Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

What happened to 'th' ?

(94 Posts)
Mossfarr Tue 16-Jul-19 22:59:48

Why has it become so normal for so many people to speak without using 'th'?
It really irritates me when they say 'wiv' instead of 'with' or use 'viss' instead of 'this'.
When I was at school that was considered to be a speech impediment and children were given speech therapy to correct it.
When you watch TV it seems to have become the norm.
Why is this?

Amagran Wed 17-Jul-19 12:48:42

Would anyone like some sangwidges for lunch?

BlueSapphire Wed 17-Jul-19 12:57:13

The one that annoys me is "we was" and "was you".
DH (from Lancashire), could not say the word "little". It was always "lickle" to him.
And people saying haitch, instead of aitch.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 17-Jul-19 13:00:22

This may be a case of the language changing, but I think it has more to do with the fact that since the 1970s regional accents are approved of (quite rightly) so it has become difficult to correct pronunciation without seeming snobbish.

It irritates me too, I must admit, but languages do change. When I was a child, some of my grandparents' age group talked of "the chimist's shop" whereas we talked of " the chemist's shop".

JenniferEccles Wed 17-Jul-19 13:07:38

I have got so many pet hates...…..

Pacific for specific, amachur for amateur, schoow for school, anythink, somethink, duba u for the letter W - the list goes on and on.

Regarding 'amachur' I have heard so many BBC newsreaders say this and I just cringe.

Nvella Wed 17-Jul-19 13:22:56

I hate haitch for h

Sussexborn Wed 17-Jul-19 13:28:01

Even the newsreaders say twenny now much to my OHs disgust! I honestly can’t see the point in allowing yourself to get wound up over things you can’t do anything about!

Nannarose Wed 17-Jul-19 13:30:35

On the whole it doesn't annoy me.
Because I don't want to say where I live, I won't tell you which of the above pronunciations I use.
I have worked in a few different parts of the UK and wherever I was, people would say 'oh, our local speech isn't an accent or dialect - it's just lazy'. Then some would tell me they liked the way I said something which others would hate (see above). My father was delighted when an academic he met asked to sit next to him at dinner for the pleasure of hearing his accent (and I assure you there are examples of his speech mentioned above)
For pleasure, I have learned a few different languages and you can see rules of grammar that are reflected in dialects (some examples above) which are not 'wrong' but are not 'standard' (there are also examples above)
I do regard it as snobbery that some accents are cherished and admired whilst others are regarded as inferior.
It is good manners to ensure that you can be understood - I have especially noticed in Scotland that some Scots adjust their speech for us outsiders - but beyond that I really don't mind.

Bazza Wed 17-Jul-19 13:30:43

Bregzit! As if there’s not enough about it to wind me up.

allule Wed 17-Jul-19 13:31:03

My gd used to change it the other way...forty four became thorty thour...an individualist!

gillyknits Wed 17-Jul-19 13:47:42

I hate ask being changed to arks!

Paperbackwriter Wed 17-Jul-19 13:59:55

Interesting thread! (Or should I say fred? No, maybe not). My personal hatred isn't about omission of a letter, it's an addition. People who drive me nuts (and it's usually on the radio) pronounce the letter H as Haitch. I'll be the one shrieking, "It's not Haitch, it's Aitch!"

Violettham Wed 17-Jul-19 14:00:23

I too am being so cross with the lost of the letter T . On Politics live there is a guest sometimes who does not realise that the letter T is in a lot of words ,what has happened to the BBC. I am also annoyed with the th/wiv.
ps. I am in no way "posh"

Vivian123 Wed 17-Jul-19 14:16:16

I hate it when people replace the 'g' at the end of a word with a 'k', such as in 'thing' being 'think' 'everything' as 'everythink'. There is a BBC presenter, on both Countryfile and the One Show, who never finishes the ends of words and I don't believe he has a 't' in his alphabet.

Another thing that annoys me is the current trend for people to answer a question starting with the word 'so'. This means nothing and doesn't add to the answer.

Other things that annoy me are people who continually say 'You know'. I normally don't know, until they tell me, so why say it? There was a certain Chelsea footballer who, in an interview, used the words 'You know' thirteen times. It was only a short interview, as well.

We have a beautiful language, so let's keep it that way!

Fank ewe fer listnin ta meh.

Luckygirl Wed 17-Jul-19 14:28:02

None of this bothers me at all! - do I have something missing I wonder?! I'm all for variety.

My mother used to nag me about "correct" (who says?) speech as we lived in Essex and she was terrified I would finish up with an Essex accent. As I result I sound like the Queen mother!

Why bring your children up in Essex if you want them to sound as though they come from Berkshire?

Her lowest point was listening to some children playing marbles and one said "I' i' i' !!!" Those of you from that area will be able to interpret this! smile

crazyH Wed 17-Jul-19 14:28:18

Has anyone heard of the Wren and Martin book of grammar ? That was our bible in school

EllanVannin Wed 17-Jul-19 14:35:35

Wensdy today---Chewsdy yesterday. s'elp me God.

evianers Wed 17-Jul-19 15:22:10

There is an extremely annoying young woman on Radio 3, mostly at the weekends, who insists on welcoming one to Wadio Free - speech impediment or affectation? Either way, can they not find someone else?

grandMattie Wed 17-Jul-19 16:00:39

Has anyone noticed the way some BBC journalists talk about Dee-oo or no Dee-oo Brexit? Sets my teeth (teef?) on edge! I’ve got DH watching out, we have hysterics...

grannybuy Wed 17-Jul-19 16:48:02

I find that the younger generation don't use the 'wh' sound. They say were and wen for where and when etc. I spent a lot of time ensuring that my pupils got it right. My pet hate at the moment is people in the media saying Bregzit instead of Brexit. A lot of shouting at the TV!

yggdrasil Wed 17-Jul-19 16:50:00

It is Alexander Armstrong on Pointless who annoys me. Most of his speech is very clear, but he just cannot say 'Geography'.

HiPpyChick57 Wed 17-Jul-19 16:57:45

The ones that wind me up are using of instead of have.
Ceemmunity instead of community.
The one that really pees me off is when people say stastistics instead of statistics!
Growing up if we ever mispronounced a word such as Kekkle instead of kettle or miggle instead of middle we would be taken to task by my grandmother and now if I hear the same words being pronounced wrongly I’m correcting them in my mind.

Rosiebee Wed 17-Jul-19 17:12:40

"f" instead of "th" is a real bugbear, especially when you hear adult presenters / football pundits using it. It makes them sound like children. It's not an accent or dialect, it's just lazy speech which hasn't been picked up on. You would think that they could make the effort to correct themselves. And I won't get started on the absent "t". See ya la'er - as they say or
mis-say. confused

Lessismore Wed 17-Jul-19 17:17:59

I think some of these are dialect/accent , some are sloppy and some are the ever changing nature of language.

I have always said "amachur" . I think it might be accent?

Lessismore Wed 17-Jul-19 17:18:33

PS ...can't stand Hospical

sodapop Wed 17-Jul-19 17:18:38

I hate that too gillyknits it really grates doesn't it.
If John Torode says ' tumeric' one more time I will send out a hit man. It's 'tuRmeric' and as a chef he should know that.