Gransnet forums

Site stuff

GNHQ here - please read

(388 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 07-Jul-20 11:27:47

Hello, GNHQ here, (waving a white flag).

We need your help. As many of you have probably noticed the conversations over the past few days have been increasingly tense. The questions posed have been so interesting and worthy of debate but so often the conversations have derailed and turned into personal attacks (the veiled ones can be particularly unkind). We hate deleting threads when people have taken time and effort to contribute and it must be equally wearing for you all to wade through mean-spirited posts. We'd really like to get back to conversations that include debate/disagreement but that also show a bit of respect and consideration for other posters even if you disagree with them.
Thank you for reading. smile
GNHQ

Riverwalk Tue 07-Jul-20 14:02:39

Kate your post illustrates how problematic it can be when posting on a public forum.

If I remember correctly, you had a very difficult childhood and lost all your hair (I could be mixing you up) however you have had a very long and successful marriage - something that many of us weren't so good at! But I don't take umbrage at those who post about their anniversary celebrations, particularly if attended by their adult children who've never given them a moment's worry grin

I don’t want to read bland opinions but dislike verbal aggression. Feelingmyage I'm afraid, IMO, yer have to take the rough with the smooth, or things will be very bland!

Kate1949 Tue 07-Jul-20 14:11:59

Yes Riverwalk that's me smile Thank you. Personally I love to hear about everyone's families, see their photos etc. I don't want to argue.

Kate1949 Tue 07-Jul-20 14:14:10

And yes of course people are entitled to complain about their hair at this difficult time. I just had a bit of a 'moment' . It's not all about me!

NanaandGrampy Tue 07-Jul-20 14:18:19

I’ve been posting here for. Few years but less and less recently because of exactly what you describe Lara . I hope things can be kinder all round .

GillT57 Tue 07-Jul-20 14:33:23

agreed Lara. I like a good debate as much as anyone else, but I do find the bickering, and sometimes spiteful posts very wearisome.

Bridie22 Tue 07-Jul-20 14:36:37

Agreed, maybe those of us who stopped posting because of unkindness may feel inclined to
start posting again.

NotTooOld Tue 07-Jul-20 14:47:01

Agree. Let's be kind.

Harris27 Tue 07-Jul-20 14:53:09

Totally agree used to look dpfirward to reading the posts and haven’t been commenting on things as I feel so sad about some of them we’ve all been through such a lot and it made me feel like switching off for a while,

Callistemon Tue 07-Jul-20 14:54:52

Yes, Lara

Hands up, I had a post deleted the other day but it was in response to another post which I found truly upsetting and shocking.

I will try not to respond to those types of posts in future.

hulahoop Tue 07-Jul-20 15:02:39

Read thanks Lara I don't post often some I have read recently have been a bit harsh .

FarNorth Tue 07-Jul-20 15:15:06

I've seen someone say, occasionally, that their post was deleted and they don't know why.
A link to GN guidelines is not always enough.
I think it would be useful for GN to say, either in the deleted post or directly to the person, what exactly the reason was.

I have never had a post deleted, btw, so it's not sour grapes from me.

OurKid1 Tue 07-Jul-20 15:22:25

Thanks Lara. I'm one of those GNetters who loiter, sometimes feel moved to write something, then back off in the face of some of the earlier comments. I would never assume that 'my' view is the correct one - what a pity that others often seem to be so sure that they are right. Most of the topics (political especially) have no simple answers. If they did, then we GNetters would be running the country now there's a thought

grumppa Tue 07-Jul-20 15:28:06

I wonder whether the increase in unacceptable postings is a symptom of covid-19 syndrome. We are all a bit frazzled by lockdown, the stuttering emergence from it, and the feeling that our hapless government has not got a grip

growstuff Tue 07-Jul-20 15:31:39

Thank you for listening Lara.

Madgran77 Tue 07-Jul-20 15:32:38

I agree. A pity when threads get derailed and personal.

Peardrop50 Tue 07-Jul-20 15:35:28

Message deleted by Gransnet as it contains a previously deleted post. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

trisher Tue 07-Jul-20 15:41:59

This is interesting but I wonder, when threads do deteriorate into personal remarks usually there are two or three posters involved. Because of those 2 or 3 people whole threads are being deleted, wouldn't it be better and produce better outcomes if those people were warned, any offensive posts removed and a warning issued with the threat of a temporary suspension from GN? It would then mean those interested in real debate could continue. GNHQ has been deleting threads for a long time now and apparently things are getting worse, perhaps you need to review your strategies. It does seem a pity that real debate should be stifled in this way, and there is the possibility that some are just trying to get the thing deleted.

Rufus2 Tue 07-Jul-20 15:42:04

So we know there are still plenty of lovely women here
Nortsat I prefer to say "lovely ladies! smileAnd not forgetting the gentlemen of course, even if we are more rugged than lovely grin
Also, anyone looking for a safe, strife-free thread, take a look at the "Good Evening xxxDay " thread, where you'll find some more lovely ladies engaging in very pleasant conversations.
Good Health
OoRoo

GGumteenth Tue 07-Jul-20 15:49:27

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Ramblingrose22 Tue 07-Jul-20 15:51:45

Well done to GNHQ for reminding people about not beig rude to each other.

However strongly we feel about a particular issue the replies from those who disagree with us should be respectful and address the questions/issues raised, not the person who posted. I am tired of seeing posts saying something like "Oh [name} is always saying that - we know what to expect from her, don't we?)".

Yesterday someone whose name I forget) told other posters to "give it a rest" just because she didn't agree with what they had said. I thought that was borderline rude.

Keep up the good work GNHQ.

Peardrop50 Tue 07-Jul-20 15:53:43

AGAA4 Tue 07-Jul-20 16:07:50

Thank you Lara. I think this was needed.

There do seem to be a few long distance snipers on here who spoil what could be a very good discussion/debate with personal rebukes.

sodapop Tue 07-Jul-20 16:20:02

I would not want to see a bland forum where everyone agrees and we all pat each other on the back. I agree that some personal attacks are unwarranted but there has to be argument and disagreement. I think this is counter balanced by the many kind and helpful posts on here.
It's better not to engage if things are getting personal.

Rufus I am happy to be a woman and not a "laydee" and yes its good to have the views of both men and women. I've probably offended someone now with the last few words.

GGumteenth Tue 07-Jul-20 16:26:27

lemongrove Tue 07-Jul-20 16:32:52

Message deleted by Gransnet as it refers to a now deleted comment. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.