Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Burqa or niqab- why can’t people get it right?

(115 Posts)
maryeliza54 Sat 11-Aug-18 09:28:58

Just that really

maryeliza54 Tue 16-Apr-19 10:31:17

crazyH information has already been posted on this thread about the differences - basically its whether the eyes are covered or not( with a netting) - imo this is an important difference.

humptydumpty Tue 16-Apr-19 10:55:54

I agree, and it seems to me that the comparison with nuns highlights the fact that their faces are not covered - I'm sure that's why their clothing is not a problem to anyone, no?

Miep1 Tue 16-Apr-19 11:50:59

It seems odd to me that some primary schools now include the hijab as an optional part of their uniform. Correct me if í'm wrong, but I upstand that this is only 'compulsorily' when past puberty, not on 7 year olds as I have seen. I think Ataturk was right in his vision of modern Turkey and think other nations could take a leaf out of his book

ickle Tue 16-Apr-19 11:53:11

dont care what its called it should be banned as in my opinion it is a security risk!

Jacinta55 Tue 16-Apr-19 12:09:46

Oh dear, I don't like Gransnet when people seem so aggressive about things. Clothing that covers the face, so making identification impossible, is surely wrong on many counts including security and communication. Other than that, I think people should be allowed to wear what they like. Schools can be an issue with uniforms and the like, but in a tolerant country like the UK surely we can find our way round these.

pinkquartz Tue 16-Apr-19 12:21:37

I don't like these symbols of women's oppression and I also don't want to be guilt tripped into being all P C about them.
It is not true that any little girls wants to cover herself head to toe in a dark cloak and face cover.
They cover themselves because they have been taught to do so.
This amount of covering is alien to our culture and i prefer our culture.
Sometimes I wonder if being so tolerant of a repressive and intolerant culture is such a good idea?
Being multicultural isn't really truly possible. There has to be a dominant culture and I am glad it is ours.

pinkquartz Tue 16-Apr-19 12:30:05

crazyH a burqua covers the head and the body AND the face. It is not just a head cover.
It is nothing like a nun because a nun has chosen a religious life. Also her face is not covered up.

It worries me to see people attempt to normalize something that no woman should have to wear.
No women wants to wear a burqua unless they are making a statement!
In the countries where women are forced to wear them it is plain wrong. All about men controlling women.

janeainsworth Tue 16-Apr-19 13:37:35

No women wants to wear a burqua unless they are making a statement

People make statements with their clothes all the time.
Women who go to the supermarket wearing ‘active wear’ are virtue-signalling that they go to the gym & keep themselves healthy rather than sitting around watching TV all day.
Children in school uniform are making a statement that they are part of that school community.
Someone wearing a business suit is making a statement that they are in work mode, not slopping around mode.

Whatever statement burqa or niqab wearers are making, they are just as entitled to make it as anyone else.

BradfordLass72 Wed 17-Apr-19 00:27:49

Doesn't anyone remember the days when English women wore mourning veils? You couldn't see their faces or eyes and these would be worn for a year, often more and yet, as far as I know, there was no huge outcry about it.

Unfortunately, I detect a thin streak of racism (and what racist ever admits to it?) behind the criticism of Muslim dress.

Lily65 Wed 17-Apr-19 11:23:11

The streak is alive and well in comments like how do they keep them on, nobody wants to wear on unless they are making a statement, its about a patriarchal society and so on.

Its an item of clothing, favoured by some. Women pop it on over jeans and tee shirt and wear it outside. Big deal, so what?

Newatthis Wed 17-Apr-19 11:32:14

I think the Niqabs is the face covering and the Burqa is the long flowing garment. They are 2 different things and they are called by different names depending on which country the wearer is from.

Blessmissdunstable Wed 01-May-19 14:58:03

Thank you Maw Broon for the enlightening graphic. I for one have learned something.

LondonGranny Wed 18-Sep-19 22:58:12

I think it's a myth that whether it's niqab, hijab or whatever that it's a oppressive thing. I have female Muslim friends and neighbours and they're all strong independent intelligent women whether with uncovered hair or a full-face veil. Let women choose what they want to wear. European nuns don't get this sort of bullying for wearing similar clothing (because bullying is what it is).
My mum (agnostic married to a Catholic) never went out without a headscarf and no bloke (because it almost always is a bloke) tried to rip it off her head screaming hateful obscenities.
Lets face it, whether someone's wearing a micro-miniskirt or a niqab, some judgemental busybody who is so narrow-minded they can peer through a keyhole with both eyes at the same time will pass judgement.
It's not about clothing, it's about hate.

Trisha57 Mon 02-Mar-20 19:51:19

No-one, as far as I can see, has mentioned teachers who teach in mainstream (non-religous) primary schools but insist on wearing face coverings. IMHO, vert young children (infants) pick up so much from facial expression in teaching that it seems a disadvantage for the children to me that these should be obscured. Anyone else had experience of this?