Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Jehovah Witness

(144 Posts)
mrsmopp Sun 25-Oct-20 20:48:38

A long term friend has joined the JW and now wants to enter into long discussions with me, even though I am happy with my C of E church. It’s beginning to spoil our friendship.
I’m trying to be diplomatic in refusing but this friend insists on trying to convert me. Advice please!

Tweedle24 Wed 28-Oct-20 12:50:55

I won’t criticise JW’s beliefs but, it an cause problems. There was a brilliant staff nurse on my ward who converted after her mother did. Because of their belief about blood transfusions, she gave up nursing — a real loss to the profession

mrsmopp Mon 02-Nov-20 10:59:59

Watch the film on BBC2 tonight at 9pm called The Children Act. It’s excellent movie covering these issues. Do watch it!
Recommended !

Alexa Mon 02-Nov-20 11:46:05

Thanks Mrsmopp was that not a book too?

Philreed Mon 02-Nov-20 12:00:20

I was a JW for many decades; no longer, however.
When considering whether to engage your friend in discussion, as some have suggested, maybe the following might help you:
They cannot go door to door right now so it may be they are focussing harder on friends and other contacts; that is their style.
They believe that all mankind is shortly to be destroyed by Jehovah and Jesus - except JW’s.
There is much, much more to their beliefs and practices, but may that suffice.

Luckygirl Mon 02-Nov-20 12:05:00

Tweedle24 - I am happy to criticise JWs' beliefs - they are nuts.

Witzend Mon 02-Nov-20 12:39:16

They’re told that it’s incumbent upon them to make converts, and I dare say she’s been led to believe that as a non JW you will be denied entry to whatever heaven they believe in.

Personally, from experience of JWs persistently coming to the door after they’ve been repeatedly - perfectly politely - asked not to, I loathe them. Particularly when instead of accepting that, they’ve made unbelievably patronising replies such as, ‘But we’re concerned about you!’ ??
Sadly I don’t think polite requests work.

I’m afraid to say that my lovely American BiL’s way was probably best! Sadly no longer with us, he was born into a Jewish family but as a teen rejected that faith and was very much anti all religion.

I don’t recall how we once got on to the subject of JWs and their nuisance calls, but having heard that saying you’re Catholic is a good way to get rid of them, I asked why he didn’t just say he was Jewish - surely even more effective?

In his laconic way he replied, ‘I just tell them to get the f#@* out.’

Might add that like a pp, I have known them to target people at a low ebb, especially the recently bereaved. And I’ve heard that they check the Deaths announcements in local papers for likely prey. How true that is I don’t know, though.

Fuchsiarose Mon 02-Nov-20 12:56:13

I am past caring whether I am saved or not. Life gave me lemons, I stopped making lemonade many years ago. Each to their own, I am always pleased to see others have an interest in anything. The spokes came off my wheels many years ago, but I might get an electric 3 wheeler bike. Now I got one and a half feet. Oh. Well

annodomini Mon 02-Nov-20 13:05:00

As a local election candidate, I canvassed a JW who turned out to be the man who repaired my washing machine. He apologised, saying that JWs don't vote or take any part in politics. I said, 'Well, please pray for me' and he said he would. The day of the election, I was checking the numbers of those who had voted and comparing them with the electoral register and, to my enormous surprise, my washing machine repairer had voted. Sadly for me, neither his vote nor his prayers got me elected. As this was almost 40 years ago, I'm not in danger of a breach of confidentiality.

Toadinthehole Mon 02-Nov-20 13:05:31

That’s sad to hear Fuchsiarose. Jesus wants you to be saved, and the only way is through Him. There’s no name higher...that’s one area the Jehovah’s Witnesses are so off tangent.

Fuchsiarose Mon 02-Nov-20 14:28:00

Thanks Toad in the hole. I can't remember him being there for me ss a child, even though we were sent to church and Sunday school every week. While the social services were outboxed by our father. My time of blind faith ended when I was small. Any beliefs I had back then have evaporated to an inner calm of Now. That's all there is in my world.

Fuchsiarose Mon 02-Nov-20 14:28:37

Meant outfoxed

Luckygirl Mon 02-Nov-20 14:58:57

Fuchsiarose - enjoy your inner calm. It is all we can strive for.

The concept of being "saved" is so loaded. Saved from what I muse?

Philreed Tue 03-Nov-20 09:53:25

Hi Tweedle24. May I ask what you had in mind when you said ‘I won’t criticise it may cause problems’, please?

maddyone Tue 03-Nov-20 10:59:47

Did anyone watch The Children’s Act last night on BBC2? It dealt with the problem of Jehovah’s Witnesses and blood transfusions to save lives. It was only entertainment, it’s a film, but was very interesting. I stayed up late to watch it.

Iam64 Tue 03-Nov-20 12:07:04

I read the book maddyone. A great way to show the dilemma faced by Judges in these life and death cases. In real life, the child would either be represented by the Official Solicitor, or by a Children's Guardian, who would have instructed a solicitor to act for the child. The CG's role would involve establishing the wishes and feelings of the child. Judges do sometimes meet the child but never by making an impulsive decision as the Judge in this story does.

A very good book by Ian McEwan and an interesting film.

maddyone Tue 03-Nov-20 12:11:02

Ahh, I might have to read the book now Iam. It’s not like we all won’t have plenty of time this next month is it?

Daddima Tue 03-Nov-20 12:21:47

So, Apostasy and Children’s Act will be today’s viewing, as I’ve done my one hour’s chores for the day!

We had a child from a Mormon family in our nursery in the bad old days when parents used to send in Coca Cola and cake on children’s birthdays. Though they are not allowed stimulants of any kind, the parents said they couldn’t have the wee one excluded, so just let her have what the others are having.

Iam64 Tue 03-Nov-20 12:30:28

Daddima, they sound like loving parents. Faith can be such a divisive issue.

maddyone Tue 03-Nov-20 13:05:42

They do sound like loving parents, I agree. We had a Mormon child at the school I taught in, but I didn’t teach her. However she wasn’t even allowed to sit in the assembly when the week’s birthdays were being celebrated with the birthday candles and a school song.
Previous to that I flat shared with a lovely Morman girl when I was training to teach. She explained a lot of the ideas to us, but I thought they were strange ie don’t drink tea or coffee, it stains your insides! And makes you unclean! Anyway later on in life she went on to marry her sister’s husband and became his second wife. She emigrated to America to do this, obviously it’s not allowed here. It’s another thing I find both strange and to be honest horrible.

Lin52 Thu 24-Jun-21 21:22:25

Steer clear, same with Scientologists.

Savvy Thu 24-Jun-21 23:30:33

I'm not sure I would want anything to do with any religion that happily accepted Peter Sutcliffe as a member.

Esspee Thu 24-Jun-21 23:56:43

This thread is years old. Otherwise known as a zombie thread.

Savvy Fri 25-Jun-21 00:10:05

Esspee

This thread is years old. Otherwise known as a zombie thread.

On the contrary, this thread was started on 25th October last year, so may be old, but only 8 months old, not years.

nanna8 Fri 25-Jun-21 00:57:51

Quote Revelation 22 v 18 -19 and Deuteronomy 4 v2 about not adding anything to God’s word. That might make her think.

lemsip Fri 25-Jun-21 05:47:33

savvy Yes the thread is 8 months old but,don't you think the OP had her answer 8 months ago........The thread is dead. or should be.