Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

NOW CLOSED: Take a look at E.ON's new energy tariff quote & comparison tool and give your feedback to be in with a chance of winning a £500 John Lewis voucher

(66 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 29-Oct-12 11:55:05

E.ON are trying to make it easier for customers shopping around for a new energy tariff by reducing the number of tariffs it offers to no more than five for customers to choose from. The new tariffs are designed to be simpler and easier to compare with E.ON's new online tool.

Here's what E.ON says about it: 'We know that choosing the right energy tariff can be daunting, so we've simplified our tariffs and launched a new online tool to help make choosing our best deal quick and easy to do in just a couple of minutes'.

E.ON would like you to visit their online energy tariff quote and comparison tool, enter your details and see what deals you're offered. They'd then like you to come back to this thread to give your feedback on the following:

- how you found the comparison tool to use
- what the deals on offer were like e.g. how much you would paying and what rewards you could get

Everyone who visits the tool and then adds their feedback here will be entered into a prize draw to win a £500 John Lewis voucher.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!
GNHQ

Granny23 Mon 29-Oct-12 14:31:26

If that is the simplified version of the tariffs, I would hate to peruse the originals! All these £10 or £20 rewards are just confusing and will make minimal difference on a £1,700+ bill. I was unable to use the comparison tool properly because my current tariff, with ScottishPower, (Advance Payment) was not listed. The use of lots of empty white space makes the site look cool and uncluttered, it was easy to navigate.

All of the tariffs quoted, inclusive of rewards and discounts, estimate us at approx. £200 more than we currently pay. Currently we have a dual fuel discount and a worthwhile 5% discount for paying annually in advance. We thought it was a good idea to use money in an old savings account, which was paying less than 1% interest, in this way.

To sum up - site is fine, tariffs average.

whenim64 Mon 29-Oct-12 15:14:14

Messy comparison site, no better than uSwitch. Has glitches, so when trying to get a low usage Age UK quote, it kept defaulting to medium usage. My new average usage is just under £1,000 a year, as I live in a small cottage. It could only quote me £1,123 and above. I actually like Eon, and only left them because of a price hike. I would return to them if they could quote a reasonable price, as British Gas are constantly making mistakes.

lucid Mon 29-Oct-12 16:05:32

Have had a look....don't like it as it is far too confusing. How do I know that the 5 tariffs are the best for me? I would still have to go to a comparison site to check against other companies....
Why can't the fuel suppliers offer 'like for like' so that they would be easier to compare.

relichunter Wed 31-Oct-12 19:53:17

eon are very good if you are on invalidity allowance or i think any allowance you get a %15 discount its called warmth allowance but no companies adveritise this as its a goverment thing

relichunter Wed 31-Oct-12 19:56:09

if you need to compare then you have to look t kwh for gas and elec like the higher and lower tariffs can be very confusing unless you know what your on about

relichunter Wed 31-Oct-12 19:57:45

if anyone needs to contact me im only to willing to help

relichunter Wed 31-Oct-12 20:01:29

wellim here you want helpi do study the sites and the comparisons

borderjoe Thu 01-Nov-12 15:43:14

AT FIRST VIEWING, IT SEEMS CLEARER WITH A PANEL SHOWING SUMMARY AND FEATURES PROVIDING AT A GLANCE BASICS AND THERE'S A PROMINENT NOTE REGARDING LINKS TO TESCO CLUBCARD. HOWEVER, I'D STILL USE OTHER COMPARISON SITES TO CHECK THE BEST DEAL.

borderjoe Thu 01-Nov-12 15:44:10

AT FIRST VIEWING, IT SEEMS CLEARER WITH A PANEL SHOWING SUMMARY AND FEATURES PROVIDING AT A GLANCE BASICS AND THERE'S A PROMINENT NOTE REGARDING LINKS TO TESCO CLUBCARD. HOWEVER, I'D STILL USE OTHER COMPARISON SITES TO CHECK THE BEST DEAL.

BeeB63 Thu 01-Nov-12 16:00:28

I found the site clumsy and over-complex although it didn't look that way to begin with.
Have no faith in it showing the best deal for me, and as others have said would still need to go to comparison sites to get accurate info on best tariff.
Not very impressive at all.

mrshumphreyjr Thu 01-Nov-12 16:04:41

I also found the site confusing, only 'reward' on offer is Tescos clubcard...What about those people who use Sainsburys/Nectar?

