Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Burqa or niqab- why can’t people get it right?

(115 Posts)
maryeliza54 Sat 11-Aug-18 09:28:58

Just that really

Granny23 Sat 11-Aug-18 12:15:41

Have you noticed that the Queen never appears in public without some sort of head covering from crowns and tiaras to hats and headscarfs? When I was a child it was unthinkable to turn up at church without a hat - unless you were a man of course, then you had to be bareheaded. We did not have a hat as part of our senior school uniform, but were required to wear a maroon beret when on church parade. Many brides still arrive at their wedding fully veiled. How many of our generation would feel comfortable attending a funeral without a hat? or, if a man would keep their hat on at the graveside even if it was snowing?

All of these customs come from the Old Testament - the basic fundamental rule book for Jews, Christians and Muslims. Whether they are observed nowadays depends on how strictly they are enforced by each branch or sept of these religions. As they all started in the Middle East I suppose that covering the head and face against sun and sand would be common practice in that area.

Eglantine21 Sat 11-Aug-18 12:17:28

One of my brothers got challenged in a bank for not removing his motorcycle helmet.

NanaandGrampy Sat 11-Aug-18 12:23:30

Actually Bluebelle it isn't your right if you are in an Arabic country to show off whatever flesh you like to the sun. Its against the law there.

So , that being the case, why can there not be a law here that deals with the full face /body coverings here. Other European country are equally multicultural but don't seem to be as concerned as the UK is.

I actually think Juggernaut is right, it even states at the entrance to some supermarkets that full face motorcycle helmets cant be worn so why can something else be allowed that hides the face?

rubytut Sat 11-Aug-18 12:27:33

Those that wear them know the difference ,is there a reason why we should know what and when to wear clothing associated with every religion.

sodapop Sat 11-Aug-18 12:35:57

To reiterate neither garment is required for religious reasons purely cultural. Several Imams and scholars have said the wearing of these face coverings should be discontinued by women who live in UK or indeed any other countries. The face covering does not aid integration and in many cases is not the choice of the woman concerned but of her husband.

oldbatty Sat 11-Aug-18 12:39:44

* The face covering does not aid integration and in many cases is not the choice of the woman concerned but of her husband.*

How do you know this is the case please?

Chewbacca Sat 11-Aug-18 12:45:53

I would not argue for a ban but I would argue that we have to discard fear of causing offence in relation to the veil. If a woman wants to wear a veil, that's absolutely fine. But if they want to wear it in normal daily life, they should understand that they can expect to be turned away from many public places and possibly be deprived of career opportunities. And they can’t expect to be fully part of normal western society. That’s a real shame, but it is their choice.

From David Flint:

BBbevan Sat 11-Aug-18 12:53:05

Have you noticed that Nadiya wore a niqab on Great British Bake off? . She now wears a sort of scarf/ turban, so her face is more readily seen. Much better in my opinion, and obviously not against her Muslim religion.

SueDonim Sat 11-Aug-18 13:06:39

My dil is Muslim but she wears no headcovering as it has never been a part of her ethnic origin culture to do so. However, she receives abuse from other Muslims, for not covering up.

BlueBelle Sat 11-Aug-18 13:09:24

Juggernaut that’s just not nice

If a woman wants to cover her face why should we be up in arms about it it’s just not our business Why does ‘difference’ hold so much fear for some Why not embrace it and learn about it and be bigger than it Why is the Western way always the right way

Terrorism isn’t the way of every Muslim Juggernaut I seem to remember a lot of folks blown up and killed by the Ira without any of them dressing as a woman so I think your ‘huge problem’ is within your own psyche

lemongrove Sat 11-Aug-18 13:14:03

Years ago, in Iran when the Shah was the Leader, women were largely Westernised in their clothes, hair and make up.
Since the Mullahs took over all that changed.
Things seem to be going backwards for women regarding their clothes.
I suppose Boris has got us all pondering about this matter.
Their choice or not ( and for some it won’t be) wearing the full monty ( burqa) is a medieval way for women to be walking about in the 21st Century in the UK.

Grandma70s Sat 11-Aug-18 14:10:58

BBbevan, did Nadiya really wear a niqab on Bake Off? I doubt it very much, though I can’t claim to have watched all of it.

annodomini Sat 11-Aug-18 14:14:52

No, Nadiya were the hijab (scarf) on Bake off. I seem to remember she had a variety of colourful scarves. I like the little turbans she wears nowadays.

BBbevan Sat 11-Aug-18 14:24:10

Sorry , yes you are right annodomini I should have known better as like SueDomin my DiL is Muslim, but wears ' western clothes ' and does not cover her hair Her mother however does wear a hijab

merlotgran Sat 11-Aug-18 14:35:53

It looks more than just a scarf to me. I don't actually care what she wears but my point is that it's easy for people to get confused with the names.

Lynne59 Sat 11-Aug-18 14:54:36

I don't know or care what they are, but the ones that cover the entire face shouldn't be allowed in this country. If people wearing hats/motorcycle helmets are required to take them off in pubs, banks, shops, etc., then so should the women who wear face-covering garments. They choose to live here, and they should follow our rules

MissAdventure Sat 11-Aug-18 15:01:06

I still can't remember which is which without referring back to the picture.
They're words I'm unfamiliar with, describing items that I have never worn.

paddyann Sat 11-Aug-18 16:22:38

I have no issues with either garment,security wise it should be possible to take the wearer aside to a private area where another women could check her identity ,though thinking anyone who does wear the full veil is a terrorist is an insult itself .

MargaretX Sat 11-Aug-18 16:36:15

It is possible to take the wearer aside it is done at some airports.

The human being has two eyes in the front of the head and uses them to make judgments about the outside world and the area he/she is in.
It is quite natural that when some one covers the face completely that it awakens mistrust in the people around her.

It is not religious it is done with men in mind. Men want their women covered up so only they can see them.
It should be banned,, especially for the under 12 yr olds.

oldbatty Sat 11-Aug-18 16:46:55

Would anybody with a Muslim background care to comment please?

The ignorance is quite worrying.

Jalima1108 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:14:20

The ignorance is quite worrying.
hmm
That would mean you know everything about this, Oldbatty - so instead of telling us we are ignorant why not enlighten us as MawBroon has attempted to do?

The only Muslims I know wear Western dress.

oldbatty Sat 11-Aug-18 17:31:27

How on earth would I know everything?

Of course I don't.

Maw has included a helpful guide which responds to the original question.

Since the post them veers off into such statements as Men want their women covered up and * They choose to live here, they should follow our rules* * the full monty* * in many cases is not the choice of the woman*

I am unable to respond to these statements with authority, since I am not Muslim, perhaps someone else can?

TerriBull Sat 11-Aug-18 17:43:15

Nadiya looks very good in the new turban type headdress she now wears Quite obviously she was given a professional make over, she particularly suits the very vibrant colours we now see her in, they set off her colouring and eyes. The black hijab swamped her a bit.

Jalima1108 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:45:30

Nadiya has said she only started wearing the hijab at first to 'cover up her bad hair' and none of the rest of her family wear any covering as far as I know.

oldbatty Sat 11-Aug-18 18:43:50

“It was something that I found myself and the first part of me finding religion, that as the first act that I actually did, it was to cover my hair. And I realised the importance and significance.” writes Nadiya.

in other words, it was her choice. She wasnt instructed to do it by a man.