Gransnet forums

Pets

Does anyone understand?

(59 Posts)
Tedber Thu 02-May-19 21:46:24

In January, I lost my lovely amazing mum...she was 89 and I was at her bedside when she was dying, holding her hand. In March, I lost my lifelong friend of 52 years and again I was with her when she died, holding her hand.

Three weeks ago...my gorgeous 10 year old ginger cat, Duke collapsed on the floor without warning. Had been really healthy. Rushed him to vets, they kept him in for 3 days and phoned to say....he wouldn't make it and they were going to humanely put him to sleep. I had to send my husband because I just couldn't cope seeing my little boy go...... So weird I know but the pain I felt when he went was every bit as bad as my mum and my best friend. I couldn't even begin to explain how bad I felt..... Does anyone else understand???

TwiceAsNice Thu 02-May-19 21:56:45

Absolutely! I love my daughters cats to bit, see them every day and they’re not even mine. Animals curl round your heart. I’m so sorry this has happened to you, you have had a lot of loss

Charleygirl5 Thu 02-May-19 22:01:16

Oh yes, I was totally distraught when my last cat crawled home (literally) to tell me how ill he was. I took him to the vet and he was put to sleep and it took me months to get over it - the house felt and was, so empty. It took me around 6 months before I made the decision of getting another cat, Tara from the CPL.

CanadianGran Thu 02-May-19 22:05:26

I do understand. I lost my little beagle and our wonderful cat within a month of my mother passing away. While I lived quite far away from my mum and didn't see her very often, both of my pets were a loving part of my household and so were missed in a different but very real way.

phoenix Thu 02-May-19 22:08:45

So sorry for your loss, I know how much it hurts.

humptydumpty Thu 02-May-19 22:11:04

I completely understand, my heart goes out to you.

Jane10 Thu 02-May-19 22:16:44

Oh gosh I'm with you there. Our pets are family too. It's desperately painful when they go. I remember all the cats I've ever had and often talk about them. Luckily DGS really loves animals and loves to hear the stories of their various daft wee ways.

SalsaQueen Thu 02-May-19 22:22:35

Yes, I understand. Over the past 38 years, I've had several cats, and I've been upset when they have died. One in particular (Cleo) was 14 when she had to be put to sleep, after suffering a stroke - the vets kept telling me it wasn't that, and they did blood tests and kept her on a drip for the weekend, before finally admitting that they couldn't do anything to help her. I sobbed so much when she suffered like that, only to be put to sleep.

GrannyIris5 Fri 03-May-19 08:15:39

You have my sympathies it’s heartbreaking to lose a pet. I can still weep for any of them they are such a big part of our lives and so dependent on us for their needs. We are waiting for the ‘right time’ to take our 13 year old dog for her last visit to the vet. We’ve never been without a dog or cat in 40+ years.

Slowcookervegan Fri 03-May-19 08:21:39

Im so sorry for your loss. Sounds like you have had a hard time.
I totally understand the loss of a pet. I still miss my dogs (sorry never had a cat).
They are our children so it hurts so much.
I wish there was some way of taking away your pain.

sodapop Fri 03-May-19 08:33:01

I'm so sorry Tedber you must be very sad at the moment. The loss of your cat is no less valid than the loss of your Mum and friend. Coming so closely together that's very hard.
Our family and pets all have special places in our hearts and lives and leave a big gap when they die. Take time to grieve for all you have lost, you have my sympathy.

Anniebach Fri 03-May-19 09:23:46

Grief is grief , it’s natural to grieve for a much loved pet x

BradfordLass72 Fri 03-May-19 09:48:21

It's love and grief which causes the pain and it doesn't matter whether you love a human or a precious pet.
Love is love.

The loss is intense and it will take time to come to terms with it all but eventually you'll be able to manage the heartbreak and reminisce about the wonderful years you had with them.

It's bringing these memories to the fore which help us come to terms with our loss - but it's too soon yet Tedber allow yourself to grieve first. flowers

notentirelyallhere Fri 03-May-19 09:59:01

Of course, as Bradford Lass has just said, love is love and animals are part of our families.

Only yesterday, I finally buried the ashes of my last dog in the garden of the house we have finally settled in. I've kept her in the box the vet gave us containing her ashes for 5 years.

It felt safe to give her a last resting place and as I buried her, I shed a few tears and I spoke to her and remembered the times we had together and how she had loved me and I had been grateful for her love and hoped she had felt loved too. It felt warm and complete. They never really leave our hearts.

jaylucy Fri 03-May-19 10:55:43

Of course ! Our pets are part of the family - I can't count the times that I have been in tears each time I have buried one of our rabbits or guinea pigs.
But to me, we have a special connection with our cats and dogs and losing your cat, on top of the other bereavements you have had so recently, why shouldn't you be upset ?
You will eventually remember happy memories of your mum and friend that will help with the grieving process and you will remember the joy of your cat's company too with a smile.

