Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit finally being recognised as one of the causes of the crises

(221 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Oct-21 13:16:42

The BBC who has not mentioned Brexit at all for months has it appears finally opening the dam and no longer editing out any mention of the issue.

Business after business blaming Brexit for the crises.

Something we knew now being confirmed.

Alegrias1 Thu 14-Oct-21 17:47:13

Urmstongran

I think Covid & Brexit caused a perfect storm.
One OR the other would have been better managed.

Are you implying, Urmstongran, that Brexit hasn't been well managed?

Well, that's progress.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 14-Oct-21 17:47:31

One of my main worries concerning Brexit, is the fact that this country is now a laughing stock. One example. Our pork industry is failing badly because we don’t have enough abattoir staff or butchers. So what’s happening? We are doing deals with China to buy their pork. Then people like Rees Mogg say it will take decades to finally have any benefit from Brexit! Obviously he doesn’t care. He has shed loads of money, a lot of which is invested overseas. I’m sorry, but I feel as angry about this as I did back in 2016. We have a foolish government packed with Johnson’s yes men. He has kept anyone out who might have an original idea in how to go forward and sort out this whole debacle.

JenniferEccles Thu 14-Oct-21 17:49:35

Of course I’m not saying people aren’t entitled to voice their opinion but honestly, it’s becoming an obsession with some of you.
Can’t you see that?
Every single day another thread is started saying much the same as the one yesterday, last week, last month, in fact come to think of it, last year.

I KNOW some of you voted Remain in the referendum and some voted Labour or Lib Dem in the election and were understandably disappointed that the vote didn’t go your way, but isn’t it time to adopt a more positive outlook?

Yes mistakes have been made, and as far as leaving the EU is concerned, it’s still relatively early days.

We were tied in for getting on for half a century so obviously there are going to be some hurdles to overcome, but it was never going to happen quickly was it?

Deedaa Thu 14-Oct-21 17:51:18

Holysox the trouble is that the majority of university students are probably the generation that didn't want Brexit and certainly won't want to spend the summer harvesting. They also won't be available anyway for spring flowers and vegetables.

Perhaps if someone had thought to make plans before jumping in to carry out the wishes of the ADVISORY referendum we wouldn't be in this mess now.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Oct-21 17:56:06

JenniferEccles

Of course I’m not saying people aren’t entitled to voice their opinion but honestly, it’s becoming an obsession with some of you.
Can’t you see that?
Every single day another thread is started saying much the same as the one yesterday, last week, last month, in fact come to think of it, last year.

I KNOW some of you voted Remain in the referendum and some voted Labour or Lib Dem in the election and were understandably disappointed that the vote didn’t go your way, but isn’t it time to adopt a more positive outlook?

Yes mistakes have been made, and as far as leaving the EU is concerned, it’s still relatively early days.

We were tied in for getting on for half a century so obviously there are going to be some hurdles to overcome, but it was never going to happen quickly was it?

My strong advice would be for you to ignore all Brexit related threads.

Petera Thu 14-Oct-21 18:02:44

JenniferEccles

Honestly will you ever give up this onslaught?

Maybe you didn't read the title of the thread, but if you did you could have avoided reading it, let alone participating.

If you disagree, to use an old footballing phrase, play the ball not the (wo)man, or were you impressed with Gavin Williamson’s eloquence when he said that Russia should “…go away and shut up”.

Because that’s just what you have done.

GillT57 Thu 14-Oct-21 18:09:08

Nope. I will never stop reminding people of what they have voted for. Some may choose to rewrite history and claim this is what they voted for, but I don't believe that.

Zoejory Thu 14-Oct-21 18:10:12

Oh dear, Gavin Williamson and his go away and shut up. I can hear that voice in my head now. Not his best moment. In fact I don't think he had any good moments at all.

I suppose that's the best advice for me though. These threads are very repetitive and maybe it would be better for those that have the same mindset to exist in their echo chamber and those of us who have a different outlook should just go away and shut up.

So I'm off. And I'll shut up. With Gavin's dulcet tones ringing in. my ears.

Urmstongran Thu 14-Oct-21 18:17:21

I do think that the government could have handled Brexit or Covid better. Yes.

Urmstongran Thu 14-Oct-21 18:18:10

They’ve been firefighting for the last 18 months on BOTH fronts. Sadly.

