Gransnet forums

Relationships

DIL seeking advice

(156 Posts)
Lakelover89 Mon 11-Jan-21 17:50:26

Hello, I am a long time lurker first time poster. I am seeking advice for what to do about a husband/inlaw issue I have been having for a while now. Just thought maybe some of you grandparents could give me some insight on how to make this better. I have been with my husband for 5 years now and we recently welcomed our first child q little boy in late 2020. I will try to keep this concise and to the point. I can provide more details if needed.

The issue is, is I often feel left out and disrespected during visits with my MIL and FIL. Since I first met them 5 years ago they just don't seem to want me around despite me being polite, respectful and trying to get to know them. My inlaws go between ignoring me, making passive aggressive remarks, correcting/arguing with me about meaningless things and preaching to me and my husband about what we should be doing better. I now dread visits and I am beginning go resent my husband for allowing this to go on so long. On the outside his parents dont seem like rude or mean people, they have friends and are well educated but they come across as just plain mean at times. They never ask me about myself, dont listen to me if answer the question they ask during a visit (how are you?) And they change the subject if I try to participate in any conversations.

Before our son was born my husband was alot more receptive to how I felt. He would at least try to include me or stand up for me if he thought his parents were being rude. We also saw his parents a lot less which was way more manageable for me. Now we are back to seeing them weekly. If I complain to him he now defends them, he says that's the way they are we can't change it. He wants me to just be quiet and go along with it so our son can have a good relationship with them. I do admit they are good grandparents to their other grandkids. But the other part of me has some mama bear instincts where I want to shield my son from them. I worry he will learn these behaviours or he will begin to treat me this way during visits as well. I already feel like the inlaws have a little club with husband that I am not allowed to join. They already claim everything my son does is just like DH and he looks/acts nothing like me.

I am beyond frustrated about this. I feel like I try really hard to include them and make them feel wanted but I am met with nothing but disrespect. During a few of my special events (wedding, baby shower, etc) I included MIL in them and she put a sour note on each event by snapping on me in front of others like I was a toddler. Should I just grin and bear it like I've been doing for the sake of everyone getting along? Should I stand up to them myself to hopefully make it stop? Should I give my husband an ultimatum to get him to see it's a problem and he needs to fix it?

If you have made it this far thanks for listening. I could really use a friend right now.

Toadinthehole Wed 13-Jan-21 16:49:39

I found we couldn’t do anything as a couple. They didn’t listen to me. It had to come from my husband. We worked together behind the scenes, but he had to try and deal with them. When he finally did, there was no going back. It was unsalvagable.

Newatthis Wed 13-Jan-21 17:09:29

The word 'jealousy' was mentioned by you. I think that this could be part of the problem. My MiL was very jealous of me and made sure she ruined every happy occasion because the attention wasn't focussed on her (engagement, wedding, Christenings). My husband, like yours, did not want to speak up for me which caused many rows between us. Try to not let it bother you even though it's very difficult, concentrate on your lovely son and try not to let it affect the relationship you have with your husband because if so, she will have won.

Hithere Wed 13-Jan-21 17:17:58

Madgran77

This is not a "potentially" situation at all
His parents and husband have been seriously impacting OP for a very long time.

Smileless2012 Wed 13-Jan-21 17:20:14

My m.i.l. was jealous of me Newatthis which caused no end of problems. I do think it helped that I was willing and able to stand up to her for myself and didn't expect him to always do so for me.

We have a very good relationship now and have done so for many years.

Good post Madgran.

Norah Wed 13-Jan-21 17:33:04

I would be very unhappy if one of 4 s.i.l would not stand up to his parents for my 4 daughter. Biblical "leave and cleave" is in play, H allegiance is to his W.

Lakelover89 Wed 13-Jan-21 17:35:37

Hi guys thanks for all the advice it is really good to see an outsider perspective. I don't have any updates yet as the next visit I predict my husband will ask for is this weekend. He hasn't yet but I am sure it's coming. I am going to say no and see what happens.
I do agree this is not a potential problem either it is a full on problem. I think it's best if my husband and I approach it together but I do think he needs to be the one to set the tone. If I stand up to her/them and he doesn't back me then it will create bigger problems I am afraid.
Just some insight with him seeing this as normal, is even though before he met me and our first year of dating he claimed her had a fabulous relationship with his parents. We used to see them 3 times a week at the beginning and they were long visits. His parents would ignore me for the entire time so I said he could go alone and he stopped because he preferred to spend time with me. So maybe there is some jealousy there. I think with MIL it's more control I think shes jealous of my mom getting more time but with me I think its control I could be wrong though.
During the multiple visits and even now I observe PILs not even treating DH all that well. They are very critical of DHs weight and control all food portions at their house. Which is odd to me since DH is on the slender side of average. They also argue with him if he disagrees with anything they say and they treat him/us like toddlers at times. During our last walk his mom yelled at him to get off the ice. It's weird and part of the reason why I hate visits with them. It's odd to watch, the only difference is they listen to him, are interested in him, laugh at his jokes and genuinely seem to enjoy his company as opposed to their attitude with me. I think he sees it as mom and dad are the boss and I am their child. What I want is for him to recognize relationships change he is a man with a family and he and his wife deserve to be respected as adults.

Norah Wed 13-Jan-21 17:35:53

I agree Toadinthehole. Also, being the way they are is reprehensible.

Lakelover89 Wed 13-Jan-21 17:44:16

Also to note the rude passive aggressive behaviour and snapping from MIL only started when we got engaged about 2 years into our relationship. It cooled for a bit after our wedding but has really amped up again since around the time our son was born. We cant get through a visit anymore without it happening. Not sure if this helps either advice. It could be jealousy I don't really know where it is coming from.

