Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will the Nation accept an apology? Will you?

(439 Posts)
Kali2 Wed 12-Jan-22 12:59:55

I won't, for sure.

GillT57 Fri 14-Jan-22 12:41:47

FannyCornforth

‘Are you sure there are no women here?’

grin grin

spabbygirl Fri 14-Jan-22 13:42:05

Corbyn/Labour would have been a much better leader, he's have led with care & compassion for ordinary people and there would have been no billion pound contracts for their mates. we'd have had a better death rate, policies made with care, such a real protective ring round care homes with people allowed in only if they test negative thus saving lives of existing occupants etc. Now Boris has his senior civil servant employee writing a report which will be returned to - Boris, how impartial is that?

Farzanah Fri 14-Jan-22 14:40:38

I was soooo wrong about this government.
I thought they couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery ?
I agree about lack of independence. Basically marking their own homework.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 14-Jan-22 14:43:30

In your dreams spabby.

FannyCornforth Fri 14-Jan-22 14:54:17

I cannot stand Johnson spabby,
but it’s totally impossible to say how another government would have dealt with the pandemic, especially one under Corbyn.
I know that it’s wrong to speculate on his views based on those of his brother, but…

MaizieD Fri 14-Jan-22 14:59:21

I know that it’s wrong to speculate on his views based on those of his brother, but…

It's definitely wrong. maddyone. I have siblings whose views I completely disagree with. Assigning guilt by association is a very questionable thing to do...

Pammie1 Fri 14-Jan-22 15:01:29

No. He’s not sorry it happened, just that they’ve been caught out. He’s misled Parliament and that’s a resignation offence - even if it wasn’t, I think eventually there will be no way out for him. He claims he didn’t know there were parties going on, and was under the impression that the ones he attended were ‘staff meetings.’ As PM he should have ensured that he and his staff were adhering to the rules which applied to everyone else at the time. He didn’t, and ignorance is no excuse.

According to the news this morning there’s more evidence to come to light, and I don’t think it will take more than one more revelation to make his position impossible. He needs to jump before he’s pushed.

MaizieD Fri 14-Jan-22 15:02:21

Germanshepherdsmum

In your dreams spabby.

Your nightmares, maybe, Gsm, but they have no logic to them. Especially when you consider the PM himself and the shower of second rate incompetents he has chosen for his cabinet.

There is no earthly reason why a Corbyn government couldn't have done better.

FannyCornforth Fri 14-Jan-22 15:04:01

I know Maizie. I don’t disagree.

I did acknowledge that it was wrong. But people do do it.

My father (honestly, the loveliest man in the world) has a brother who is most definitely a baddun.

And it’s Fanny, not Maddy btw smile

FannyCornforth Fri 14-Jan-22 15:07:41

Maizie my comment at 15.04 was to yours at 14.59

Although I admit that it’s wrong to associate Jeremy with Piers, I still think that he was something of an unknown quantity- he wasn’t exactly clear about B**
(And I speak as one who voted for him)

MaizieD Fri 14-Jan-22 15:08:52

^And it’s Fanny, not Maddy btw*

Oh goodness, I'm getting worse at this. blush

I sincerely apologise to you and to maddy, fanny

FannyCornforth Fri 14-Jan-22 15:10:18

Don’t be daft, it’s fine ! I’m sure Maddy won’t mind either!

Kali2 Fri 14-Jan-22 15:48:34

So, who on earth is Sue Gray

bbc.in/3K5OzSG

Lucca Fri 14-Jan-22 16:37:55

Sue Gray ? Here

MayBee70 Fri 14-Jan-22 16:38:51

I can see folk songs being written about Sue Gray in the future. Already several poems appearing.

HolySox Fri 14-Jan-22 17:22:58

It seems the garden of No 10 is part of the working space. It is not a public open space nor Boris's private back garden. I imagine staff saw they were attending a work event and certainly not going to a 'party' - and not breaking tge law. As for taking their own booze ... may well be a work cultural thing. Staff may have expected booze to be provided so were being told to bring their own. Don't know. Never worked in these circles but appreciate some work cultures involve alchohol.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=vnbSKo7IGJc

Pammie1 Fri 14-Jan-22 17:54:35

HolySox

It seems the garden of No 10 is part of the working space. It is not a public open space nor Boris's private back garden. I imagine staff saw they were attending a work event and certainly not going to a 'party' - and not breaking tge law. As for taking their own booze ... may well be a work cultural thing. Staff may have expected booze to be provided so were being told to bring their own. Don't know. Never worked in these circles but appreciate some work cultures involve alchohol.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=vnbSKo7IGJc

But do other ‘work cultures’ include dancing until the early hours of the morning and sending colleagues out with brief cases to the local off licence for more booze ? The party on the eve of Prince Philip’s funeral supposedly took place in the basement. If there’s a dance floor and music it’s most definitely not to be confused with a ‘work event’.