Ironmaiden Fri 03-May-19 10:58:15

My son and I had an almost 20 year old cat. She lived in my son’s room and I didn’t have much to do with her but she shared a strong bond with my son(27) who has ASD. I used to see her as a bit of a nuisance because I dealt with the litter tray etc. I started to feel sorry for her when about three years ago she began having seizures and was diagnosed with kidney disease. A few months ago she got so skinny the vet took her off the kidney diet and on to a high calorie one but she didn’t gain weight and was hardly able to walk. Cut a long story short the vet hinted for weeks she might need to be put to sleep. The vet came to the house to do it and my son held her until she had gone. I knew he would be upset but while I thought I may be a little sad I was actually distraught. After they had gone we just held each other and sobbed. I couldn’t function for several days and every time I thought about her lifeless body being wrapped up it started me off crying. Even now if I think about that day and about her I can get tearful. She was like a part of the family, I guess.

SillyNanny321 Fri 03-May-19 10:59:22

When I lost my Tatty Tabby i cried for weeks as I missed him so much.His brother survived him bt a few months & I still miss him too. Five years & 2lovely girls later I still feel upset over my Boys at times. Our pets are part of our family for most of us. As with losing people we love it blurs round the edges eventually & we remember the good times.

Venus Fri 03-May-19 11:02:28

I mourn the passing of my lovely Burmese cat every day. To me she was a person. I'm so sorry for your lose but remember the lovely times you had together and keep him in your heart.

inishowen Fri 03-May-19 11:06:20

Yes I understand. Our 20 year old cat suddenly got very thin and began to fall over. It was heartbreaking to watch her. My husband phoned the vet and they suggested bringing her straightaway. I was not prepared for such a sudden end to her life. I put her in her box and my husband had to take her. As expected the vet put her to sleep as she was too old and sick to be treated. Even now, two years later I still feel her presence. I catch a shadow on the stairs and think it's her. Maybe they never really go away. I'm just thankful now that we gave her 20 years of love and care. My son has just adopted a 10 month old cat and once again the cycle of life begins.

Annaram1 Fri 03-May-19 11:07:09

People who have never had a cat or dog just cannot understand our affection/love for them. I have had 5 dogs at various times, and when they passed away or had to be put to sleep it was almost as bad as when my dear husband passed away after years of suffering. Its like tears in your heart. The only difference between my feelings for the loss of a pet and for the loss of my husband is that I got over the loss of the dogs much more quickly than I am getting over the loss of my husband. That still hurts after 3 years.

blueberry1 Fri 03-May-19 11:08:37

Absolutely understand tedber,it's perfectly normal.So sorry to hear of your losses.I lost my dear little dog last year when he had to be put to sleep due to kidney failure.It's heartbreaking but I found people to be very understanding.Let yourself grieve for your cat as you do for your dear mother.

Craftycat Fri 03-May-19 11:33:20

I am so sorry for your losses- all of them.
Of course you feel like this- I was distraught when following a long illness ,we lost our lovely Mulligan last year - as I have been when any of our cats/dogs have died. They are part of your family & it is perfectly natural to grieve.
We waited a couple of months (we still have his sister) & then went to a rescue centre & came home with 3 young cats. Yes 3!! We just fell in love. They are the most wonderful, loving animals ever & although I still miss Mully on a daily basis their mad antics have helped me so much.
There is nothing like a warm purring cat on your lap in the evening.
When you feel up to it maybe look at local rescue centres- but be strong if you only want one cat.
To be fair it is not difficult for us to have lots of animals- we had 6 cats, 2 dogs & were fostering kittens for CPL at one time! hectic but so much fun!

GeorgieKay Fri 03-May-19 11:47:11

I understand and I feel for you as you've had such a difficult time recently. The way you are feeling is completely normal and you need time to grieve.

Patticake123 Fri 03-May-19 11:59:04

Absolutely understand, perhaps not for a cat as I’m not particularly fond of cats, but I still miss my lovely dog he was part of the family. To have so much loss in such a short period of time is very traumatic, please be kind to yourself, grief is absolutely normal, whoever it is for. ?

grandtanteJE65 Fri 03-May-19 12:20:00

Tedber: we all understand, I cry buckets every time I lose a pet, and this last time, I cried harder than ever before.

I think both your and my reaction is due to the fact that when our parents died, we coped. We had to, didn't we, making funeral arrangements and all the rest of it.

You hadn't expected your beautiful cat to die, so the shock too makes grief stronger, and when a pet dies, we can go right ahead and break down, because we don't have to notify the bank, and all the others that had to be told when mum and dad went.

There's light at the end of the tunnel. Just take the time to grieve.