Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will the Nation accept an apology? Will you?

(439 Posts)
Kali2 Wed 12-Jan-22 12:59:55

I won't, for sure.

varian Tue 18-Jan-22 09:28:36

The Marsh family are waiting for Sue Gray's Inquiry

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qYJo9zzqeE

M0nica Tue 18-Jan-22 15:08:12

DD used to work for the BBC some years ago. Her opinion of the organisation and its bias is unprintable.

She said no one working there would dare admit to any religious beliefs and politically most employees were well to the left of centre and no one would dare admit they supported the Conservatives, either.

Casdon Tue 18-Jan-22 15:15:29

But Sky and ITV News are more scathing of what’s been happening than the BBC are, which says something as they are both more independent than the BBC.

MayBee70 Tue 18-Jan-22 15:18:10

We watch Sky News most of the time. I find them more balanced than BBC which rarely seems to show anything anti government. Or, if it does so is way behind other channels.

Casdon Tue 18-Jan-22 15:22:33

I agree MayBee70, there are reasons why the leaks are not being given to the BBC first. Their hands are tied.

varian Tue 18-Jan-22 16:29:49

Perhaps there was a time when the BBC staff were mostly left wing but I don't think that has been the case for many years. Most BBC political staff such as Andrew Neil (very influential until last year), Laura Kuennsberg, Nick Robinson, are right wing.

The worst political bias is the unquestioning acceptance of the undemocratic First Past The Post voting system and their tendency to refer to a Tory landslide when most voters voted against the Tories. They have never given fair coverage to the LibDems. Even after the recent spectacular byelection, there was no LibDem invited onto Any Questions that week.

The BBC actively promoted Farage by inviting him on Question Time no less than 29 times in the run-up to the EU referendum and so contributed to the disaster of brexit.

I do think that BBC staff tend to be socially liberal, supporting diversity at least as far as sexual orientation and ethnicity is concerned and this leads conservatives to talk about "political correctness gone mad" and "wokeness" and accuse them of being "lefties" which is encouraged by the right wing press.

EngTech Tue 18-Jan-22 17:39:25

I would call a GE and get KS in

He would have to come up with some policies very quickly though ???

MayBee70 Tue 18-Jan-22 17:55:36

It’s probably already been mentioned but let’s not forget that a beautiful young woman died because she willingly went with a murderous policeman because she was told she was breaking lockdown rules. That’s how strict the government were being at the time with people that didn’t follow those rules.

Keffie12 Tue 18-Jan-22 20:19:24

No! This government and Johnson have bought this country to it knees. I could go on for pages. I won't. I'll sum it up with this link by J.O.B who sums it up perfectly

youtu.be/YzwufOxle0E

Keffie12 Tue 18-Jan-22 20:26:23

Oh and just to add in, people say Keir is dull. Si flipping what. Well I want my country back Keir is dull however decent and that is what we need back.

I have had enough of populist buffoon policies by liars and charlatans. It never was funny and it gets less so by the day

Never in any lifetime have we had a government who are lead by a compulsive liar, charlatan, serial cheat, abuser and is only about Boris with his pied pipes idiots following

Just go Boris and take the rest of your lieing corrupt government with you.

George Orewell 1984 is the epitome of prophecy come true

Maggie is turning in her grave

MayBee70 Tue 18-Jan-22 20:27:18

What’s interesting is that some young people I speak to are also annoyed with Johnson but they don’t, unlike me, think that he didn’t control the pandemic enough, they think that if he was partying all the time the measures the government took were unnecessary and were just a means of controlling us. Because, if covid was so dangerous, why were they all mixing socially.

MaizieD Tue 18-Jan-22 22:00:25

MayBee70

What’s interesting is that some young people I speak to are also annoyed with Johnson but they don’t, unlike me, think that he didn’t control the pandemic enough, they think that if he was partying all the time the measures the government took were unnecessary and were just a means of controlling us. Because, if covid was so dangerous, why were they all mixing socially.

I've seen that suggested on here, too, Maybee.

Do they think that the thousands of excess deaths are insignificant, too?

MayBee70 Tue 18-Jan-22 22:16:45

I’m afraid I think they think it’s just old people that are dying. I don’t really want to get into an argument with them. At least they’re seeing that Johnson is a liar. I despaired of ever seeing the day when people realised that, no matter how glaringly obvious it was.