Gransnet forums

Relationships

husband doesn't like my baking...

(130 Posts)
spabbygirl Thu 09-Mar-23 11:24:35

I retired last yr 2 yrs before husband & thought I'd take up bread & cake baking & imagined myself loading up the table with all sorts of baked goodies that would be eagerly scoffed by my husband, we never get visitors as kids live to far away. But I'm not a good cook and lots of my sourdough has not been good & during a family meal out recently when I was considering buying a new sourdough book (I love books) he winced and said I cook unusual different things that he didn't always like. I knew this cos he's just walked past so many bakes I've made & never eaten them & they get chucked out. I do add part wholemeal flour and less sugar cos it's better for my IBS which I have painstainkenly explained to him many times but I am so upset about it. I only want to just cook him lemon drizzle cake with lashings of sugar & white flour cos it's not good for me, though I do bake his stuff sometimes & I just feel that all my good intentions are rejected. I have been poorly & low lately & the timing isn't good but now I'm really hurt. am I overreacting????

crazyH Thu 09-Mar-23 20:16:35

Spabbygirl - your husband just doesn’t like cakes, I guess.. He loves you or he wouldn’t stay married. Your cakes will be appreciated elsewhere. Wish I lived near you …..

Callistemon21 Thu 09-Mar-23 20:30:24

silverlining48

I can’t even get a cake icon work grin

Here are some I made earlier!
🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂

am I overreacting????
Probably spabbygirl
There's no point in expecting him to eat things he doesn't like.

As others have suggested, practise baking him some light sponges, lemon drizzle etc, portion and freeze in portions.
Bake soda bread, wholemeal goodies for yourself and ditto.

Our first row when we got married was over a pudding I made, he said he didn't like it and I got upset because I was trying to impress him with my cooking. But we'd only been married for a couple of months 😁
To be fair, I never did Home Economics at school although my Mum was a good cook.

ElaineI Thu 09-Mar-23 21:43:22

I don't like sourdough things even from M&S so would never try to make them. I know what my husband likes so would bake what he liked or family liked. Mary Berry's lemon drizzle in baking with children is easy and delicious.
DD1 baked lots of vegan cakes and cookies for DGD's 6th party as 1 child was vegan. They did not taste anything like the non vegan things she bakes then DGS2 took an immediate allergic reaction to something in the vegan stuff and came out in hives all over which lasted for 4 days. I would say just bake things he likes or you like or experiment with different amounts of the ingredients.

Hetty58 Thu 09-Mar-23 22:21:20

My neighbour is always baking - but for her church, mainly, and the grandchildren. Her husband and eldest son just don't like cakes. (No, I simply can't imagine not liking them.)

V3ra Thu 09-Mar-23 23:06:41

VickyB

Take comfort from this. I like to make my own (healthy veg filled) soups, my adult children who love my spiced parsnip one, have all asked for the recipe and now make it for themselves however my husband prefers tinned soup.

As a newly-wed I once spent the whole afternoon making cream of chicken soup from scratch.
My husband enjoyed it and as a compliment said it was,
"Just like the real thing, out of a tin."

(He is still my husband...)

Sweetpeasue Thu 09-Mar-23 23:09:05

V3ra Just brilliant.

welbeck Fri 10-Mar-23 00:16:44

why the concentration on baking.
if you want to do something involving cooking, what about nutritious savory food.
you could learn and expand your repertoire.
most baked items are empty calories, too much fat and sugar.
they are not necessary in a good diet.
i think it's wrong that there are so many tv programmes encouraging this obsession with cakes.

spabbygirl Fri 10-Mar-23 11:33:34

Thanks for that everyone, and love those that bought a chuckle, especially the crocheting new clothes!!! smile I think he should be a bit more thankful, he also doesn't listen to me when I say I cook wholemeal stuff for health reasons and Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall has some fab recipes with part wholemeal in his book comfort food. So I explain over and over why I reduce sugar and swap some flour to wholemeal and he still asks why I don't always cook his favourite lemon drizzle! I do sometimes, he did it himself once! I think with me I'm better if I have a project and that was going to be mine, but I'm going to learn art & French next. I looked up u3a and it looks great! I'll get stuck into something else, that'll help! Thanks everso for your help, and if you see someone out in one of those grand crochet numbers, you'll know it'll be me having decided to take up crochet!!

