Gransnet forums

Pets

Mia

(134 Posts)
numberplease Wed 17-Oct-12 17:15:20

Well, we collected her this afternoon, but she`s awfully timid, has spent ages hiding behind the fridge freezer, came out for food, then cowered in the bathroom, behind the toilet. We`re not forcing her, she`ll come out in her own time.

Oldgreymare Wed 17-Oct-12 17:40:36

Good luck Number I'm sure she'll realise she's found a good home. Do you know anything of her history?

Anne58 Wed 17-Oct-12 17:44:05

Digby spent almost the first 48 hours in the downstairs loo, but is well and truly established now!

You could try a feliway plug in thingy?

numberplease Wed 17-Oct-12 17:46:49

OGM, no, no history known, but she`s been in care since May, living in a pen in her foster carer`s garden. I`m sure she`ll be fine in a day or two.

Marelli Wed 17-Oct-12 18:04:28

She will number. You've not got a noisy home and there'll be lots of nice food for her. She'll settle. I'm so pleased for you. smile

crimson Wed 17-Oct-12 18:30:21

Yes; I think a plug in thingy would be a good idea [I'm a great believer in them]. Also I think the valerian I use for the dog can be given to cats [relieves anxiety]. She can probably tell that there was another cat in the house as well [don't mean to be insensitive by saying that number] and that might make her a bit worried.

Anne58 Wed 17-Oct-12 19:43:57

number Digby was brought in to a house with 2 long standing cats, and where a beloved one had recently died. He was one of 4 that came from the same house (their owner had sadly died). As mentioned the first couple of days were a bit fraught (he behaved as if auditioning for the sounds in the Exorcist). Half way through the first evening Mr P announced that he couldn't/wouldn't put up with it, the cat was to be taken back the next morning etc.

Now? Maurice treats him like a slightly mentally deficient younger brother, Lily tries to flirt with him this involves occasional hissing, which in this instance is the feline equivalent of the sort of playground tactics used by pubescent girls) and Mr P spoils him rotten, letting him do things that the others aren't allowed to, and when he phones home (Mr P that is not Digby, he's not allowed a phone yet or money for a pay phone) after asking how I am, his next question is "How's Digby?"

annodomini Wed 17-Oct-12 20:36:47

Cats absolutely love valerian, crimson. It seems to be addictive like catnip. I had valerian in my old garden - not the ornamental, red flowers, but the medicinal herb (valium!). Once, I found my black cat, Sam, digging through the snow to try to get at the root. He and Sandy, the ginger one (with some help from next door's Bobby), killed off all the catnip and catmint in the garden because they loved them so much.

Anne58 Wed 17-Oct-12 20:44:53

anno , valerian grows wild around here, both the red and white flowering type, although none currently in my garden. If I was to venture forth and grab some, would the cats enjoy the flowers and leaves, or does it have to be the root?

Marelli Wed 17-Oct-12 21:17:32

They certainly do go mad for valerian! At a time when I was having trouble sleeping, I bought some valerian teabags, and took the infusion to drink in bed. My last cat, Lucky, went crazy for it, nudging my hands so much that I had to get out of bed so that I didn't spill it. I ended up throwing the teabags away, anyway, because the tea tasted awful!

annodomini Wed 17-Oct-12 22:08:23

phoenix - the drug comes from the root of valerian officinalis (plenty of info on Google) which is an annual plant. What are you trying to do to your cats? Creating addicts?

Anne58 Wed 17-Oct-12 22:17:35

anno , Maurice loves his catnip fishy (from Harrods, don'tchaknow) bought on a business trip (me that is, not Maurice) which I top up from time to time with a catnip spray. But Lily and Digby seem impervious to it's allure, so was just wondering if I could find something else that might "float their boat" so to speak!

And as for addiction, Maurice assures me he could give up at anytime, providing there wasn't a vowel in the month. smile

annodomini Wed 17-Oct-12 22:22:50

Some cats can take it or leave it. Sam loved the valerian but Sandy stuck to the catnip and catmint.

Oldgreymare Wed 17-Oct-12 22:48:46

SoNumber up 'til now Mia has been an 'outdoor' cat? I'm sure she'll soon realise the benefits of a warm cosy home.

numberplease Thu 18-Oct-12 01:27:29

Tonight, me and her had a little talk. I explained to her that she wasn`t to sleep behind the fridge anymore, and had to mix with the family, so since then she`s been asleep behind the coffee table in here. Result, of sorts!!

Marelli Thu 18-Oct-12 09:41:22

No cat would want to sleep behind my fridge.....grin.
It sounds like she needs a lot of loving, number. I wonder why she was in a pen in the foster-carer's garden?

annodomini Thu 18-Oct-12 09:51:11

That's progress, number. You must be good at speaking feline. grin

baubles Thu 18-Oct-12 09:53:41

My rescued kitten had been removed from her mother too soon, we got her aged 5 weeks. She was terrified on the journey home and as soon as she was released in the kitchen she shot into the very small gap at the side of the washing machine. Eventually we decided to pull the machine out only to discover that there was a hole in the flooring which she had manged to get into. It took a age to get her out, skin and fur flying in all directions!

She has never been the cuddliest of cats but settled down eventually although my brother did once ask what is the point of a cat that doesn't sit on your lap?

shysal Thu 18-Oct-12 15:23:03

Here are some tips for settling a new cat, probably a bit late now, but may be a help. This technique has always worked for me. The time taken to settle in can take days or weeks depending on the temperament and history of the cat. www.catchat.org/bonding.html

numberplease Thu 18-Oct-12 15:50:40

She`s a bit better today, doesn`t run off as much, and has been exploring. Photo in my profile.

Marelli Thu 18-Oct-12 15:57:10

She's lovely, number - what a bonny cat! She looks quite settled there! smile

crimson Thu 18-Oct-12 16:23:33

I've not used valerian on a cat, but have bought some for my dog as she is terrified of fireworks and she was a wreck for months last year [bonfire night goes on for weeks and weeks]. Gave her some for her last trip to the vets thinking that she'd be stressed out after her operation and she was very chilled. I've got the tablets and the tincture and I'm going to start giving her the tablets this week. A company called Dorwest herbs supply them [recommended on my whippet forum]. Have sedative effect I would imagine so probably not a good idea for a cat that's going outside.

gracesmum Thu 18-Oct-12 16:26:57

She's lovely, number - I hope she realises that she has landed on her paws with you!

numberplease Thu 18-Oct-12 16:34:32

At the moment she`s sleeping with her head on my fingers. Every time I move them away, she gives a little murmur and moves her head again, back onto my fingers!

soop Thu 18-Oct-12 16:37:04

Number Mia is beautiful. Do you suppose that I could paint a white cat? hmm