Gransnet forums

News & politics

Eustice bans foreign mineral waters ...

(215 Posts)
Kali2 Wed 27-Oct-21 10:50:07

to protect our own...

whilst they allow raw sewage to enter our waterways!!!

And then some here say that the EU is being petty. WTMF!

From 7 January, all those waters you know and love, Evian, San Pelegríno etc etc will be no more in the UK - Eustice has sent notification to this effect to the EU.

AviaParva Wed 27-Oct-21 18:52:15

Kali2 your thread title is factually incorrect.

MayBeMaw Wed 27-Oct-21 18:57:03

As Mark Twain said “Never let the facts get in the way of a good story”

Kali2 Wed 27-Oct-21 19:17:23

AviaParva

I'd be very grateful if you could correct me.

lemongrove Wed 27-Oct-21 19:22:13

MayBeMaw

^From 7 January, all those waters you know and love, Evian, San Pelegríno etc etc will be no more in the UK - Eustice has sent notification to this effect to the EU^
Speak for yourself, No great loss.
Eau du robinet is fine for me!

It’s fine for me too!?
Bottled water in the UK is a joke....we don’t need it.We don’t need Buxton bottled water or Scottish either, but if you must have some, then yes, buy British.

Kali2 Wed 27-Oct-21 19:22:26

MayBeMaw

^Maw - massive, dear, massive^

Really?

The pouring of tons of raw sewage into our waters certainly is- and won't help with cutting down the amount of bottled water, for sure.

Eau du robinet is great for me, for sure. It is very clean, limestone mountain water and delicious.

Zoejory Wed 27-Oct-21 19:27:27

Most youngsters today use Chilly bottles. All mine and their peers have them.

As for this hysteria about sewerage, do some research. The EU have rules but they're not kept. This article from 2 years ago.

www.euronews.com/green/2021/09/04/swimming-in-sewage-how-can-we-fix-europe-s-smelly-rivers

As for cruise liners, they dump all their raw sewerage into the sea.

Stop getting carried away with media reports

AviaParva Wed 27-Oct-21 19:29:08

Kali2

AviaParva

Hi, maybe you should authenticate the title of your thread. ?

Kali2 Wed 27-Oct-21 19:30:52

So you are happy about the tons of sewage currently being poured in all UK waters Zoejory. Never, ever, has this happened to this vast extent, and WITH the thumbs up of the Government. And yes, this is a massive WTF.

lemongrove Wed 27-Oct-21 19:33:44

Zoejory ??????

AviaParva Wed 27-Oct-21 19:35:20

AviaParva

Kali2

AviaParva

Hi, maybe you should authenticate the title of your thread. ?

And here’s mine
www.gov.uk/guidance/recognition-of-natural-mineral-water-inside-and-outside-the-uk

Kali2 Wed 27-Oct-21 19:38:43

OK, the actual letter says

Dear Ms Gallina,

After the end of the transition period, Directive 2009/54/EC no longer applies to the United
Kingdom, with the exception of the United Kingdom in respect of Northern Ireland.

As you are aware, the UK Government legislated to roll over the recognition of all existing
recognised EU natural mineral waters after the end of the Transition Period for a period of
six months.

I am therefore serving you notice of cessation of accreditation of the established EU
recognised natural mineral waters which will cease in England from January 7 2022, in
accordance with The Natural Mineral Water, Spring Water and Bottled Water (England)
Regulations 2007, regulation 9A.

As a consequence, all natural mineral waters which obtained their recognition in or by an
EU member state will no longer be authorised for import into England as natural mineral
waters, unless they are recognised as such by a responsible authority of the United Kingdom
with the exception of Northern Ireland.

Those producers affected by these measures will be able to apply for recognition from today.
Further information can be found at our GOV.UK website1.

I would be grateful if you could communicate this information to all EUMS. I will also write
separately to inform the Icelandic Food and Veterinary Authority and the Norwegian Food
Safety Authority.

Yours sincerely,

So you are correct, they will not be banned altogether, but will have to apply for recognition. There is however no garantee whatsoever that recognition will be granted. But thanks AviaParvia.

Kali2 Wed 27-Oct-21 19:40:37

I am not able to change the title of the thread. But actually think it is correct- bottled waters from EU will be banned- until they seek, and are, possibly, given recognition.

lemongrove Wed 27-Oct-21 19:41:18

Who cares?

