Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will the Nation accept an apology? Will you?

(439 Posts)
Kali2 Wed 12-Jan-22 12:59:55

I won't, for sure.

paddyann54 Wed 12-Jan-22 17:14:16

As for his great Brexit success,30 mile long queues of lorry on both the French side and the English today .Thats THIRTY MILE LONG QUEUES!!

lemongrove Wed 12-Jan-22 17:36:39

Holysox I certainly give Johnson credit for getting Parliament out of the doldrums as regards Brexit, and also give him credit ( and his team) for backing Astra Zenica vaccines and the subsequent roll out of vaccines.The UK is now doing very well for being a more open economy and life is feeling more normal, albeit a new normal.
That’s why he is his own worst enemy with the smaller things.... be it gold wallpaper, staff parties at number ten or any other bungling or lies going on.
I think he has had his chance with being PM and must realise that after May has come and gone, then very likely so will the top job. Am hoping Jeremy Hunt will be chosen as a successor.

lemongrove Wed 12-Jan-22 17:38:37

Baggs

That comment BJ made about sending everyone back inside…. I fail to see how that would have helped. Anyone?

No, it would have been worse really, as they would be inside!
However, to comply with the lockdown laws at the time, then yes they should either have been working or not there at all.

Boz Wed 12-Jan-22 17:41:59

lemongrove

Holysox I certainly give Johnson credit for getting Parliament out of the doldrums as regards Brexit, and also give him credit ( and his team) for backing Astra Zenica vaccines and the subsequent roll out of vaccines.The UK is now doing very well for being a more open economy and life is feeling more normal, albeit a new normal.
That’s why he is his own worst enemy with the smaller things.... be it gold wallpaper, staff parties at number ten or any other bungling or lies going on.
I think he has had his chance with being PM and must realise that after May has come and gone, then very likely so will the top job. Am hoping Jeremy Hunt will be chosen as a successor.

I totally agree.

Calistemon Wed 12-Jan-22 17:42:18

It's not just the Opposition parties and voters who are appalled - many Tory MPs are too as are party members and those who voted Conservative, Holysox.

There is no excuse.
It wasn't the only party they held.

MaizieD Wed 12-Jan-22 17:47:22

Calistemon

It's not just the Opposition parties and voters who are appalled - many Tory MPs are too as are party members and those who voted Conservative, Holysox.

There is no excuse.
It wasn't the only party they held.

And it wasn't the only party he went to. He admitted as much in his 'apology'

Chestnut Wed 12-Jan-22 17:51:56

lemongrove

Lemongrove is spot on as usual. We certainly appreciate the good things Boris has done but he has let himself down so badly with these ridiculous capers. It's such a shame really. He is a charismatic character who could have done so well if he had behaved himself and been more responsible.

Farzanah Wed 12-Jan-22 17:54:15

What has surprised me is that Johnson’s dishonesty, lack of integrity and responsibility has been common knowledge for some time, and seemingly the public have come to expect and tolerate such failings, but are now shocked.

What is disappointing is that many other members of parliament must have known about these “gatherings” or even attended, and yet this has only just come to light. Why have they tolerated this seemingly illegal and inappropriate behaviour when many of their constituents were dying alone?

Visgir1 Wed 12-Jan-22 18:01:12

lemongrove

Agree...
but Jeremy Hunt? Sorry No.. NHS staff (including me) despised him, not a popular man especially with the Medics.

lemongrove Wed 12-Jan-22 18:05:34

That wouldn’t make him a bad choice for PM though, because he was considered hardnosed by the NHS ( in his dealings with them) wouldn’t rule him out.It’s more will he be a popular choice with other MP’s and with Conservative members?

Sarnia Wed 12-Jan-22 18:12:03

BlueBelle

NO never voted for him never wanted him hope to see the back of the lot of the conniving cheating lying party before too much longer

Exactly!

