Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ignore Nicola Sturgeon. She’s just an attention seeker.

(355 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

volver Tue 02-Aug-22 09:08:05

So. The person who is likely to be our next Prime Minister told the party faithful at a hustings in Exeter that the best thing to do about Sturgeon is to ignore her. When told by the moderator that NS was democratically elected to her position, Truss said NS is just an attention seeker. Cue lots of excited clapping and cheering.

This is the woman who is meant to be our senior diplomat, who will be in the company of world leaders. NS was elected by 48% (or so) of the electorate of her country, Truss will inherit the job by getting the votes of something like 0.03% of the electorate. Ignore Sturgeon, you’re ignoring half the population of Scotland and telling them that you know better what’s good for them.

It’s the number one story up here but I don’t know how much its being reported in rUK.

Last week I called her a Welsh carrot. (You had to be there wink) But it seems I over estimated her. She’s lost the place, as we say up here.

Petera Tue 02-Aug-22 10:03:49

Yammy

Kandinsky

So if you’re ‘elderly’ your views don’t count?
I wonder how many ‘elderly’ people support Nicola Sturgeon?
hmm

48% of the voting public in Scotland support Nicola Sturgeon maybe they are as delusional as the Tory party members who support Liz Truss in England.
Look at the SNP's record on Health Care,
Education standards once the gold standard of the United Kingdom.
Drug deaths in Scotland the highest in Europe.

Maybe they are delusional. But that's not how democracy works.

volver Tue 02-Aug-22 10:04:37

Yammy

Kandinsky

So if you’re ‘elderly’ your views don’t count?
I wonder how many ‘elderly’ people support Nicola Sturgeon?
hmm

48% of the voting public in Scotland support Nicola Sturgeon maybe they are as delusional as the Tory party members who support Liz Truss in England.
Look at the SNP's record on Health Care,
Education standards once the gold standard of the United Kingdom.
Drug deaths in Scotland the highest in Europe.

Thanks Yammy

(signed) a delusional one.

Whatever you think of her, Sturgeon is the democratically elected leader of our country. You respect the position and the decision of the Scots, even if you don't respect the person holding it.

RichmondPark1 Tue 02-Aug-22 10:06:38

More culture war stoking from a woman with nothing else to offer.

I live in the south of England and think democratically elected Nicola Sturgeon has more skill and integrity in her little finger than the compassion and intellect vacuum that is Truss. I'd happily go along with Glorianny's BOGOF deal but the people of Scotland deserve much better than our corrupt, self serving Tory failures.

MawtheMerrier Tue 02-Aug-22 10:07:21

There used to be a book (presumably still is) called “How to Win Friends and Influence People”

Does it need a crowdfunding appeal to club together and buy one for Truss?

Mollygo Tue 02-Aug-22 10:11:44

I’m not convinced she will have judgement, stamina or pragmatism either.
The shit show will provide excuses for her and any future governments to be unable to fulfil any manifesto promises made.

Blossoming Tue 02-Aug-22 10:19:34

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

henetha Tue 02-Aug-22 10:24:10

Liz Truss's remarks about Nicola Sturgeon are outrageous.
I personally am not a big fan of Ms. Sturgeon, but utterly respect her position and do not regard her as an attention seeker at all. Heaven help us all if Ms. Truss becomes prime minister.

Glorianny Tue 02-Aug-22 10:27:15

^Truss said NS is just an attention seeker.^-takes one to know one!!!

Urmstongran Tue 02-Aug-22 10:28:32

Truss has delighted her fan base. Considering she was Foreign Secretary and managed to secure the release of Nazanin she seems to have mislaid her diplomacy skills.

The next meeting between the two (if Truss becomes PM as Sunak appears to be gaining ground and there’s a whole month to go yet) would be frosty I imagine.

westendgirl Tue 02-Aug-22 10:33:52

Well the record of Tory members for electing a good leader of their party is disastrous. You'd think they'd tread carefully after the last one.

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Aug-22 11:04:09

It was reported on the main BBC News I think, volver.
Cue sharp intakes of breath in this household!

Whatever she thinks of Nicola Sturgeon, this is not the way to speak of a fellow politician, First Minister of one of the countries of the UK, and with whom she will have to have a relationship if she becomes Prime Minister.

If she speaks like that about the First Minister of Scotland, goodness knows how she will manage to deal with other leaders on an international scale.

Quite honestly, it's frightening.

Petera Tue 02-Aug-22 11:11:04

Callistemon21 If she speaks like that about the First Minister of Scotland, goodness knows how she will manage to deal with other leaders on an international scale.

A friend from NI this morning was speculating just what she could 'think' about Michelle O'Neill.

Doodledog Tue 02-Aug-22 11:11:30

Quite honestly, it's frightening.

It really is. Any minister, never mind a PM, has to deal with people they don't particularly like (just as in any job) but the way to deal with that is not to dismiss them as beneath notice. If they all did that, the chances are that not many of them would have much to do with Truss.

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Aug-22 11:15:08

Petera

Callistemon21 If she speaks like that about the First Minister of Scotland, goodness knows how she will manage to deal with other leaders on an international scale.

