Gransnet forums

News & politics

Prince Andrew stripped of his HRH

(213 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 13-Jan-22 17:27:54

And all his military titles have been returned to HM The Queen.

BlueBalou Thu 13-Jan-22 20:55:29

From the Telegraph:
The Duke had until now, clung onto his honorary military titles, including the coveted Colonel of the Grenadier Guards, despite pressure from senior military figures.

With his personal reputation now deemed beyond repair, the focus has shifted to ensuring that the Queen and the wider institution suffers no further humiliation from the scandal, particularly in the run-up to the Platinum Jubilee.

A letter signed by more than 150 Royal Navy, RAF and Army veterans was sent to Her Majesty on Thursday, urging her to strip her second son of all ranks and titles within the Armed Forces.

“Were this any other senior military officer it is inconceivable that he would still be in post,” they wrote, in the letter issued by the pressure group Republic.

“Officers of the British armed forces must adhere to the very highest standards of probity, honesty and honourable conduct.

“These are standards which Prince Andrew has fallen well short of.”

This presumably helped the decision?

Calistemon Thu 13-Jan-22 20:57:44

Peasblossom

It was one particular named ship.
And one particular named captain.

I could point you to the post where the poster said they knew the Captain personally, but I think that’s not allowed.

Unless you think he went from ship to ship to ship doing the same thing?

Possibly as so many RN personnel say he was notable for his arrogance including some we know.

Calistemon Thu 13-Jan-22 20:58:50

It was a very large ship, Peasblossom so would have had a large number of officers who were senior to him.

Allsorts Thu 13-Jan-22 21:02:55

I didn’t think I would see the day. I feel desperately sorry for the Queen, let down so badly by Harry and that woman, now Andrew, what mother wants to know what her son has been involved in, her beloved Philip dying. She has done the right thing but it must have been hard for her. She has been a wonderful monarch and put duty first. I hope Harry and Andrew realise how much they have let her down. Thank goodness her remaining family are there for her as well as the country.

Riverwalk Thu 13-Jan-22 21:06:24

Anniebach

Like Harry, what was there to do after army, navy life, royal
duties may have been boring,

Boring indeed - who would want decades of ribbon-cutting and having to take up 'safe' campaigns which they're probably not really interested in.

I think Andrew, William and Harry should have stayed in the armed forces which gave them a proper role and purpose in life.

Iam64 Thu 13-Jan-22 21:12:12

I feel for Her Majesty, what a rotten backdrop to her year

Am I over thinking this but, do we take it the senior military and the Palace have decided not only does PA have a case to answer for but he’s bang to rights.

Anniebach Thu 13-Jan-22 21:13:34

William has a purpose in life. The Queen’s father was the second son but carried out royal duties.

Calistemon Thu 13-Jan-22 21:14:54

Iam64

I feel for Her Majesty, what a rotten backdrop to her year

Am I over thinking this but, do we take it the senior military and the Palace have decided not only does PA have a case to answer for but he’s bang to rights.

Yes, another annus horribilis. She doesn't deserve this.

And yes, it seems like an admission that they think there is a case to answer.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 13-Jan-22 21:15:46

I would put money on Andrew remarrying Sarah. Betcha!

Peasblossom Thu 13-Jan-22 21:16:43

Nah, sorry.

He boarded the ship, said to Captain (see original poster of story) you can call me Prince Andrew. You can call me Sir bkah, bkah

Then went to visgirls husband and said you can call me et, etc.

Then , according to visgirl went to another officer. You can call me blah, blah.

And then another one, Lots, all round the ship, according to her.

May be it was true to begin with. Now it’s just silly.

GillT57 Thu 13-Jan-22 21:17:48

According to the Mailonline, the $6.6m debt to the socialite has now been repaid leaving PA free to sell the chalet to fund his case.

Calistemon Thu 13-Jan-22 21:26:01

Peasblossom

Nah, sorry.

He boarded the ship, said to Captain (see original poster of story) you can call me Prince Andrew. You can call me Sir bkah, bkah

Then , according to visgirl went to another officer. You can call me blah, blah.

Possibly true.