Smileless2012 Wed 13-Jan-21 17:53:45

A husband's allegiance being to his wife doesn't mean it should be, or needs to be done at the expense of his relationship with his own parents Norah.

As for the biblical reference found in Mark Chapter 10 in reference to Genesis, this is to do with the marital relationship between husband and wife; the two becoming one flesh, and with regard to divorce. The question asked of Jesus was about divorce, not the relationship between a married man and his parents. It is not as so often miss used, that a husband should ultimately abandon his parents for the sake of his wife. He leaves his parents to set up home with his wife.

It looks from your last post Lakelover as if your p's.i.l. as well as regarding you as a child, still see your H as a child and need to see him for the man, husband and father he has become.

There has been some progress hasn't there, as to begin with you used to see his parents 3 times a week for long visits. Progress is slow I agree but you are on the right path.

Smileless2012 Wed 13-Jan-21 17:56:26

I was referring to your post @ 17.35 Lakelover.

welbeck Wed 13-Jan-21 18:00:57

i agree with Toad; you must not acquiesce in your own debasement.
you cannot change her behaviour, and don't try directly. just think carefully, read up on assertiveness, and change how you act in her presence.
she sounds like a control freak.
long visits 3 times a week, for a young couple, sounds odd, let alone with her ignoring you.
it sounds dysfunctional long before you came on the scene. your husband has been acclimatised to it, probably can't really see it for what it is.
that's another reason she blanks you, your presence rocks the boat, disrupts the dynamic where she is big boss and can control everyone esp your husband.
that you are beginning to see all this is a good first step.

Hithere Wed 13-Jan-21 18:04:20

The moment she is passive aggressive, you leave with baby.

Depending on her response to her boundary stomp, decide when and if next visit happens.

Passive aggressive behaviour is not a trait of a good grandparent. Nip it now before your child is affected by it.

Norah Wed 13-Jan-21 18:08:34

When God created marriage, He made a rule for relationships between a husband and wife: “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother shall cleave to his wife, and they shall be one flesh” (Genesis 2:24). ... The moment you get married, you “cleave” to your spouse. Your spouse comes first.

Madgran77 Wed 13-Jan-21 18:28:18

This is not a "potentially" situation at all
His parents and husband have been seriously impacting OP for a very long time.

In the context of using the word potentially I meant it could do more harm to the marriage/partnership potentially; I did not say it could potentially impact on the OP because I was referring to the partnership, which I think is clear from my comment.

Yes I agree there has been considerable impact on the OP already!

Madgran77 Wed 13-Jan-21 18:30:18

I found we couldn’t do anything as a couple. They didn’t listen to me. It had to come from my husband. We worked together behind the scenes, but he had to try and deal with them. When he finally did, there was no going back. It was unsalvagable

And the key thing there is toadinthehole is that you came to those conclusions together and moved forward together with the outcomes. A true partnership approach! smile

Norah Wed 13-Jan-21 18:33:00

Fact: "Passive aggressive behaviour is not a trait of a good grandparent. Nip it now before your child is affected by it."

Neither is this behaviour good for your marriage or self.

Madgran77 Wed 13-Jan-21 18:34:46

I would be very unhappy if one of 4 s.i.l would not stand up to his parents for my 4 daughter. Biblical "leave and cleave" is in play, H allegiance is to his W

Yes but "standing up for his wife" is not the same as working as a partnership to decide a strategy which may or may not be DIL speaking for herself or Husband doing it, or them speaking together!!

Madgran77 Wed 13-Jan-21 18:35:58

I do agree this is not a potential problem either it is a full on problem

Yes Lakelover I can see that, I explained the context of my use of that word upthread. I was not suggesting that it was not already a problem!!

Smileless2012 Wed 13-Jan-21 18:36:05

I'm not disputing that Norah, you should re read my post. All too often it's 'used' that a husband should cleave to his wife at the expense of his relationship with his parents, and that is the miss use and miss interpretation of the text.

Madgran77 Wed 13-Jan-21 18:36:33

Passive aggressive behaviour is not a trait of a good grandparent. Nip it now before your child is affected by it

I agree! .

Lakelover89 Wed 13-Jan-21 18:47:57

Madgran sorry yes I see what you mean by potentially. It definitely has the potential to be an issue that becomes much bigger later on for sure. I'd like to try to make it better before it becomes to much to bare, especially with a little one involved now.

Smileless2012 Wed 13-Jan-21 19:32:44

I think you'll succeed Lakelover because that clearly is what you want to do.

I respect you for looking at the bigger picture, for seeing how not resolving this issue will impact not just on you, but on your husband, your son and his parents. In many ways, I was just like you are now.

IMO jealousy does have a role in all of this. I don't know if you've ever raised this with your H but if you haven't, I'd suggest you do so.

It was a huge issue with my m.i.l., my DH couldn't see it until I suggested it may be an issue and that enabled him to see the situation more clearly.

It wasn't an easy fix believe me, and we had many years of problems due to his mother's behaviour, but we got through it because we had the same goal to reach for.

You and your H can do this tooflowers.

Madgran77 Wed 13-Jan-21 19:33:35

Very wise Lakelover. Miserable situation to deal with flowers

Norah Wed 13-Jan-21 20:14:52

Lakeover, I suggest that maybe a year or two cooling off time, not around P.i.L may be of help to your sense of being frustrated.

Madgran77 Wed 13-Jan-21 21:47:23

a year or two ....just like that? confused