Gransnet forums

Relationships

Husband's hoarding tendencies driving me up the wall

(53 Posts)
Artaylar Wed 20-Oct-21 18:08:09

We've been married 10 years. While we get along pretty well, his hoarding tendencies are a real challenge. I prefer a very clutterfree environment, in fact its pretty essential to my feeling of well being. DH on the other hand is perfectly happy to live with crapola everywhere and enjoys nothing more than buying more stuff to add to it.

For the most part I manage to keep our place from looking like a heap of rubbish, though he still has his 'crapola corners'.

We've got a little party at our place this weekend to celebrate my 60th, and getting him to clear his little corners for the carpet cleaner coming tomorrow is like pulling teeth. We've had a row about it just now - hence my venting off here.

Do any other GNetters face the same challenge and how do you manage and cope with it? I must admit, sometimes it feels like a losing battle that I feel like giving up on to drown in a sea of crap.

MaizieD Thu 02-Dec-21 11:44:39

M0nica

Artaylar I am another for whom an ordered environment is essential for my well being. In my youth I used to say that i could not marry anyone who smoked or was untidy. Well, DH doesn't smoke and hid his untidyness very well. He is not a hoarder per se, but in his whole life I do not think he has ever shut a door, a drawer or a cupboard and he never puts anything away. Milk will be left beside the fridge, squash on the worktop above the cupboard it belongs in. I often wonder how many years of my life I have spent, shutting doors, drawers and cupboards, putting things a way, switching off lights and looking for things he has put down, he knows not where, and now cannot find.

Like others I am happier with him than without, but just now and again I need to have a rant.

I know this is an older post, but it made me laugh. I have one who is exactly the same as MOnica's. grin

Unfortunately, though, I'm the hoarder in our family...

Dottygran59 Fri 03-Dec-21 14:53:17

Oh Grans, are we all married to the same man? Mr Dot has some spare roof tiles that were in the garage when we moved in in 1986 - he has kept them all this time, there must be 30 of them, and every time he clears (haha) the garage he moves them about - until - eventually - we had a new roof - he was so smug that AT LAST the sodding things would come in useful, and was so proud when he presented them to the roofer - only to be told that they only cost 50p each...................