Gransnet forums

Relationships

Am I being unreasonable

(60 Posts)
flamenco Fri 18-Jan-19 08:13:44

My partner of ten years was diagnosed with lymphoma in July, his family live in the far north east. He decided we should move from Bucks to Newcastle to get better treatment and be near his daughters. We would rent. Reluctantly I agreed. We have been here 4months, I really dislike it here, I have no friends no family and I have never lived in a city being a country person. I have never been so unhappy, which is affecting my health, Am I being totally unreasonable about all this.. I am totally taken over by his family!

Patticake123 Sat 19-Jan-19 22:22:58

You are in a difficult situation, worrying about your partner and trying to settle into a very different environment. I had a similar situation and would be despairing that I didn’t know anyone and couldn’t understand the accents, but I forced myself to join different things and before I knew it, I’d started to meet people and make friends. Good luck, you’ll get there.

Eloethan Sun 20-Jan-19 00:43:23

I think the OP feels unhappy enough already without people making nasty remarks saying that she should think more about her partner's predicament.

I expect she is extremely upset and probably worried and depressed about her partner's illness. At this very difficult time, living somewhere that she is unfamiliar with and where she has no friends or relatives of her own to turn to must be very difficult.

Flamenco I hope some of the suggestions on here are helpful to you and that you start to feel more comfortable in your surroundings. Last year I went to Newcastle for the first time and it seemed a very nice city, though I didn't have time to look around much. Some of my relatives moved up there from Essex many years ago and they really love it there. I hope you will eventually feel the same, or alternatively, have the opportunity to move back to Bucks. Wishing you all the best.

Alexa Sun 20-Jan-19 00:43:46

Flamenco has three troubles.
Lives in the city not the country: move to a country rental. Try Rightmove online.

Lacks friends and family.: will have to deliberately cultivate a friendship. Try local U3A and choose someone.

Taken over by his family: assert yourself and do what you choose to do.

Alexa Sun 20-Jan-19 01:10:17

Amble is a coastal village within striking distance of Newcastle if you have a car. The countryside around is lovely. Some rental properties are £4-500 per month

moobox Sun 20-Jan-19 13:19:11

Morpeth is a pleasant market town, buses to Newcastle every 15 mins and bus journey takes half an hour or so, or a 15 mile drive.

Jalima1108 Sun 20-Jan-19 14:30:44

Some nice suggestions but if her OH needs to be near the hospital for possibly daily treatment, then living some distance away (and trying to park) may not be feasible.
I know people who have had to travel long distances to the oncology centre and it's an early start - getting up at 5 am in order to be there on time. Not easy when you're not feeling well either.

If you can drive, flamenco then perhaps taking your OH out to the countryside or coast on 'days off' will do you both good.

Alexa Sun 20-Jan-19 23:53:23

Right you are Jalima! Maybe they would like a small camper van with its toilet and a little cooker to make a cup of tea, plus a bed for someone who feels not very well to lie down.

Jalima1108 Sun 20-Jan-19 23:54:47

Are you selling one Alexa grin

Alexa Mon 21-Jan-19 00:44:40

I have sometimes thought I'd really like a little campervan.