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 12-Jan-22 18:15:06

Why exactly was Jeremy Hunt unpopular with the NHS Visgirl?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-Jan-22 18:20:21

The Narcissist's Prayer
(author unknown)

That didn't happen.
And if it did, it wasn't that bad.
And if it was, that's not a big deal.
And if it is, that's not my fault.
And if it was, I didn't mean it.
And if I did, you deserved it.

Redhead56 Wed 12-Jan-22 18:23:06

No not at all! EV I totally agree with you so well said.

Visgir1 Wed 12-Jan-22 18:23:36

lemongrove

That wouldn’t make him a bad choice for PM though, because he was considered hardnosed by the NHS ( in his dealings with them) wouldn’t rule him out.It’s more will he be a popular choice with other MP’s and with Conservative members?

Summed it here well by LG . Nearly caused junior doctors to walk out and this was not a threat. Totally unsympathetic to needs, bull headed even tho he stood his ground he didn't do himself any favours in lots of people's eyes, there are ways to do this and he got it wrong.

MayBee70 Wed 12-Jan-22 18:26:04

lemongrove

But it was Johnson himself who thwarted Mays attempts to get brexit done. He made her life hell.

MayBee70 Wed 12-Jan-22 18:28:33

It was Hunt who totally ignored the findings of Operation Cygnus when he was health secretary.

winterwhite Wed 12-Jan-22 18:31:22

The apology shrieked insincerity.
But I fear that the inquiry will put a generous gloss on it and conclude that Parliament itself must decide whether it has been misled. Then forward enough of the Tory majority and with one bound he is free.
Very depressing,

H1954 Wed 12-Jan-22 18:35:58

So, the PM went into the garden at No. 10 not realising he was at a party..............will he now ensure those that were at the party that he claimed was a work event but actually wasn't are fined just like we would have been n the same circumstances?

H1954 Wed 12-Jan-22 18:37:04

And to add insult to injury he has just hosted a Party Political Broadcast............what a lying t**t!

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 12-Jan-22 18:37:10

Does anyone remember when Johnson hosted HIGNFY a few times some years ago? Appalling. I bet those tapes are now tucked away in a very deep drawer. Yes, I know politicians lie, but Johnson has taken it to a new, gold star level. I was thinking about when we last had such a dreadful PM with appalling morals, who lies as easily as he breathes. Probably as far back as Victorian times. Cameron wobbled a bit with allowing the Brexit vote, Blair more than blotted his copy book with the Iraq war and Mrs May should never be allowed to dance in public. Chamberlain was taken in by Hitler and was it Eden who bu*****d up Suez? Yet none of them have left such a nasty taste in the mouth as Johnson. He must go and soon. Some have said he should be left in post for the next GE which the Tories would then lose miserably. But no, I think that would be too much for our country to bear. Labour must win fair and square.

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 12-Jan-22 18:43:53

Yes...I would. I’m also grateful for the vaccines, and the efforts made to keep us safe. As I said on another thread, far too much has been made of this damn ‘ party ‘

Roll over Boris, it’s time for the next ‘ morally vacant ‘ minister to take over. There’s so many to choose from!

Tulpia Wed 12-Jan-22 18:46:15

HolySox

Brilliant post and couldn't agree more. I don't give a damn if a bunch of Civil Servants who work together had a drink together a year ago.

To all the left wingers braying for Boris Johnson's head - be careful what you wish for. He is slightly left of centre politically, his replacement is likely to be rather more right wing.

Iam64 Wed 12-Jan-22 18:47:25

I may be missing something but here goes. Remember people who had bbq’s in their gardens, students who gathered together in their accommodation, women drinking coffee in a park bench - being fined. Will they get their cash back, or fines dismissed now
Police officers seen as officious for trying to impose guidance they seemed as confused by as many of the general public
What a shambles
The main thing though is teams are moulded by their leaders. A culture grows up which can be productive and leads to staff having integrity, knowing they’re public servants and accountable - or not. Johnson is the or nit leader

Hetty58 Wed 12-Jan-22 18:51:31

DiscoDancer1975, I'm very grateful for the vaccines too - but towards those who worked so very hard to develop and supply them, not the one who just had oversight - and crowed on about it:

www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n421