 15:31:33

No I don't think they will, it's done, albeit badly, change the blooming record! Get on with it, think about something else, stop finding all this doom and gloom everywhere.
Gransnet is not what it was!

growstuff Thu 14-Oct-21 16:18:38

So people are just supposed to shrug their shoulders and look the other way, are they?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Oct-21 16:26:43

I have another 35 years to go to catch up with those opposing our membership of the EU so be prepared for the long haul.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 14-Oct-21 16:27:27

All of us who voted to Remain are perfectly entitled to voice our opinion. Especially in the light of how badly the Brexit experiment is going. It is all hitting the proverbial fan, folks.

Teacheranne Thu 14-Oct-21 16:33:33

I voted Remain but I’m not crowing with delight at the problems we are facing right now, nor am I blaming Brexit for all of them. It’s pointless to do that and a waste of energy, some positive actions are needed by far businesses and politicians to focus on how to get through the next year or so.

rosie1959 Thu 14-Oct-21 16:42:28

Teacheranne

I voted Remain but I’m not crowing with delight at the problems we are facing right now, nor am I blaming Brexit for all of them. It’s pointless to do that and a waste of energy, some positive actions are needed by far businesses and politicians to focus on how to get through the next year or so.

Totally agree with your post I also voted remain

Boz Thu 14-Oct-21 16:47:24

A lot of people voted for Brexit in the hope that young people would take up the jobs done by a EU workforce. If this is going to work, and I am not convinced, you will have to give it time.
Personally, I feel we will creep back to bringing in the people we need to do jobs so unpalatable to Brits.. Boris is banking on the hope that if you pay people enough to do unpopular jobs, all will be well. I doubt it.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 14-Oct-21 16:55:57

The BBC have mentioned it loads of times! Just a few weeks ago, they mentioned it in a list of three things that have affected the HGV deliveries:
1. Covid
2. Brexit
3. Natural turnover of drivers.

That’s just one example.

lemongrove Thu 14-Oct-21 16:56:48

Teacheranne

Good post ?

Kali2 Thu 14-Oct-21 17:04:55

Who on earth is 'crowing with delight' wow!

So we are just supposed to put our head in the sand and sing lalalalalalala and let them continue to destroy all the wonderful things this amazing country is about.

NO!

MaizieD Thu 14-Oct-21 17:22:20

It's entirely personal choice as to how one reacts to difficulties caused by Brexit. I don't think it's a good thing to let Leave voters think that we're all happy about Brexit because they don't hear our voice when there are problems. Others feel differently.

No-one is obliged to read our posts.

winterwhite Thu 14-Oct-21 17:24:02

I voted Remain and I am appalled at the mess the country is in now. Some of it is due to Brexit itself, and those who never believed the assurances about easy oven-ready deals are entitled to remember that now.

Other problems are as bad as they are because first the urge to 'Get Brexit done' and then to look for BJ yes-men has filled the Cabinet with political lightweights.

Kapitan Thu 14-Oct-21 17:34:50

Whitewavemark2

The BBC who has not mentioned Brexit at all for months has it appears finally opening the dam and no longer editing out any mention of the issue.

Business after business blaming Brexit for the crises.

Something we knew now being confirmed.

Whitewavemark2. Did you forget to take your medicine again?

Alegrias1 Thu 14-Oct-21 17:36:52

winterwhite

I voted Remain and I am appalled at the mess the country is in now. Some of it is due to Brexit itself, and those who never believed the assurances about easy oven-ready deals are entitled to remember that now.

Other problems are as bad as they are because first the urge to 'Get Brexit done' and then to look for BJ yes-men has filled the Cabinet with political lightweights.

This^^ ??

HolySox Thu 14-Oct-21 17:37:43

Brexit was not a Tory policy - if you recall Cameron didn't want it, neither did Teresa May. Who wanted it? The British public. This is democracy! Took a number of years to bring in and many businesses made adjustments, where possible. As a nation we now need to adapt. For instance, nearly half of young people go to University so perhaps many of these could help with the harvesting over summer.

Alegrias1 Thu 14-Oct-21 17:39:27

Oh good grief...

Bring back National Service, that's the ticket.

Zoejory Thu 14-Oct-21 17:40:24

Kali2

Who on earth is 'crowing with delight' wow!

So we are just supposed to put our head in the sand and sing lalalalalalala and let them continue to destroy all the wonderful things this amazing country is about.

NO!

What are you going to do, Kali2, to stop them destroying all the wonderful things this amazing country is about?

Just what are you going to do?

Of course people can complain and moan until kingdom come, but what on earth can be physically done? Do you think we'll go back into the EU if people keep complaining? We won't.

I think there is a bit of schadenfreude going on with some posters.

Teacheranne's post is spot on.

GillT57 Thu 14-Oct-21 17:41:34

Alegrias1

Oh good grief...

Bring back National Service, that's the ticket.

They walk amongst us

AGAA4 Thu 14-Oct-21 17:43:58

I voted Remain but playing the blame game doesn't help anyone.

Urmstongran Thu 14-Oct-21 17:44:55

I think Covid & Brexit caused a perfect storm.
One OR the other would have been better managed.

Alegrias1 Thu 14-Oct-21 17:45:39

AGAA4

I voted Remain but playing the blame game doesn't help anyone.

Oh it does, it really does. ??

Next election, I'll be reminding everyone whose fault this is.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Oct-21 17:46:11

Urmstongran

I think Covid & Brexit caused a perfect storm.
One OR the other would have been better managed.

You forgot to add “with a competent government”