Esmay Fri 10-Mar-23 12:33:44

I've been baking for a very long time .
I'm 70 and I learnt to cook and bake from my grandma .
I watched her .
I learnt how to make shortcrust pastry and Sponge cakes by four or five .
She had an old fashioned cloth bound cookery book and I worked my way through it .
As I grew older I became more adventurous .

My advice :

If you enjoy baking - just continue and find another eater for your cakes !

Careful with tweaking recipes .

I'd stick with Mary Berry, maybe Margarite Patten (sp ?) and Mary Stewart .

My friends and I have all had disasters with Delia and certainly with Nigella .

Hithere Fri 10-Mar-23 12:43:32

Op

It is clear that you and your dh are not on the same page regarding healthy eating

No point in trying to convince him, he also has the right how he eats

So glad you are taking other hobbies that will make you happy

Hithere Fri 10-Mar-23 12:44:00

At some point, it becomes a power struggle so this is not about baking at all

Shelflife Fri 10-Mar-23 13:12:26

Please don't fret about this , if your DH doesn't like your baking - tough on him . Baking is not difficult, just do what Delia Smith says you can't go wrong! Or of course Mary Berry. Although Delia is my go to lady .

spabbygirl Fri 10-Mar-23 14:27:00

thanks all!!! It can easily get into a power struggle, I think for the first 8 yrs or so her ate anything I gave him & its only since my sourdough attempts he's really taken objection. I will stick with Mary B & DS say, I've done some of theirs before & they've been great. Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall swops out some of the flour for wholemeal & cuts the sugar & you have best of both worlds then. I will find some people who understand the need for healthy food smile

pascal30 Fri 10-Mar-23 14:32:58

Art and French sound far more enjoyable and you'll be with lots of other people all learning together out of your house..holidays in France painting in lavender fields hey?

Callistemon21 Fri 10-Mar-23 15:14:34

spabbygirl

thanks all!!! It can easily get into a power struggle, I think for the first 8 yrs or so her ate anything I gave him & its only since my sourdough attempts he's really taken objection. I will stick with Mary B & DS say, I've done some of theirs before & they've been great. Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall swops out some of the flour for wholemeal & cuts the sugar & you have best of both worlds then. I will find some people who understand the need for healthy food smile

Grated carrots in carrot cake add sweetness, banana cake needs less added refined sugar, Dorset apple cake is delicious.

If you sift the whole wheat flour, removing the bran, your DH might not notice. You could add some wheatgerm too. Add an extra teaspoon or two of baking powder might lighten it and make the cake rise a bit more.

Don't turn it into a battle, find a compromise.
If you're enjoying baking, experiment.

spabbygirl Sun 12-Mar-23 11:19:09

Callistemon21

spabbygirl

Grated carrots in carrot cake add sweetness, banana cake needs less added refined sugar, Dorset apple cake is delicious.

If you sift the whole wheat flour, removing the bran, your DH might not notice. You could add some wheatgerm too. Add an extra teaspoon or two of baking powder might lighten it and make the cake rise a bit more.

Don't turn it into a battle, find a compromise.
If you're enjoying baking, experiment.

Brilliant news Callistemon21, eating less white flour is good for us all, but especially if you have digestive issues. I know my tummy troubles are not just a dr's whim, every now and again I get crippling tummy aches, I can't stand up when I get them, its different than IBS and it makes sense to manage it as far as possible without antibiotics, so far the only treatment that helps me. I will do that, I mill my own flour using a mock mill so I have control over the level of bran in it, though sifting is probably still a good idea. Thanks so much.

nipsmum Sun 12-Mar-23 11:21:23

I understand how you feel but you can learn another hobbie. I was always taught to use my time wisely. I like baking but as i am on my own now it's not something I do very often. I knit , i sew, for a while I made greetings cards. Find something else you enjoy doing to keep you occupied. Volunteer for WVS or something you think you would like doing. Your other half might be happy to help you with suggestions.

Amalegra Sun 12-Mar-23 11:21:43

Why don’t you take up preserving? I know it’s not as fashionable as baking but the results are great! As well as the usual jams and chutneys, there are fermented recipes (SO good for your gut), pickles, low sugar preserves, American style fruit butters etc. They make lovely gifts or donations to fund raisers too! A great book for those who don’t want to make huge batches is ‘One pot of luxury preserve from the microwave’ by Sonia Allison. I live alone but like to still keep my hand in and often give them as gifts. Very satisfying to see a few pots lined up! I’m not saying it’s cheaper than shop bought (unless you have access to your own produce) but the results are infinitely better and you can create your own recipes when you’ve mastered the basics. Lots of good books on the market. Your husband might enjoy them more too!.

