Gransnet forums

News & politics

Violence at Stop violence against women march

(239 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

tickingbird Thu 17-Mar-22 12:51:56

I have just watched a woman being interviewed and she became quite upset as she attended a stop violence against women demo in Manchester and they were attacked by trans activists.

She explained that this was organised to follow International Woman’s Day and was about stopping violence against all women and girls. They had paint thrown on them and various other attacks. This poor lady was bewildered and upset, understandably, that trans activists could behave this way. I don’t understand it either and it does seem to me that some of these militant trans activists aren’t trans at all; they just hate women. It’s about time we all said enough!

MichaelGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 17-Mar-22 16:53:37

It's fine to debate - but please try to do so without making personal attacks on other members.

Lathyrus Thu 17-Mar-22 16:54:29

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Lathyrus Thu 17-Mar-22 16:55:50

JaneJudge Thu 17-Mar-22 17:00:11

I think the trouble is people are frustrated that genuine concerns on other threads are being downplayed/ignored. It is all very well calling me a bigot but the truth of the matter is, I have an adult daughter with a severe disability who is much more likely to be abused, especially sexually by men. At present there are laws in place to protect her to a degree wrt personal care/female only led support but the proposed changes to law wrt transwomen/men muddied the waters. That was not to say I or anyone else thought transwomen were more likely to abuse people due to changes in law. More that MEN that want to abuse would now have access within a law that didn't even apply to them but now did because they could just say so.

People who abuse are incredibly manipulative and it needs to be acknowledged and any changes that affect safeguarding need to be considered carefully. That isn't transphobic, it is just being sensible.

Other examples apply obviously.

I really don't think this makes me a bigot/transphobe or anything else. I am being open minded enough to see how dangerous blanket policies are.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 17-Mar-22 17:03:43

JaneJudge I totally agree with your post.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 17-Mar-22 17:05:36

I’m sick of all of this to be honest.

Doodledog Thu 17-Mar-22 17:06:20

I really don't think this makes me a bigot/transphobe or anything else. I am being open minded enough to see how dangerous blanket policies are.
I agree, JaneJudge. This is not an area where blanket policies can possibly apply to all cases, and it is foolish to pretend that they can. It is also counter-productive to close down debate, even when it is wide-ranging and 'theoretical', as by the time it gets personal it is too late for the people involved.

I completely understand your concern for your daughter, and don't think that it is indicative of bigotry or transphobia at all. It is natural that a caring mother would see the potential for harm that could be done if laws that protect her are compromised.

Doodledog Thu 17-Mar-22 17:07:13

DiscoDancer1975

I’m sick of all of this to be honest.

You're not alone there. I suspect we might all get a lot sicker of it before the pendulum starts to swing back, though.

VioletSky Thu 17-Mar-22 17:07:19

Janejudge I think most of your comments on this subject are pretty fair and understandable

Ilovecheese Thu 17-Mar-22 17:08:02

Of course it doesn't JaneJudge , it just shows you as a caring and sensible person with actual experience and concerns.

Lucca Thu 17-Mar-22 17:12:01

I’ve never a seen a post from JaneJudge that would remotely class her as prejudiced bigoted or anything like it,

Why didn’t the trans activists just peacefully join the March ? If they are identifying as women , trans or otherwise then wouldn’t they want to stop violence against women/transwomen ?

Chewbacca Thu 17-Mar-22 17:14:34

Doodledog Thu 17-Mar-22 17:15:43

Iam64 Thu 17-Mar-22 17:18:21

VioletSky Thu 17-Mar-22 17:23:22

No, Iam64 I think that's just come out wrong due to sheer nerves

I hope you understand I didn't mean to imply anything janejudge and I'm sorry it came out wrong

I just probably haven't read all of your comments but may have seen most of them

Anyway, i really do need a break from this

Iam64 Thu 17-Mar-22 17:23:39

DillytheGardener Thu 17-Mar-22 17:25:51

JaneJudge as usual your remarks are sensible. I would also be worried in your position how changes in the law could impact your child.

Chewbacca Thu 17-Mar-22 17:27:35

Galaxy Thu 17-Mar-22 17:29:08

Can I just say that I know how frustrsting this all is but I really really dont want to lose peoples voices on this, I really value the contributions of people who have a long history of working with those who experience male violence, or understand safeguarding with regard to people with disabilities. I have seen this done a million times before on MN and elsewhere, please watch the number of deletions you receive, its a long game this one.

Galaxy Thu 17-Mar-22 17:32:29

Sorry that sounded as if I am trying to control what people say, I hope people know how much I dislike that, but we lost really intelligent voices on MN.

Iam64 Thu 17-Mar-22 17:32:45

MichaelGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 17-Mar-22 17:38:35

Hi all, continued personal attacks will be removed because they break talk guidelines. If the thread continues to be derailed by a spat then we may have to take it down.
Again, if you're concerned about a post or poster please report rather than addressing things directly on the thread.

Chewbacca Thu 17-Mar-22 17:44:19

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

JaneJudge Thu 17-Mar-22 17:44:22

Galaxy

Sorry that sounded as if I am trying to control what people say, I hope people know how much I dislike that, but we lost really intelligent voices on MN.

and now you are left with me grin

Chewbacca Thu 17-Mar-22 17:47:03

Completely understand what you're saying Galaxy and point taken. I'm looking at it positively; when women start to collectively say that something's very wrong, they invariably have to be silenced. So we must be being heard.