Kali2 Fri 14-Jan-22 19:06:34

Sajid is my older brother but, as I like to remind him, I was the leader of the gang and by far the most street-smart. It’s fashionable to criticise the police these days, but to anyone considering it as a career I’d say: do it. There’s no other job like it. It’s hard but it’s satisfying. We believe in the oath we take, to serve the Queen ‘with fairness, integrity, diligence and impartiality’. Above all, we’re a family.

---

One of my jobs is ‘executive lead’ for frontline policing on Covid, trying to work out how to handle this strange and unsettling situation. The difficulty is finding the right balance. We don’t want to alienate the public but we need to uphold the law, and we must find our way without being too distracted by the media — and by critics who say we’re too hard one minute and the next that we’re not enforcing the regulations enough. The truth is that anyone who’s looking for certainty about how the virus will behave, or how we will respond, will be disappointed. But isn’t it better to be careful? Remember: most disaster movies start with the government ignoring a scientist…

I’m also often asked why I stay. The answer to that is that despite all the challenges I’d rather be here, playing my part in making my country that little bit safer, than anywhere else.

Bas Javid is a commander in the Metropolitan Police. ''

rocketstop Fri 14-Jan-22 19:25:54

No, No No. Apology not sincere.Everyone is allowed one mistake, maybe even two, but he's the PM and made mistake after mistake while only admitting it when he got found out. Not good enough.

HolySox Fri 14-Jan-22 19:34:44

Pammie1. So does 'other parties' mean the government were running around irresponsibly at a time we were told to behave?
I don't know the inner workings of high office work but I suspect the cabinet meeting by Zoom then emailing instructions probably is not how it works. More likely there is 'wheeling and dealing' to get things done face to face. A need for human interaction. That's what they did.
We (well the media) demanded information, PPE, more hospitals (Nightingale), vaccines, more testing, compensation for loss of earnings, etc. I imagine the government did this in the most efficient manner they know in the way they have always worked to our benefit. Now there is light at the end of the pandemic tunnel the vultures are gathering.
Die-hard Tories don't want lockdowns affecting business (recent revolt on COVID passes to nightclubs) - BREXIT is done so no need for Boris.
Labour will likely have locked us all in, bankrupted the country and left us last in the queue for vaccines.
I think Boris was the right man so we hit the middle ground, thankfully.

Bossyrossy Fri 14-Jan-22 19:55:24

BJ is just an Eton educated Trump. He should be sacked if he doesn’t resign.

Lucca Fri 14-Jan-22 20:03:29

Labour will likely have locked us all in, bankrupted the country and left us last in the queue for vaccines

What do you base this on ?

GillT57 Fri 14-Jan-22 20:08:04

Anti labour prejudice at a guess? Regular reading of august publications such as The Mail and The Sun? Read it on the other side of the bus promising £350m a week to the NHS?

MayBee70 Fri 14-Jan-22 20:08:39

If I had a pound for every time I’d heard ‘Sue Gray’ or ‘vaccines roll out’ I’d be rich. I think any MP’s that end up being interviewed on tv are advised to mention vaccines roll out.

M0nica Fri 14-Jan-22 21:15:36

Holysox Stop making excuses. No 10 and those who worked and lived there set the rules. They should have been the people obeying them most rigidly, not playing silly games saying 'Well, the garden is part of the office'.

They should have been saying that we set the rules and anyone who disobeys them is 'out, bag and baggage.

Will I accept an apology, absolutely not and the polls today suggest the nation will not either.

The behaviour of an organisation is decided by its leader/manager/ call them what you will. In my working life I worked for a number of managers and you quickly learnt what each manager would or would not accept on everything from what we were called and called each other. In the 60s, I had one that insisted on us all being Miss/Mrs/Mr and surname at every level, even though elsewhere christian names were common.

Boris Johnson was the manager of the No 10 organisation and he set the tone. Everyone knew that he held all the rules in contempt and did not think they applied to him and that as far as he was concerned they could do what they like, providing they were not found out. Once they were found out, out they went: Dominic Cummings, Neil Ferguson and other high profile figures, but like everything else when Boris is found out, the rules do not apply to him, so he stays (for the time being)