Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will the Nation accept an apology? Will you?

(439 Posts)
Kali2 Wed 12-Jan-22 12:59:55

I won't, for sure.

Pammie1 Fri 14-Jan-22 21:34:27

HolySox

*Pammie1*. So does 'other parties' mean the government were running around irresponsibly at a time we were told to behave?
I don't know the inner workings of high office work but I suspect the cabinet meeting by Zoom then emailing instructions probably is not how it works. More likely there is 'wheeling and dealing' to get things done face to face. A need for human interaction. That's what they did.
We (well the media) demanded information, PPE, more hospitals (Nightingale), vaccines, more testing, compensation for loss of earnings, etc. I imagine the government did this in the most efficient manner they know in the way they have always worked to our benefit. Now there is light at the end of the pandemic tunnel the vultures are gathering.
Die-hard Tories don't want lockdowns affecting business (recent revolt on COVID passes to nightclubs) - BREXIT is done so no need for Boris.
Labour will likely have locked us all in, bankrupted the country and left us last in the queue for vaccines.
I think Boris was the right man so we hit the middle ground, thankfully.

You’re trying to excuse the inexcusable. The government set the rules, they should have abided by them. They asked the people of this country to make sacrifices - how many families lost loved ones in the most tragic of circumstances ? Loved ones who died alone in hospitals and nursing homes, because people were following lockdown rules thinking they were doing the right thing. Now we find that as always with the Tories, it’s one rule for us and another for them. It’s completely unacceptable and they should all be ashamed of themselves. The buck stops with Boris, he should accept responsibility and go.

Lucca Fri 14-Jan-22 21:59:00

Good post Monica

MayBee70 Fri 14-Jan-22 23:19:50

Sounds as though he’s planning to sack people and scrap Plan B to make the public like him. I was only thinking tonight: has Johnson ever spoken about his political ideology? Does he have one? Even Farage has one, albeit an odious one. What does he stand for?

M0nica Sat 15-Jan-22 08:16:47

MayBee70 Boris Johnson's ideology is quite clear. It is the Boris Johnson ideology: Me, Me, Me, I am climbing a greasy pole and I am determined to get to the top of it and I do not care a toss how I get there. I will lie and cheat and turn my coat whenever I find it expedient to achieve my goal. Once there I do not give a toss about the job and other people, as long as I can continue to do whatever I want to do, whenever i want to do it.

Urmstongran Sat 15-Jan-22 08:23:12

This made me laugh. A flash mob of 100 gathered outside No 10 yesterday wearing Boris masks and wigs, playing music, drinking beer and crying ‘it’s a work event’!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 15-Jan-22 08:32:17

One thing that I would be happy to show the world is that we had more sense than USA and removed our narcissistic pound shop Trump pdq as soon as we saw how useless and divisive he is.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 15-Jan-22 08:42:29

Times is reporting that Gray is concerned that officials are hiding the truth from her investigation.

In which case she should refuse to produce the report.

Chestnut Sat 15-Jan-22 09:23:20

I'm not so concerned about people who work together meeting up and talking as I am about the excessive use of alcohol. If it's true they were bringing in suitcases of alcohol and this was part of the culture then that's completely wrong. I don't care whether people who work together stand inside or outside to discuss work matters. But drinking excessive amounts of alcohol in the workplace is unacceptable.

Kali2 Sat 15-Jan-22 09:55:35

Whitewavemark2

Times is reporting that Gray is concerned that officials are hiding the truth from her investigation.

Indeed, and to explain clearly, why.

MaizieD Sat 15-Jan-22 10:36:32

Whitewavemark2

But Gray is known to be a dab hand at advising civil servants to get rid of evidence and how best to do it...

The biter bitten...

varian Sat 15-Jan-22 12:02:54

As a civil servant Sue Gray does not have the power needed to get answers and impose penalties.

This investigation should be carried out by a judge, and / or senior police officer.

MaizieD Sat 15-Jan-22 14:19:59

varian

As a civil servant Sue Gray does not have the power needed to get answers and impose penalties.

This investigation should be carried out by a judge, and / or senior police officer.

They need to be investigated by the police.

There were parties. Johnson has admitted there were parties, some of which he went to. The parties broke covid regulations.

What is there for any other body to 'investigate' ?

Kali2 Sat 15-Jan-22 19:16:00

Not Bas Javid though, Commissioner in the Met in charge of Covid safety! Yes, his brother.

Kali2 Sun 16-Jan-22 14:46:01

Apparently, he is planning on mass sackings around him to deflect from him. Will it wash with you?

MayBee70 Sun 16-Jan-22 14:56:16

It doesn’t matter what carnage he creates to either gain power or keep it. I just hope that people can now see beyond his carefully cultivated cuddly funny Boris image. He is totally ruthless. He has no political ideology other than letting him and everybody else do whatever they like regardless of how that affects other people.

Pammie1 Sun 16-Jan-22 15:05:51

Whitewavemark2

One thing that I would be happy to show the world is that we had more sense than USA and removed our narcissistic pound shop Trump pdq as soon as we saw how useless and divisive he is.

Yes but look at what they replaced Trump with !!

Casdon Sun 16-Jan-22 15:25:50

That’s not the same equation though Pammiel. Biden was appointed as the result of an election, and from a different party, whereas Johnson will be replaced as leader from within his own party.

varian Sun 16-Jan-22 17:32:23

Is this the bus that the underlings in number ten will be thrown under?

M0nica Sun 16-Jan-22 17:55:49

All the rumours of Boris clearing out staff at No 10, sacking half the cabinet reminds me of the summary of the 6 stages of a project, or it could be describing this governement. We currently have reached stage 4, or possibly still at stage 3.

1. Enthusiasm,
2. Disillusionment,
3. Panic,
4. Search for the guilty,
5. Punishment of the innocent, and
6. Praise and honor for the nonparticipants.

Kali2 Sun 16-Jan-22 18:01:12

I don't think the 'people' will let him get past stage 5 this time!
Maybe not even the Tories.

Kali2 Sun 16-Jan-22 21:32:22

He can silence the BBC, but people will find other ways to say what they have to say. Like this

www.facebook.com/radiofreezeitgeist/.

Calistemon Sun 16-Jan-22 23:30:21

He can silence the BBC, but people will find other ways to say what they have to say

Really?

People who lean to the right think the BBC is biased to the left and the converse is true for those on the left!

Iam64 Mon 17-Jan-22 11:49:35

Calistemon, the polarised views of the bbc ‘bias’ are one of life’s perpetual mysteries

Calistemon Mon 17-Jan-22 11:51:01

Perhaps the BBC has got it right!

Allsorts Mon 17-Jan-22 12:14:46

I wouldn’t look on facebook or twitter, for unbiased views. In fact I am not on them. I tried facebook, but all those friends showing every thing they do, plates of food, where they were going for coffee or holiday. Why! As for Johnson his cards well and truly marked. If we have to look in depth at most people in the public eye, I doubt you you find many without something to hide. To lose the highest position in the UK has to be the craziest reason ever, most people spend their lives avoiding them.