Gransnet forums

News & politics

Suella Braverman’s speech…

(111 Posts)
MayBee70 Tue 04-Oct-22 18:02:18

Just listened to it. It made my blood run cold…sad

Fleurpepper Mon 10-Oct-22 22:11:17

Apologies, I should not say it is nonsense. But that it does not make sense at all- it is not about ethnicity- it is about pulling the bridge after them.

Galaxy Tue 11-Oct-22 07:34:04

Only if you set higher standards for immigrants than you do for others which is what James o Brien did. It is I am afraid one of the dangers of identity politics. He saw everything she said through the prism of her identity so to speak. It makes some people very cross if people from certain groups wont behave in the way those people think they should.

MaizieD Tue 11-Oct-22 07:56:39

So, Galaxy. If I'm understanding you correctly, an analogy would be:

If a father sexually abuses his daughter we can disapprove of the deed, but we cannot add an extra layer of disapproval related to the fact that it a father abusing his child because that would be identity politics and that's not allowed?

Grantanow Tue 11-Oct-22 10:06:12

Disgusting but what can you expect from an extreme right Tory?

Lovetopaint037 Tue 11-Oct-22 10:35:38

The Tories were once known as “the Nasty Party” and here they are again. That’s what I thought when she talked of “taking a stick to the unemployed”.

Grany Thu 13-Oct-22 13:56:33

I hope that Suella Braverman’s dream never comes true
Refugees do not make arduous and deadly journeys to the UK for fun. The government’s Rwanda policy is vile and negligent.

www.independent.co.uk/voices/rwanda-refugees-suella-braverman-jeremy-corbyn-b2201237.html

Fleurpepper Thu 13-Oct-22 16:28:56

Galaxy

Only if you set higher standards for immigrants than you do for others which is what James o Brien did. It is I am afraid one of the dangers of identity politics. He saw everything she said through the prism of her identity so to speak. It makes some people very cross if people from certain groups wont behave in the way those people think they should.

He did, And it makes perfect sense to me.

Remember Arthur Miller's 'View from the Bridge'

about one wave of Italian immigrants turning against a later wave of italian immigrants. First lot had found a place in society, after a lot of pain, but didn't want that next wave to upset the apple-cart.

A large proportion of Lepen's supporters in France are 2nd, 3rd generation Italians, Spanish, Polish, etc, immigrants. Same reaction. And yes, their parents, grandparent's origins are relevant. Totally. Because they, fo all people, should know what it feels like.

Same for anyone whose family has been discriminated or abused.

grannypiper Thu 13-Oct-22 17:35:37

growstuff

What illegal immigration? It isn't illegal to enter the UK and seek asylum.

You are right growstuff but there are too many migrants that arrive and don't seek asylum many of them disappear into thin air.

Fleurpepper Thu 13-Oct-22 18:11:55

like Brits on the Costas you mean?

volver Thu 13-Oct-22 18:37:34

grannypiper

growstuff

What illegal immigration? It isn't illegal to enter the UK and seek asylum.

You are right growstuff but there are too many migrants that arrive and don't seek asylum many of them disappear into thin air.

How do you know? If they "disappear"?

Intuition?