Gransnet forums

News & politics

Eustice bans foreign mineral waters ...

(215 Posts)
Kali2 Wed 27-Oct-21 10:50:07

to protect our own...

whilst they allow raw sewage to enter our waterways!!!

And then some here say that the EU is being petty. WTMF!

From 7 January, all those waters you know and love, Evian, San Pelegríno etc etc will be no more in the UK - Eustice has sent notification to this effect to the EU.

Kali2 Fri 29-Oct-21 16:01:57

Well well Lincslass, you are not very fond of the French, are you?

But the French hold all the cards now, backed by 26 other partners. If you are going to really annoy all your nearests neighbours, especially when geographically they hold all the ports, imports and exports, and some of you most necessary utilities, be it energy, medicines, and in this instance, water purifying chemicals- your comments and those of Eustice and co- are not going to help much.

Did you go to the same school as Raab and had the same geography teacher (and history)?

Lincslass Fri 29-Oct-21 16:35:32

Kali2

But the French hold all the cards now, backed by 26 other partners. If you are going to really annoy all your nearests neighbours, especially when geographically they hold all the ports, imports and exports, and some of you most necessary utilities, be it energy, medicines, and in this instance, water purifying chemicals- your comments and those of Eustice and co- are not going to help much.

Did you go to the same school as Raab and had the same geography teacher (and history)?

Oh dear, I’ve committed the grave sin of daring to criticise the. French Government again. So it’s ok in your eyes for the French to break the rules I guess, who obviously aren’t sticking to the agreement, in fact they are theiving, along with Spain , I find you rude and condescending to anyone who even dares point out the French are in the wrong, and what is this thing you have re geography. What a snide comment .

GagaJo Fri 29-Oct-21 17:15:20

Kali2

Now I can agree with your last sentence Gabrielle- but not sure about what it applies to, wow!

In the meantime, as someone said perfectly well on the BBC site

''Starting a trade war when you already have massive supply chain problems and food shortages, Christmas food (especially meats) will need to be imported as farming has collapsed, winter is coming and your opponent can switch off your gas and electricity at will... plus your international reputation is garbage so you can rely on no tangible support is... well... so very Brexit! ''

Exactly.

Still, I need to lose weight.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 29-Oct-21 17:35:24

Kali2

Not quiet as clear cut as you are implying…

MerylStreep Fri 29-Oct-21 17:42:26

I do hope they aren’t going to test any sea water anytime soon anywhere near Le Havre.
Who’s to know if the the crap is from our fishing boats or the French fishing boats ?

MerylStreep Fri 29-Oct-21 17:49:04

I know some might not be able to read the whole article, but the headline tells you enough. www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2021/10/17/french-fishermen-threaten-channel-blockade-france-fails-secure/

MaizieD Fri 29-Oct-21 17:51:07

From BBC Newsround:

The boat was found to not have the correct paperwork to fish in that particular part of the English channel.

(Or, as the French call it 'La Manche'. Calling it the 'English Channel' is misleading. The boat was in French territorial waters)

www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/59089702

Josianne Fri 29-Oct-21 18:34:44

Seems everyone thinks they own that stretch of water, dating back to the Celts:
Breton: Mor Breizh, "Sea of Brittany";
Cornish: Mor Bretannek, "British Sea")

Kali2 Fri 29-Oct-21 18:57:50

You can think what you want of Macron, or the French, or the EU, or who is right or wrong...

but there are 26 of them supporting France, and they hold the keys to all the ports, in and out.

As Raab said ... (geography).

railman Sat 30-Oct-21 18:10:51

It's been a while since I last looked at this thread, and ... wow! ... it's certainly covered a fair bit of ground in the meantime.

From the earbuds down the toilet, along with tile spacers, to the French impounding a Scottish fishing vessel.

I know we all get excited about some of these topics from time to time, and our choice of comments - yes, even mine grin - can be a bit near the knuckle, and probably based on our mood or emotional reaction.

But... please be kind whenever you can - we may disagree over the actions of Frostie (Lord Frost) and Macron - but we are literally all in the same boat. Many of us - and I know you're out there - have been banging on about the environment, and the 'limits to growth (economic)' for decades.

We may well be stymied by those we have elected at the moment - but the circumstances will change - at present it seems all many of us can do is hope that change comes soon.

Calistemon Sat 30-Oct-21 18:23:40

It's been a while since I last looked at this thread, and ... wow! ... it's certainly covered a fair bit of ground in the meantime.

From the earbuds down the toilet, along with tile spacers, to the French impounding a Scottish fishing vessel.

It certainly entered choppy waters, railman grin

It's when you find an earbud in your bottled water that you need to start worrying.

Kali2 Sat 30-Oct-21 21:10:26

Biden's hidden message re the USA have no older nor more loyal than the French was clear as a bell. So we know who the whole of EU and USA will be standing by in next few weeks and months.

Kali2 Sat 30-Oct-21 21:10:48

That is a LOT of them.

Molly10 Sun 31-Oct-21 18:38:03

Anyone remember Peckham Water?

This thread reminds me so much of Del Boy.