Dinahmo Thu 14-Oct-21 18:26:27

Boz

A lot of people voted for Brexit in the hope that young people would take up the jobs done by a EU workforce. If this is going to work, and I am not convinced, you will have to give it time.
Personally, I feel we will creep back to bringing in the people we need to do jobs so unpalatable to Brits.. Boris is banking on the hope that if you pay people enough to do unpopular jobs, all will be well. I doubt it.

Never heard that reason for voting for Brexit before. Pigs might fly.

varian Thu 14-Oct-21 18:36:37

The Brexit Broadcasting Corporation has over the last five years stretched every sinew, every hyperbole, every unlikely explanation of the ghastly results of brexit to the point where their credibility is shot.

As that obsfucation and deception is no longer possible in the face of overwhelming evidence of the damage inflicted on our country by the Leave Liars, they may, rather late in the day, be starting to tell us the truth..

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Oct-21 18:44:29

varian

The Brexit Broadcasting Corporation has over the last five years stretched every sinew, every hyperbole, every unlikely explanation of the ghastly results of brexit to the point where their credibility is shot.

As that obsfucation and deception is no longer possible in the face of overwhelming evidence of the damage inflicted on our country by the Leave Liars, they may, rather late in the day, be starting to tell us the truth..

????

Kandinsky Thu 14-Oct-21 19:00:39

It literally is thread after thread, day in day out.
Brexit is clearly an obsession for a few posters on here which is why HQ really should introduce a ‘hide poster’ option - every other forum has one apart from MN/ GN.
They’re never going to stop moaning about it.

Dinahmo Thu 14-Oct-21 19:07:03

JenniferEccles

Can’t you see that?

Some Leavers complained (in the media) about Brexit since we joined the EU. So those of us who wanted to stay ain't going to give up any time soon.

Urmstongran Thu 14-Oct-21 19:07:47

Maybe we should just have the one and call it ‘Brexit’ and let it run up to 1,000 posts and then reopen ‘Brexit 2’ etc.
?

Dinahmo Thu 14-Oct-21 19:09:24

Kandinsky

It literally is thread after thread, day in day out.
Brexit is clearly an obsession for a few posters on here which is why HQ really should introduce a ‘hide poster’ option - every other forum has one apart from MN/ GN.
They’re never going to stop moaning about it.

It doesn't need a hid poster option. You can just ignore the threads. Or stay off the News and Politics forum.

Kandinsky Thu 14-Oct-21 19:27:32

Believe it or not, there are other things happening in the world that may interest people. Not everyone is obsessed with brexit. Maybe a brexit board is the way forward so that board could be hidden?

varian Thu 14-Oct-21 19:31:06

Climate change is the biggest threat to the future of our country, as it is to all countries, but no other country in the world has deliberately inflicted such harm upon itself as brexit.

Urmstongran Thu 14-Oct-21 19:33:18

Some countries are in the middle of civil wars varian.

varian Thu 14-Oct-21 19:36:23

Is that the best defense of brexit UG?????

Alegrias1 Thu 14-Oct-21 19:36:26

Urmstongran

They’ve been firefighting for the last 18 months on BOTH fronts. Sadly.

Firefighting is what you do when something comes up unexpectedly that you haven't planned for. They had 5 years. This is not firefighting, this is incompetence.

Katie59 Thu 14-Oct-21 19:37:30

Most of the Brexit damage has been done by our own choices, the refusal to have any EU involvement on anything. Aviation as an example, we could have remained in EASA, our UK system is not recognized by anyone. Transport, we could have permitted EU companies to operate in UK, result massive transport shortage. Labour, we could have allowed EU workers to continue in the UK, result Labour shortages across the board.
This political dogma is costing us dear, I don’t disagree with the aim to do more ourselves, it’s the way that the government did not have a clue what the effect of the policy would be and still don’t.
Incidentally offering EU drivers a 3 month visa help us out is producing results - 20 applications have been processed.

Kandinsky Thu 14-Oct-21 19:37:52

2 or 3 people are clogging up this board with endless threads about Brexit - it’s not fair on people ( the majority I’m sure ) who are bored stiff with it.
It’s time these posters had their own board so the rest of us can discuss other news & politics items.
Surely that makes sense?

varian Thu 14-Oct-21 19:39:50

What incredible vanity or ignorance or stupidity makes the ultra right wing classify themselves as "the majority"???