Gransnet forums

Relationships

To stay or go?

(91 Posts)
Localandlost Tue 13-Jul-21 22:01:37

I have been with my partner for over 12 years. We are very different people and over the years that's become increasingly apparent. He very much takes care of himself for example I will get in from work and he is already cooking his meal, or even eating it. There will be no sign of a meal for me or my daughter. He plays a very limited role in her life. I don't feel I can rely on him. When I ask for help, which is rare, I often get no. I have had two health scares recently, the first he knew about but didn't wish me luck when I went for my tests, didn't offer to come with me and never enquired about the result. I never bothered telling him about the second as there was no point. I feel like we are together but living separate lives. I worry I'm chasing a dream. Perhaps this is normal? But I feel so lonely and sad. Surely a relationship is caring for each other. I'm so close to leaving.

Hithere Tue 13-Jul-21 22:04:24

Run

Shinamae Tue 13-Jul-21 22:05:16

As fast as you can and don’t look back

Localandlost Tue 13-Jul-21 22:07:12

So this isn't normal?

Shanavine Tue 13-Jul-21 22:07:13

Nope it's not normal sorry.
It's hard to see it from the inside but it does not appear to be a healthy relationship.

Mancjules Tue 13-Jul-21 22:08:07

Yes get out...it's not normal. Look after yourself.

BlueBelle Tue 13-Jul-21 22:09:55

Better alone which you are anyway, get out no point in staying really is there ?

Localandlost Tue 13-Jul-21 22:10:36

I'm just so confused by it all. My dad had an issue recently and he stepped in and sorted that. But when I needed help with something it was an outright no. I'm very independent and can manage most things but just occasionally I would like to be taken care of. That doesn't seem unreasonable.

Nannylovesshopping Tue 13-Jul-21 22:20:43

Run as fast as your legs will carry you, and keep running!

lavenderzen Tue 13-Jul-21 22:24:01

You must leave. Do not stay and hope it will get better - I can assure you it will not. You deserve better. Good luck.

Redhead56 Tue 13-Jul-21 22:39:57

He helped your dad with an issue probably to make himself look good. But of course you know he isn't it's not just you to be considered it's your daughter too. It's best for both of you to start a fresh and I hope you do.?

Lucca Tue 13-Jul-21 22:45:10

What does the relationship give you that is positive?
If the answer is nothing then make the break now.

gt66 Tue 13-Jul-21 22:55:06

Would you include him if you were making a meal for yourself and daughter? If the answers yes, but he doesn't do the same for you, then you have your answer. It's simple curtesy surely.

I'm surprised you're still with him after 12 years to be frank!

He needs a damn good wake up call!

Esspee Tue 13-Jul-21 23:29:55

Surprised you have stayed in the relationship as long as you have. The sooner you leave the better for you and your daughter.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 13-Jul-21 23:40:43

Why are you still with this moron after 12 years, so when you ask for help he says no, what a charmer NOT, you deserve better as does your daughter, Run, or you will be in this same position years from now,

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 14-Jul-21 05:38:22

I can only echo what everyone else is saying.
Someone who cares about you would have taken you to have tests done, not let you go alone.

Don’t waste any more time on this man, get out with your daughter and have a happy life.

Localandlost Wed 14-Jul-21 06:15:21

Thanks all. Yes I do make him a meal if I'm cooking for me or my daughter. He very occasionally will ask if I want anything. He knows I'm not happy at the minute and is making an effort but that won't last.

Eviebeanz Wed 14-Jul-21 06:41:33

I notice that you say when you get in from work he is cooking or sometimes eating his own meal. Does this mean that he does not work? If that was the case in my house (it is) I would definitely expect my partner to be picking up the slack.

Localandlost Wed 14-Jul-21 06:52:04

No he works full time as I do. He is much less career focused, goes in does his job and comes home. Mine is a demanding job which can sometimes mean long hours and work bought home. I feel like I'm running whilst he is strolling. But my job is my choice I guess and I need the challenges it brings. I would just like some support at home.

Polarbear2 Wed 14-Jul-21 07:51:33

In any relationship you should have each other’s backs. It should be mutually supportive and respectful. That’s the base. If the base isn’t there you’re blowing in the wind. Check your base then make your decision. Good luck.

Tea3 Wed 14-Jul-21 07:58:00

Just a thought.....might he be on the autistic spectrum?

Localandlost Wed 14-Jul-21 08:07:03

Thanks. I think I am blowing in the wind...I don't think he is autistic. He's just very contained. He's the same with his son. Very strange relationship. He loves him but there's minimal effort put in to maintaining the relationship. Me and my daughter are very close.

Mattsmum2 Wed 14-Jul-21 08:15:32

Have you challenged him about his behaviour? Saying how lonely you are?
My partner and I have been together 7 years and it’s been challenging but know he supports me. We decided to live apart about a year ago and we do find the relationship is better. He gets his space I get mine. But he was with me when I had a bypass operation in 2018 and other health issues since.
Think about how you will feel if he’s not with you?
I also thought about could I actually start again with someone else? I’m no good alone.
Best of luck with your decision, do what you need to do to make yourself happy. Take care xx

sodapop Wed 14-Jul-21 08:16:45

Doesn't really sound like a relationship more like a house share. Have you talked to your partner about how you feel and your expectations.
Does he have a problem with the hours you work or the fact you bring work home, you need to talk honestly about things.
I would think about moving on if you can't resolve your difference Localandlost

Susan56 Wed 14-Jul-21 08:23:13

I think you should leave.Apart from anything else it is not showing your daughter what a loving,healthy relationship should be like.