Gransnet forums

Relationships

My Ruby Wedding

(65 Posts)
Kacee Sun 16-Jul-17 10:48:23

My husband left me 2 an a half years ago for a younger model.
Today would have been my Ruby Wedding anniversary. I still miss him dreadfully an am really sad that today will pass without anyone acknowledging it. It was my wedding day

Caro1954 Mon 17-Jul-17 16:57:26

Kaycee you've lost three stone!! You're doing SO well already! Well done! flowers

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Jul-17 17:07:07

Three stone?
I need some tips smile

Now, that must have done a lot for your self-esteem and confidence and I think you deserve to treat yourself (not food!). Well done and be very proud of yourself.

flowers

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 17-Jul-17 17:44:03

These anniversaries are always sad for those of us who are left on our own, for whatever reason. As others have suggested, do something which makes you happy. flowers

Legs55 Mon 17-Jul-17 18:14:33

My DH died a few months before our 21st Anniversary (my 3rd marriage & a very happy one), the following year I spent it with my family so I wasn't on my own. Last year was a little harder as it would have been our Silver Wedding. I took myself out for the day, I'm a NT Member & treated myself to Lunch.

Plan a treat with family/friends or on your own if you like. This year I'm off to Boots for a Hearing Test, good timing, not. But I shall probably go for Lunch somewhere.Hugs & flowers

mumofmadboys Mon 17-Jul-17 18:18:41

I remember you posting at Xmas 're intending to lose weight. Fantastic that you gave lost 3 stone. Well done! Do you have children?

sarahellenwhitney Mon 17-Jul-17 18:33:59

Nothing destroys your confidence more than rejection. Can you afford to book a holiday? a weekend break?.A singles will be better than being with couples.?
Get away from the time it would have been your ruby wedding
If a man or woman can walk away from nigh on forty years of marriage it is not a fault of the other person or the marriage would have ended in less than half that time. Console yourself with the fact your ex is convincing himself a younger woman will bring back his youth.grin Unfortunately for her.ie the younger model, he will have lost his youth, which you had, and now she has to look forward tosad men problems, warts and all and everything the advancing age of a man brings.
Will she cope? or she herself look for a younger model?

mcem Mon 17-Jul-17 18:50:06

Have to say that significant anniversaries are not always a source of sadness.
Had this conversation with my ACs recently as 2 years from now would have been my Golden Wedding.
Divorced 20 years ago and perfectly happy - good friends with ex and his lovely wife!
One sister just had her 45th - happy but low-key while other sister ignored her recent 42nd.
Anniversaries have never been hugely significant in our family.
Stop looking back at what might have been and enjoy your future independence.

Kacee Mon 17-Jul-17 19:34:27

Mumofmadboys, yes I have 2 daughters and 5 grandchildren and I am very lucky they all live near by.

Laine21 Mon 17-Jul-17 23:34:10

I split with my ex 12 years ago........maybe its the divil in me, but every year I send him a text saying happy (un) anniversary!

and I bet he calls me a choice word or two!
there are lots of 'inspirational' sayings, onwards and upwards, don't look back, etc etc.... my favourite is from My Big Fat Greek Wedding, "Don't let your past dictate who you are, but let it be part of who you will become."

its hard sometimes to move on, (I had 3 years to learn to move on while he lived downstairs and told me he wasn't moving out! he eventually did) but my tip is always have a tub of ice cream, a bottle of wine, or a bar of chocolate in stock, and a computer or laptop, so you can come on line for support and you wont go far wrong ((HUGS))

sweetcakes Tue 18-Jul-17 09:19:30

Wow well done you on losing 3 stone now have fun with it x

KirbyGirl Tue 18-Jul-17 11:10:50

Have you thought about line dancing? You don't need a partner.Where I am the classes are virtually all women, and elderly. And they are fun. I made new friends and also felt much better afterwards from the moving and music. Plus, now I can't do it any more because of hip problems, I learn that line dancing is recommended for staving off dementia!

Kacee Tue 18-Jul-17 11:59:53

Kirkby girl I have 2 left feet so would not be comfortable with line dancing.

Shizam Tue 18-Jul-17 20:34:15

Hope you got through it all and did something lovely for yourself. Anniversaries are hard. But does sound like he's an arse and you're far better building a great rest of your life without him. Don't regret the relationship. You did well to do the years you did together. Need to take my own advice!
And you never know...A friend works in a care home. Two of the residents, in their eighties, have fallen for each other and are now planning marriage! Madly in love. Hope for me!

KirbyGirl Wed 19-Jul-17 10:53:53

I had two left feet and I was a very slow learner - but it didn't matter. When everyone else was on intermediate I was still struggling with beginners dances!