Kali2 Wed 27-Oct-21 20:08:15

Indeed- the irony has passed you by.

It is petty retaliation, and the timing, with raw sewage being poured by the tons into UK waters ... it's OK, you don't have to get it, I didn't expect you to.

Casdon Wed 27-Oct-21 20:09:22

It’s an oddly worded letter isn’t it, switches between United Kingdom and England throughout. I wonder if that means if they use a Scottish or Welsh port it can still be imported?

Jane71 Wed 27-Oct-21 20:25:48

whilst they allow raw sewage to enter our waterways!!!

I think we can all agree that this is disgusting, but I'm afraid its a result of neglect of our infrastructure by sucessive governments. Our sewerage system is still largely Victorian.

Regarding bottled water, I've never understood why people buy it.

Chewbacca Wed 27-Oct-21 20:30:12

Doesn't matter which end of the stick you grab Kali2 it's always the wrong one.

Scones Wed 27-Oct-21 20:34:21

A quick search on this seems to show that this is only being reported in the Mail, Sun, Express and Telegraph.

If I have it right Eustice is not banning foreign mineral water, but is saying that suppliers have to seek a permit to show that the water meets UK food standards.

If this is like previous stories in the right wing press e.g. bent bananas, vacuum cleaners, lightbulbs, then perhaps it is just a story concocted to make us think our government are being tough on the EU when in fact there's a perfectly tedious administrative reason for it.

Or perhaps it's a 'pretty lights' distraction from rising prices, sewage in waterways or 207 new covid deaths.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 27-Oct-21 20:44:23

Another day, another scare…

I expect that bottled water shelves will be emptied ODQ…

Zoejory Wed 27-Oct-21 20:54:51

I would love to think that no raw sewage was being leaked into any waterway or sea anywhere in the world. Sadly, that's not going to happen any time soon.

I have no interest in bottled water from anywhere. My taps suit me just fine. My AC and GC have Chilly bottles which they fill with tap water.

But to get so stirred up about something that has been happening forever is strange

I used to live in Devon. Have you not heard of Sufers agains Sewage, Kali2?

Maybe do a spot of research on the subject. You'll probably be horrified.

Cruise ships dump billions of the stuff in the oceans every year .

MerylStreep Wed 27-Oct-21 21:05:31

Chewbacca ?

Scones
Now we know we don’t have to worry because we’re always being told that those newspapers lie through their teeth.
So, to summarise: nothing to see here folks, move along.

Scones Wed 27-Oct-21 21:09:21

It's not good though is it Zoejory I mean, pollution of our waterways is something worth getting really stirred up about. I've been stirred up about it for years, campaigning and active in cleaning our waterways and beaches too.

It's also not, as you say, 'leaked'. It is poured into rivers and oceans throughout the UK, thousands of gallons a day, for days and days on end all year, every year.

There's another thread on GN about this issue (called wild swimming) which Kali2 has been all over and she seems very well read up and passionate on the subject to me so I don't really understand your criticism here.

Scones Wed 27-Oct-21 21:13:18

MerylStreep I think you're probably right that there's nothing here to see. Can't blame anyone for questioning the situation though as on face value, as it was presented in the press, it did seem fairly petty. I don't think those papers lie through their teeth, but like most media, they have their bias and their paymasters.

Kali2 Wed 27-Oct-21 21:14:19

''I used to live in Devon. Have you not heard of Sufers agains Sewage, Kali2?

Maybe do a spot of research on the subject. You'll probably be horrified.''

I am very aware of Surfers against sewage, and know Devon very well too. Never ever has it happened on that scale, and never ever with Government official approval. Perhaps a bit of research would help. And yes, one of the reasons I will not go on cruises is for that reason. It's disgusting. Not many of those huge cruise ships use the Channel- only for departure and arrival and they make sure they dump way beyond UK waters.

I am good at throwing sticks, with all the dogs I've had- any end wil do- they fly just as well.

JaneJudge Wed 27-Oct-21 21:16:50

I don't understand why these companies are not liable for the infrastructure as they are private companies?

were they just rent the sewers etc? If so, why were we being charged on top?

The government sold them off at some point and they are still paying their selves huge bonuses, so what is actually happening??

I am not retired and have to take bottled water into work. The kitchen is filthy so I'd rather take my own = practical