Jay21 Sun 12-Mar-23 11:30:38

I think what's happened here is that before you retired you probably has this picture in your head - happy days spent baking and a smiling husband drooling over your offerings. The reality is the opposite and you feel upset. Baking is a science. I love baking and have been doing it for 50 years and even now get some failures. If you really want to bake then, as others have said, do a course but there's only so much cake and bread that 2 of you can eat so maybe take up another hobby or join a local women's group like the WI and make your world bigger. And as for making perfect pictures in your head that don't turn out I used to do it all the time but I'm 'cured' now and far happier.

MeowWow Sun 12-Mar-23 11:33:07

I like to bake and nothing is ever thrown out, except for the flops I occasionally have! As for sourdough bread, I’ve given up with that. I painstakingly made the starter and made the bread and it was a flop. Not one to give up easily I made it a few more times and it was no better so I gave it up. I even tried the sourdough kits. They were flops too. I can make normal bread ok and when I do I always use half strong bread flour and half whole meal flour in my recipe. Never had a flop. Look at Paul Hollywood recipes for your bread and don’t give up trying. If you enjoy baking carry on but do easy things first. Try looking in the Bero book. Simple tasty recipes. Good luck spabbygirl 🙂

Coughdrop Sun 12-Mar-23 11:39:29

I feel for you and I wonder whether there is a little more to this? I think we often show our love by cooking/baking nice things for our loved ones. Perhaps this feels like a rejection of you and your love. I also agree with someone who said retirement can be a difficult time. It takes time for us to re-evaluate ourselves and reading your post, it really felt like your self esteem is somehow tied up with your baking and wish to create tasty things for your husband. This isn't so much about you "overreacting" but rather not thinking about what is behind your reaction. If your husband doesn't know how you are feeling and how important these baked offerings seem to be to you, then just telling you he doesn't like certain things would seem like a perfectly reasonable thing to tell you. You mentioned that you are feeling low. Perhaps talking to someone might help? You are far more than your baking and there feels to be more underlying this to me. I hope you don't mind my saying that. Sending hugs and I hope you can start to view this differently. Your husband is not rejecting you but rather simply stating his taste.

Coco51 Sun 12-Mar-23 11:41:59

Why sourdough? Bread with yeast tastes better IMO. I’ve had phases with wholemeal but I’ve only really enjoyed it in carrot cake. I’d cut recipes in half using ingredients your husband likes and another recipe that suits your IBS, or freeze what you have made to bring it out in small portions. You’ll get more practise into the bargain.
I have a little sympathy for your DH though because my OH loves to cook and is always looking up new recipes but he doesn’t have an instinct of what goes together or to adapt if things are not right. He won’t reduce ingredients so that only one porion is wasted so he’s eating the dish for days and I’m having soup!

GoldenAge Sun 12-Mar-23 11:45:50

spabby girl - you are totally over-reacting. Your husband doesn't like your baking, it's not the end of the world. If you want to bake for yourself in smaller quantities then do so and freeze some of what you make so that you get to eat what you want and he goes without bread and cakes unless he visits a 'professional' baker's shop and buys them for himself. With the spare time you will accumulate by spending fewer hours baking, take up another retirement hobby - maybe something in the garden or some voluntary work elsewhere. Please do not make your husband the centre of your universe now that you're retired. If he doesn't like what you bake/cook let him try.

Cossy Sun 12-Mar-23 11:57:14

Don’t give up your baking !! I too have taken up baking since recently retired and have been lucky enough to have a new kitchen with a lovely new oven - I’m rubbish at most things !! Grown up kids at home just laugh and try it all anyway giving me feedback, some of which is useful, some funny and some just plain rude !! Husband just raises eyes to heaven hahaha I just don’t care as it gives me pleasure and I’m not giving up !!! I worked full time for over 40 years, brought up four kids, did most of housework (although husband very hands on Daddy) and then care for my Mum til she passed last year - thanks to my parents prudent saving my inheritance allowed to retire two years early and have a lovely new kitchen - if you want to bake, damn well bake !! 😂😂😂😂😂

Penelopebee Sun 12-Mar-23 12:02:41

Get him interested to bake if you can. He might enjoy it, also you might enjoy the products too. Maybe try more savory things with the brown flour ❤️❤️❤️