I would also use something like the Martin Lewis Martins Money Matters site to check out the comparitive benefits of other providers. I was also reluctant to include details of email, as I dont want to be cold called by people selling this service.

Oh, and even if these do work out cheaper, they have to be looked again often, as the prices go up all the time.

eGJ Thu 01-Nov-12 16:04:57

Why the Tesco Clubcard advertisement? We have no gas in the village, but there are no concessions for my area. I found USwitch easier to use and more simply worded. I woulsd use Which? site to help rather than this

Pamaga Thu 01-Nov-12 16:40:51

I changed last year from Eon to Scottish Power as the price comparison indicated that the latter was a better deal. Having looked at the tool, it does look now as if Eon could be better value but this is just comparing Eon deals with each other rather than with other suppliers. It would be useful if this could be incorporated into a Uswitch comparison site too in order to facilitate further research into the benefits and disbenefits of the different supplier offers. I feel more explanation is necessary in order to make an informed decision.
I had problems with Eon in the past because of my particular lifestyle - 6 months living in the UK and then six months living abroad annually. This gives misleading accounts of our fuel usage and can lead to overpayments and underpayments which are unhelpful. Perhaps having the online payment facility would help counteract this?

milkflake Thu 01-Nov-12 16:44:24

We have just changed our tariff as an existing Eon customer, with no problems, we are now on the cheapest.

Winefride Thu 01-Nov-12 16:49:14

We are currently a customer so I tried it . In the end I rang the helpline super lady very helpful now on 12 month fixed tariff for over 60s saving £42 a year on approx £450 a year spend . NB we are away in motor home a lot so hence less than average annual spend.

jeni Thu 01-Nov-12 17:39:56

Doesn't help and doesn't work properly on iPad!

marsco Thu 01-Nov-12 17:40:40

Was not impressed with this site, areed with mrshumphreyjr was reluctant to give e mail incase it resulted in everyone contacting me with same info , will stay with usual comparison sites i already use

wallers5 Thu 01-Nov-12 17:56:45

I find all comparison sites a nightmare, especially for gas & electricity with all their tarrifs. E.On did however call me and were very helpful & told me that I had got the best deal - with a rival! so that seemed pretty honest.

paulinecnd Thu 01-Nov-12 18:15:31

I found it easy to use but would have expected the site to know that there is no gas supply at our postcode. Definitely put off by the tesco rewards as we think tesco customer service is terrible and no longer shop there.

poshpink Thu 01-Nov-12 21:37:00

Too much choice - too much information & its very difficult to find out which is the best deal. Personally I feel it is much better to be discussed over the telephone between 2 human beings - or am I just old fashioned!
Why are the rewards through Tesco clubcard - not everyone shops at Tesco or do they?

grannygrunt Fri 02-Nov-12 10:58:44

I was just as confused after checking the web site as I was before! I expect that's what they are hoping! If it was easy to understand everyone would be on the lowest tariff and they would loose money. Hopefully David Cameron will make it a requirement and not just voluntary. (Can't see that happening though - he wouldn't want to upset big business and help the working class)

jcdoh Fri 02-Nov-12 15:44:42

everyone needs best value for money! but no-one commented on these powerful businesses not being british owned! as far as i am concerned i would rather pay a little more in the comfort of helping my fellow workers -in jobs and taxes! but i am also against over these large businesses that have pushed out smaller indepenant providers- same with daily shopping;
THE WORST THING THATS FORCED (or tried to) on their Customers to PAY by Direct Debit, or be charged extra cost of £5 per month with VIRGINMEDIA; isnt it time we took control of how we pay --providing its on the required date??
i paid online to virgin by visa long before they brought in this ability - and since they did i have had to pay this extra charge, regardless of whether its paid in full and on time every month!! like many of you i am now old and having the ability to pay online in say bad weather or when not well should not be penalized by a charge of extra £5!
Perhaps Gransnet will take up this cursade? i must be owed thousand for these charges, i wish to have this money back !

lastly you mention comparison sites--do you know who owns them? i found one C.E.O was head of several sites plus others. admiral was one,
sorry if this rather long, jcdoh ANGRY

SusannaCallaghan Fri 02-Nov-12 23:54:34

Well, I couldn't even get started - I input my details and postcode and their system didn't come up with my address! (My address comes up fine everywhere else).

michelleblane Sat 03-Nov-12 17:30:59

I found the site easy to use but as we changed from Eon to Scottish Power last month, we will not now be changing for a couple of years. I put in our address and it asked if we had gas. I would have thought as we have just changed from Eon, they would know we haven't.