A friend from NI this morning was speculating just what she could 'think' about Michelle O'Neill.

She can think what she likes in her head but to express it was shocking.
A complete lack of courtesy.
In fact, just plain rude.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 02-Aug-22 11:18:09

But it was such a crass dishonest and insulting thing to say.

She doesn’t speak for the majority of the U.K. except the Tory membership, but even they must feel a slight unease.

volver Tue 02-Aug-22 11:24:24

There was a Tory party member on a call-in on Radio Scotland this morning, that said she was ashamed of the comment and would never now consider supporting Truss.

I think most people understand that this is not the view of the majority, but of one not-very-bright politician that is being promoted beyond her capacity. As Urmstongran said, she is playing to her fanbase who think Sturgeon is somehow imposing herself on the Scottish population, and that she's just an uppity woman. Sturgeon, meanwhile, appears to be studiously rising above the argument and tweeting about child poverty and what the Scottish Government are doing to try to alleviate it.

Esspee Tue 02-Aug-22 11:25:53

Truss, she’s the one with the personal photographer who plays with a dressing up box when supposed to be working and posts on instagram. The Queen of photo ops. How can she call anyone else an attention seeker?
As for intellect! Nicola would wipe the floor with her in a 1:1 debate.
Thank you for this post Volver. I was seething when I read about her disrespectful comments completely disregarding the fact that 2.4 million Scots voted for the SNP in 2021. Nicola has seen Tory PMs come and go and if the Conservatives are stupid enough to vote for Truss she won’t make it past the next election.

Urmstongran Tue 02-Aug-22 11:26:52

Well the audience at the husting in Exeter cheered. Some comments afterwards were ‘it’s good to have a straightforward politician not afraid to say it like it is’.

The First Minister does herself no favours either at times though. Her track record on many issues is abysmal. Her own rhetoric is pretty combative regarding WM.. Many English are sick of hearing her.

That said, Truss was wrong. What did Michelle Obama say?
“When they go low we go high” ?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 02-Aug-22 11:28:15

NS that’s the best thing to do at the moment.

Revenge is best served cold

Esspee Tue 02-Aug-22 11:28:18

Can you imagine Truss visiting Bute House. ?

Casdon Tue 02-Aug-22 11:29:05

volver

There was a Tory party member on a call-in on Radio Scotland this morning, that said she was ashamed of the comment and would never now consider supporting Truss.

I think most people understand that this is not the view of the majority, but of one not-very-bright politician that is being promoted beyond her capacity. As Urmstongran said, she is playing to her fanbase who think Sturgeon is somehow imposing herself on the Scottish population, and that she's just an uppity woman. Sturgeon, meanwhile, appears to be studiously rising above the argument and tweeting about child poverty and what the Scottish Government are doing to try to alleviate it.

Surely the more moderate element of the Tory fan base for her is diminishing too, the more inane comments she makes. Maybe this thread should have been called ‘How many different groups of people has Truss alienated today’ or ‘Is Truss trying to be the shortest lived Tory PM in history’

varian Tue 02-Aug-22 11:34:47

Every time we think Liz Truss is the pits, that the Tories are scraping the bottom of the barrel, she sinks even lower.

Many Scots who oppose the SNP recognise that Nicola Strugeon is a very able politician and has a stronger electoral mandate than Truss might inherit.

volver Tue 02-Aug-22 11:35:07

Urmstongran

Well the audience at the husting in Exeter cheered. Some comments afterwards were ‘it’s good to have a straightforward politician not afraid to say it like it is’.

The First Minister does herself no favours either at times though. Her track record on many issues is abysmal. Her own rhetoric is pretty combative regarding WM.. Many English are sick of hearing her.

That said, Truss was wrong. What did Michelle Obama say?
“When they go low we go high” ?

Victim blaming? Many Scots are sick of hearing her too. That's not the point.

A year ago she was elected with the largest share of the vote ever and she's trying to enact what was in her manifesto.

While Truss is playing to the gallery and dismissing a whole democratic government.

Greta Tue 02-Aug-22 11:38:19

Please deliver us from Liz Truss as PM. I missed her comment about NS but just heard it now. Shameful! And the clapping and cheering that followed it. It doesn't bode well for our relationship with Scotland at a time when we certainly don't need further division and disharmony.

Rishi Sunak, on the other hand, believes people who miss NHS appointments should be fined £10. That'll go a long way to solving our dysfunctional health system and will make us all feel better. Has it occurred to him that the issue is not missing appointments – it's getting appointments. Give us strength!

Grannynannywanny Tue 02-Aug-22 11:55:36

Disgraceful comments by Liz Truss. She is an embarrassment and I dread to think what she’ll come out with next. The woman is a liability. I suppose we shouldn’t be surprised considering her track record of opening mouth without engaging brain.

Her comment a few years ago about how little a no deal Brexit would affect Ireland was a howler. She said it would only affect farmers with a few turnips in the back of their trucks.

www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2022/05/19/news/former-diplomat-outs-liz-truss-over-farmers-with-a-few-turnips-remarks-made-in-2019-2715311/