Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will the Nation accept an apology? Will you?

(439 Posts)
Kali2 Wed 12-Jan-22 12:59:55

I won't, for sure.

PGAgirl Wed 12-Jan-22 15:40:12

Yes, you all seem holier than thou, nobody is perfect, we all have flaws, remember the crowds on the beaches, no social distancing there. I see Boris as a maverick in the style of Churchill., he took the bull by the horns and ran with it. It must have taken a lot of courage and foresight to have taken on Covid19 with the purchase and distribution of the unknown vaccine at the time. Weak Labour would have shilly-shallied. joined the EU vaccine purchase scheme and we would be in another of Labour mess-ups. .

Coastpath Wed 12-Jan-22 15:43:29

No and no.

He went to this party less than six weeks after he came out of hospital thanking the NHS for saving his life. Even after going through all that he didn't abide by his own rules, rules that most of us were following in order to do the right thing by our fellow man. I watched my Aunt's funeral on Zoom and saw my cousins, in masks, socially distanced and crying and I couldn't comfort them. No, I don't forgive him.

nanaK54 Wed 12-Jan-22 15:45:08

A resounding 'no' from me

Casdon Wed 12-Jan-22 15:45:21

You are clearly deluded PGAgirl. There is no plausible excuse for the PM attending a party in lockdown. It’s absolutely nothing to do with Labour, or anything else that happened for that matter. He may be a maverick, but he lied. End of.

LovelyCuppa Wed 12-Jan-22 15:46:05

No

Sarnia Wed 12-Jan-22 15:48:29

Thought it was a works do, my foot. This at a time when people were having to work from home, meet with 1 other person at a social distance and only go out for essential supplies. The man is a total embarrassment.

ayse Wed 12-Jan-22 15:48:31

PGAgirl

Yes, you all seem holier than thou, nobody is perfect, we all have flaws, remember the crowds on the beaches, no social distancing there. I see Boris as a maverick in the style of Churchill., he took the bull by the horns and ran with it. It must have taken a lot of courage and foresight to have taken on Covid19 with the purchase and distribution of the unknown vaccine at the time. Weak Labour would have shilly-shallied. joined the EU vaccine purchase scheme and we would be in another of Labour mess-ups. .

No definitely not. It’s just the last in a long line of being very economical with the truth.

How can anyone possibly know what any other government would have done but I suspect May would have made a better job of keeping more people safe. This also is pure speculation, of course.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 12-Jan-22 16:01:59

PGAgirl I am a Tory voter but I hate liars. A maverick is one thing, a liar is something else altogether. A person without integrity.

FannyCornforth Wed 12-Jan-22 16:14:16

Johnson isn’t fit to wipe Churchill’s backside PGAgirl

Sago Wed 12-Jan-22 16:18:27

I voted for him, I now want him out, an apology won’t cut it.
He has taken us for fools.

Kali2 Wed 12-Jan-22 16:18:33

Sarnia

Thought it was a works do, my foot. This at a time when people were having to work from home, meet with 1 other person at a social distance and only go out for essential supplies. The man is a total embarrassment.

Work's 'dos' were no more allowed than parties!

BlueBelle Wed 12-Jan-22 16:33:11

NO never voted for him never wanted him hope to see the back of the lot of the conniving cheating lying party before too much longer

Dickens Wed 12-Jan-22 16:43:18

PGAgirl

I was just waiting for someone to bring Labour into the discussion. Pure speculation of course, you have no idea what the Labour party would've done, nor the Conservatives under May.

And it's a shame his "courage" and "foresight" didn't prevent him from missing 5 COBRA meetings at the beginning of the crisis.

I sat and watched hundreds of people in my street who had attended the Cheltenham Races - going to the pub a few doors away, and piling into people-carriers to take them to their B&B / hotel locations. There were thousands at the racecourse.

Madgran77 Wed 12-Jan-22 16:43:39

Trouble is I don't think anyone else of any party will actually be better!! I have lost all faith in our politics and political systems! Bleugh!

HolySox Wed 12-Jan-22 16:45:29

Boris says he saw the garden event as a 'works event'. Seems he wanted to encourage his staff, and suggested it was withinh guidelines (outside, socially distanced) so I believe him. Apology accepted. (i.e. forgiven). Afterall, at the start of things he was meeting people to encourage them, following guidelines as they rolled out, but this led to him getting COVID. So he is/was fully aware of the impact of COVID and has championed the fight against it. Invested in vaccines such that the UK was the first to deliver it. Appalled at the comment above that Boris shouldn't take the credit - of course he should. Posters here expect him to take 'blame' but won't give him credit when due.
And I'll raise BREXIT again but onky in as much that the Tories needed Boris in charge to win the last general election ... but now it's done want him out of the way, hence we are being fed a string of sleaze stories for the gullible public to soak up. I have no doubt some of these have an element of truth but I don't see Boris as any different from other high ranking politicians. If anything he is more open about what he does unlike the highly polished acts of Cameron, May and Blair.
But Boris did get BREXIT done, got the UK to the front of the queue for vaccines and we are enjoying minimal restrictions on daily life now.

Kali2 Wed 12-Jan-22 16:48:44

WOW - just - WOW

Alegrias1 Wed 12-Jan-22 16:50:16

You've changed your story about vaccines.

Is that you Boris?

Dinahmo Wed 12-Jan-22 16:51:14

Hurrah! For once a Johnson supporter has come out of the closet. Brave if you ask me.

Kali2 Wed 12-Jan-22 16:52:14

Was just going to write this, brave, very.

MiniMoon Wed 12-Jan-22 16:54:02

I didn't vote for him or his party. He needs to resign now.
He's done nothing but lie the whole time he's been in office.

Mamie Wed 12-Jan-22 16:54:48

It might be Boris Alegrias1, but I sense a lack of Latin epigrams. ?

growstuff Wed 12-Jan-22 16:56:02

Hope you're being paid well for your propaganda services HolySox.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 12-Jan-22 16:57:51

I can’t believe I just read that HS. He’s an inveterate liar. Not an ounce of integrity. He might have been good at winning votes but he’s a stranger to the truth, useless on detail and his judgment of the people appointed to do the detail is highly questionable.

MaizieD Wed 12-Jan-22 17:13:12

I love HolySox's use of the word '--gullible--'. Just who does that apply to, I wonder...hmm

Baggs Wed 12-Jan-22 17:14:10

That comment BJ made about sending everyone back inside…. I fail to see how that would have helped. Anyone?