Gransnet forums

Relationships

How well do you get on with...

(59 Posts)
MrsPickle Sat 27-Feb-21 19:43:58

outlaws?
We may not get on with DiL perfectly harmoniously, but we are good friends with her parents.
Been away on holiday with them, meals, coffees etc. But we agreed to keep our own confidences.

I remember my parents having a 'cordial' relationship with my in laws (with whom I enjoyed a warm and loving ralationship), but they kept their distance.

Nicegranny Mon 01-Mar-21 14:19:28

Laurensnan
lm sorry you lost your son.

H1954 Mon 01-Mar-21 14:41:09

My in-laws died many years ago. Although both very set in their ways they were pleasant and kind. Not like their 2 daughters who both saw me as a threat and resented me from day one.
When we first married my MIL would buy us bits and pieces for our home, a nice teapot, a couple of bath towels etc., but we were sworn to secrecy and told never to tell her daughters. Quite why that was I will never know because we were all too aware that the parents were bank rolling both daughters regularly with huge amounts of money.
Both daughters were so jealous!

Sarahmob Mon 01-Mar-21 15:12:13

We get on well with our DD’s in-laws, we meet occasionally at GC birthdays etc and exchange Christmas cards and token gifts. We don’t live close enough to each other to meet socially.

Haydnpat Mon 01-Mar-21 15:52:00

"Never met on set of in laws" not even at the wedding?

Joelise Mon 01-Mar-21 16:12:26

My SIL’s mother, is one of my best friends!

Sloegin Tue 02-Mar-21 07:35:45

DIL's parents were polite and pleasant enough any time we met them ( her father's dead now and mother doesn't travel) but obviously not keen to be friends. SIL's parents very friendly and pleasant but they are Frech with limited English and our French is limited even though my husband's is better than mine. I seem to find it impossible to improve!

Happysexagenarian Tue 02-Mar-21 13:03:23

We are great friends with all our DIL's parents. We meet up for family occasions, they visit us, we exchange cards for birthdays, Christmas etc, and we phone each other occasionally. We gained a new set of friends when our sons married.

Alittlemadam Tue 02-Mar-21 19:59:51

My MIL never accepted me or my children and disowened her son. When she passed away and this may sound horrid but I was so relived that I would never again have to put up with the way she treated us at family occasions. I am my husbands second wife and at a funeral she stood with my husbands daughter and ex wife and basically rubbed or noses in it. Glad she's gone