Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jailed for manslaughter

(107 Posts)
Jaffacake2 Thu 02-Mar-23 17:24:16

Interested to know other opinions on the case in the news of the woman who has been jailed for 3 years for manslaughter following the death of a cyclist. She has cerebral palsy and was walking along the pavement when a cyclist came towards her. She gestured with her arm and said to " get off the f.... ing pavement " The cyclist swerved and fell into oncoming traffic and sadly died. The pedestrian who also has cognitive issues has been jailed for manslaughter.
On the video it does not appear to be a wide path with a designated cycle section.
I get very frustrated by cyclists on pavements as I have balance problems and reduced hearing. I become nervous and worry that I will be knocked over.
What does everyone think of this tragic case ?

Galaxy Fri 10-Mar-23 08:35:29

Part of my role in the early 2000s was to support people moving out of the long stay hospitals, I was incredibly naive and just couldnt believe they still existed. I can still picture my first visit as clear as day. That is not to say that I havent seen some crap community care but I think that you can provide good care in small community homes I d9nt think it's possible in those institutions.

JaneJudge Fri 10-Mar-23 10:06:39

I don;t think so either

Casdon Fri 10-Mar-23 10:20:19

This lady wouldn’t have met any threshold for admission to an institution, or for community living facilities though, if the judge’s ruling is based on correct information about her life.

ronib Fri 10-Mar-23 12:44:34

Casdon It’s reported that Auriol Grey lived in specially adapted sheltered accommodation. Sounds like community living arrangements?

Casdon Fri 10-Mar-23 12:54:33

No*ronib*, that’s not community living arrangements, which is when people live in a group setting in the community with staff working with the residents in a group home because they are unable to live independently. Sheltered accommodation is a place where there are units of accommodation adapted to the needs of the residents, but their activities aren’t supervised in any way. Sometimes there is a warden in a sheltered living complex, sometimes visiting social care staff, sometimes it is literally just units of suitable accommodation.

M0nica Sat 11-Mar-23 13:20:05

Unless someone on here was present throughout the trial and heard all the evidence, how can we possibly second guess what the 'right' verdict should have been.

Yes, it appears exceptional on the surface, but that only suggest to me that there were exceptional circumstances to the case that have not been revealed in the press.

In the meanwhile the convicted woman has rights of appeal, and will, presumably use them.