If he said it to the Captain it would have gone round the ship and, if he pompously said "You can call me Andrew" in the wardroom, even trying to be friendly, some would have said "and you can call me Sir!"

Anniebach Thu 13-Jan-22 21:26:33

Iam we are all guessing, i really believe he slept with her but
not raped her, but with all the interviews which have been given and the fact that one man couldn’t be accused because he
was covered by the agreement with no names mentioned yet
Andrew could be accused, surely no one can expect him to come out of this innocent.

You have decided he is guilty

Calistemon Thu 13-Jan-22 22:21:43

Calistemon

Peasblossom

Nah, sorry.

Possibly true.

If he said it to the Captain it would have gone round the ship and, if he pompously said "You can call me Andrew" in the wardroom, even trying to be friendly, some would have said "and you can call me Sir!"

To continue:

DH has just been chatting to a friend, ex-RN, who served with both Prince Charles and Prince Andrew.

Charles was friendly, not at all arrogant and no side to him at all.
Andrew was arrogant and overbearing.

Summerlove Thu 13-Jan-22 22:56:10

Peasblossom

Wow, that was a quick response. It usually takes longer than minutes.

“Oh what a tangled web we weave……….”

Why are you being so unkind tonight?

Calistemon Thu 13-Jan-22 23:11:02

Anniebach

Like Harry, what was there to do after army, navy life, royal
duties may have been boring,

He was a Trade Envoy, or some such, wasn't he?
Quite a plum job some may think.

He certainly couldn't be expected to live on his Naval pension.

Chestnut Thu 13-Jan-22 23:58:32

Calistemon Charles was friendly, not at all arrogant and no side to him at all. Andrew was arrogant and overbearing.
That's pretty much what I expected. That is how they have always come across. Charles got roasted in the press some years ago and was much disliked, but I always liked him and felt he was a decent chap. He has proved me right. Andrew I have always felt was pompous, entitled and full of his own importance.

nanna8 Fri 14-Jan-22 03:04:50

The RF obviously thinks he is guilty or they would fight tooth and nail to defend him. They certainly wouldn’t have taken any titles from him. My thinking is he is probably guilty of much more than we are being told and it is all being hushed up.

Jane43 Fri 14-Jan-22 05:01:23

Urmstongran

And why he sold his 7 bed ski chalet in Verbiers to pay for it. Took a big hit on the selling price but needs must.

I read there is a £12 million mortgage on it.

Jane43 Fri 14-Jan-22 05:08:17

Anniebach

Iam we are all guessing, i really believe he slept with her but
not raped her, but with all the interviews which have been given and the fact that one man couldn’t be accused because he
was covered by the agreement with no names mentioned yet
Andrew could be accused, surely no one can expect him to come out of this innocent.

You have decided he is guilty

I believe V G texted a friend saying she had had dinner with Prince Andrew and slept with him. The picture was taken because she wanted one of her with Prince Andrew for her mother. So I believe he slept with her but I don’t believe it was rape. Another case of recollections may vary.

vegansrock Fri 14-Jan-22 05:56:47

So some people on here think he’s guilty and some people on here think he’s innocent - he should stand trial then surely? If he pays her off then that spesks volumes doesn’t it? Really shows up the whole archaic monarchical system for the nonsense that you can be born into a “ role” whether or not you have any qualities which fit that role or not.

BlueBelle Fri 14-Jan-22 06:56:20

That woman what a very nasty comment allsorts

Josieann Fri 14-Jan-22 07:35:46

I think the Queen has done the right thing and it will be a relief for her. As with Harry, she can now adopt the "not my problem" attitude, and she need not get involved with either of them anymore. Sad, but the right way.

Sarnia Fri 14-Jan-22 08:20:53

Once again the Queen has acted with her sense of duty and what is right, uppermost. Of all the Queen's children Andrew has always come across to me as the most entitled. Give me Princess Anne any day.

eazybee Fri 14-Jan-22 08:29:57

Whether Andrew is rude, arrogant, overbearing and entitled, it doesn't have any bearing on whether or not he is innocent.

As far as I am aware there have been no other accusations of inappropriate sexual misconduct throughout his life.