Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Old hymns that you still love

(67 Posts)
nanna8 Wed 07-Sep-22 13:10:09

I love many of the old hymns but particular ones stay in my mind. We went to Rarotonga just before Covid hit and in the church there they gave a wonderful rendition of ‘How Great Thou Art’ which brought tears to my eyes. I also love ‘The old wooden Cross’ and ‘It is Well with My Soul’.

Grandma70s Thu 08-Sep-22 12:11:47

Some of the hymns named here are modern hymns to me!

From schooldays -

Dear Lord and Father of Mankind

Hills of the North, Rejoice

Morning has Broken (my favourite)

All the Harvest hymns

Lots of others

I adored Prayers at school because of the hymns, and the psalms, which we sang to Anglican chant. My love of this music, and the words, was nothing to do with religion!

nanna8 Thu 08-Sep-22 12:42:52

I love the Welsh choirs singing hymns. Absolutely wonderful. Bread of Heaven etc.

Iam64 Thu 08-Sep-22 12:57:17

The King of love my Shepherd is
We plough the fields and scatter
Jerusalem

teabagwoman Thu 08-Sep-22 13:35:01

So many memories brought back by this thread. Our school hymn was “Now thank we all our God” - brings tears to my eyes when I hear it.

karmalady Thu 08-Sep-22 13:37:21

I absolutely love the welsh hymns that I heard so often when we lived in wales, especially calon lan. Very nostalgic

karmalady Thu 08-Sep-22 13:41:18

algy, I read your list and immediately had a flashback of me being in my first communion dress and walking in a procession. Bring flowers of the rarest

silverlining48 Thu 08-Sep-22 14:21:26

Not religious, but I can still sing along to hymns I sang when I was young. Dear Lord and Father of mankind is one favourite.

Algy Mon 12-Sep-22 19:03:46

Chocolatelovinggran
Talking of RVW and hymn tunes - do have a listen to this (from about a minute in) - 'Pan is our all' - but what hymn tune did it become grin www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZHVTr1w6L8

nadateturbe Mon 12-Sep-22 19:10:33

It sounds a bit like For All the Saints...?

Witzend Thu 29-Sep-22 10:59:19

I love so many of these! Now have an urge to find a lot of them on YouTube.
And ‘Eternal Father Strong To Save’ (For Those In Peril On The Sea) - it was my father’s favourite - he was RN and spent two years in the Battle of the Atlantic - very lucky to survive. We played it at his funeral.

Yammy Thu 29-Sep-22 11:10:11

Witzend

And ‘Eternal Father Strong To Save’ (For Those In Peril On The Sea) - it was my father’s favourite - he was RN and spent two years in the Battle of the Atlantic - very lucky to survive. We played it at his funeral.

It was my father's as well. Another R.N. on landing craft at DDay and in the Far East for two years with Americans helping the invasion of the Japanese Islands. He used to joke and say when they were assembled on deck leaving port they all stood and sang it.
At his funeral we had The old rugged cross, he wasn't a singer and it was the only hymn he knew all the words to.
My favourite is
Dear Lord and father of mankind forgive our foolish ways.
I didn't have it at my wedding for obvious reasons.

Glorianny Thu 29-Sep-22 11:39:09

Yammy

Witzend

It was my father's as well. Another R.N. on landing craft at DDay and in the Far East for two years with Americans helping the invasion of the Japanese Islands. He used to joke and say when they were assembled on deck leaving port they all stood and sang it.
At his funeral we had The old rugged cross, he wasn't a singer and it was the only hymn he knew all the words to.
My favourite is
Dear Lord and father of mankind forgive our foolish ways.
I didn't have it at my wedding for obvious reasons.

For many years Eternal Father was sung in every working men's club in Hull that had connections to the fishing community at 9 o clock on a Saturday evening. The losses of the families involved and the risks that men were still taking made it very personal. Still love that hymn.

Anniebach Thu 29-Sep-22 11:40:29

Hymns sung in Chapels in South Wales, and the roof didn’t blow off.

When I survey the wondrous Cross

Cwm Rhondda- Guid me oh thou great redeemer.

Calon Lan

The Old Rugged Cross

Now - How Great Thou Art

SparklyGrandma Thu 29-Sep-22 11:42:57

Mine are;

And Can It Be.
Calon Lan (Welsh).
How Great Thou Art.
The Lords My Shepherd.

harrysgran Thu 29-Sep-22 11:53:33

Love Divine ,Make me a channel of your peace sang at my mam's funeral and All things bright and beautiful always lifts my spirit

nanna8 Fri 30-Sep-22 06:32:47

I get goosebumps even thinking of some of these- And Can It Be is a wonderful hymn. Good old Charles Wesley.