Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

As an agnostic

(256 Posts)
Cindersdad Tue 25-Dec-18 07:20:26

Like many I'm not sure if there is a God or not and find it impossible to have a faith as such. However I do take not of the words from the Pope and other faith leaders. The Pope's recent words on scaling back materialism make a lot of sense, thw world's resources should be used more wisely and shared more fairly.

Cultures need to be respected which is why I cannot comprehend extremism in any faith. Currently Islam extremism is doing unbelievable harm though in the past other religions have shown contempt for humanity by asserting their own exclusive monopolies to the truth.

This morning it was heartening to see the New Bishop of London in St. Paul's Cathedral and even more heartening to learn that her compassion and faith stemmed from a previous career in nursing. This got me thinking that preachers are generally better if they have worked outside the church before becoming part of it.

If there is a God then God will judge us as individuals not by our belief in God but by the way we treat our fellow man, living creatures and the planet. Politicians would do well to remember that

Jalima1108 Thu 03-Jan-19 13:26:32

I hope that wasn't advertising - it was just to demonstrate how both physical/social and spiritual needs can be met in the same building!

Alexa Thu 03-Jan-19 13:57:43

As a Unitarian of the Humanist kind I am in agreement with Cindersdad the original poster. Unitarians use not only The Bible for inspiration but also reputable texts from other religions and secular sources.

Anniebach Thu 03-Jan-19 14:51:16

Churches are open to the communities . A house service is cosy but I like the fellowship in church with people I know and don’t know. I like the silence too, and the knowledge many before me and hopefully many to come after me will experience this . I want to take communion at the alter with others .

There is silence in the reading room in the library , not the same as the peace in church, not spiritual .

Vickixx Thu 03-Jan-19 15:10:43

It’s wonderful to read about the community social events and cafes etc in old church building where applicable. It reminds me of a fantastic old city church not too far from where I live. I’m sure it’s been understood the points I raised were to do with the time when people are gathered in the church immediately before a sermon. It’s then I feel it’s only respectful to show a degree of silence as the preacher walks in and for a few minutes before. My wonderful old minister requested silence in the church before a sermon. People tended to whisper if there were things they felt like speaking about and that was accepted. I miss him so much but I’m sure at some stage in life I’ll find another church but I don’t think it will be until our final house move when we downsize.The local church will definitely be high on my priority list when selecting where.

Vickixx Thu 03-Jan-19 15:14:37

I don’t know your reasons for not getting ‘out and about’ Anniebach and I won’t pry. I do hope you will soon manage to get back to the fellowship of your church soon,even if you have to request help to get there and back.