Gransnet forums

Site stuff

New consent form - UPDATE: Link to FAQs here

(109 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 14-Aug-20 15:55:12

Hi all,

As of this afternoon many of you will have noticed a new consent form pop up. Apologies for the late notice - we'd hoped to get a post up earlier to give you advance warning but our resources were focused on getting it up and running as quickly and efficiently as possible.

As a responsible publisher we follow the recommendations of the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB UK) - here's a bit more information about them.

The IAB asks that we allow users to say if you consent to your data being used or not. We've been doing this for quite a while now and this is the pop-up you would have previously seen when you came to Gransnet.

What's happened is that as of tomorrow the IAB is brining in a new standard that publishers have to comply with. The new standard gives the user even more choice over the data that can be collected and used - which is why you are now seeing a new pop-up with far more privacy options.
Whilst it may look a bit OTT it's actually been designed by the IAB to make it better for users and give you more control.

So please don't be worried about this new pop-up - it will in fact give you more information and choice over your privacy.

Hope this helps smile
GNHQ

UPDATE: FAQs page here

Elegran Fri 14-Aug-20 21:19:15

So what exactly is the legitimate interest which enables an advertiser to use our details, over-riding our selection of grey not blue and resetting our choices unless we reselect grey each time we sign in?

Chewbacca Fri 14-Aug-20 23:29:26

Well that was all a total waste of time and effort. Having gone through the whole thing this morning and opting out if everything, plus legitimate interests hmm, the whole lot has defaulted back to the original so has been done again. What a shambles.

Puzzler61 Sat 15-Aug-20 06:29:55

Ditto . Is the SUBMIT button working when we have laboriously changed each slide bar?
It doesn’t Confirm or acknowledge our changes” does it?

Bathsheba Sat 15-Aug-20 06:33:44

Well so far I have had to scroll through this ruddy form three times, on three different devices. Why is that necessary? Surely my choices should be recorded and apply to any/all devices I use?!

Marydoll Sat 15-Aug-20 07:06:54

Snap, Bathsheba!!!!

As usual, not thought through properly before introducing it.
Heaven help people, who are not IT literate.☹️

harrigran Sat 15-Aug-20 08:01:54

Such a faff, I am not surprised people are considering leaving. I have been on GN from the very beginning and never had anything like this to contend with.

DanniRae Sat 15-Aug-20 08:14:16

Is there only one button to deal with - that's all I can see?

Curlywhirly Sat 15-Aug-20 08:37:01

LaraGransnet can you please explain why when I toggle each button to grey and then submit my choices, they are completely ignored! Each time I look at my privacy settings my choices have disappeared.

Pantglas2 Sat 15-Aug-20 08:41:38

I’ve just done same CurlyWhirly! So annoying to see it revert back to blue when I’d greyed every choice, which tells me we don’t actually have a choice in this! We will have to leave or accept it.....

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 15-Aug-20 09:05:51

Well I stayed after the response from Laura, but I’ve just gone to Privacy Settings and I’ve had to slide the buttons back to grey, except for the ones that I objected to( the ones that allow them to look at other devices in my home) there are 3 of them and I can’t disallow them.
And still nothing has been done.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 15-Aug-20 09:07:04

I’ve reported my post to see if we get a reply.

Chewbacca Sat 15-Aug-20 09:11:05

Wretched thing has done the same thing again this morning. angry
What a dog's breakfast this is.

Puzzler61 Sat 15-Aug-20 09:22:00

Would it be too simple for HQ to assume - and have the settings set, that people DON’T want their data shared or have adverts flying at them non stop - and we only indicate if we DO WANT such an intrusion. (Not many takers for that).

annep1 Sat 15-Aug-20 09:29:17

Choices being ignored. Puzzler61 makes good suggestion.

Ramblingrose22 Sat 15-Aug-20 10:09:30

Agree with everyone else. Tried to change the slider to block adverts and nothing happened.

Lara has said "The new standard gives the user even more choice over the data that can be collected and used - which is why you are now seeing a new pop-up with far more privacy options.
Whilst it may look a bit OTT it's actually been designed by the IAB to make it better for users and give you more control."

Lara - how do I exercise my increased choice over the data that can be collected, please? And how have I gained more control when I couldn't move the slider to block receiving things I don't want?

Charleygirl5 Sat 15-Aug-20 10:21:20

Marydoll I am in the category you mention + I think I must be thick which does not help.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 15-Aug-20 10:36:55

Just came out of GN to go to the BBC website , came back and all my non consents have reverted back to Consent, so we have no choice but to accept their demands and allow everything that they want to plant onto our devices.

Puzzler61 Sat 15-Aug-20 10:38:19

You are most definitely NOT thick Charley.
Never think that.

This is challenging the most savvy gransnetters.

cornergran Sat 15-Aug-20 10:46:14

I have been able to change the sliders but am oh so frustrated that my preferences are not saved so the same performance is needed each time. If nothing else why not a 'say no to everything' option, it would be quicker at leas.

kircubbin2000 Sat 15-Aug-20 10:54:14

Can you not just ignore the form or is it blocking entrance to the site?

Chewbacca Sat 15-Aug-20 10:55:35

It blocks entry kircubbin until you click on it.

cornergran Sat 15-Aug-20 11:19:43

Lara, apologies if this has been asked before. On logging on I accessed the consent form and turned everything to grey as I wish to wait for clarity on the implications of agreement before accepting any options. After pottering around the site for a while I looked at my privacy settings at the bottom of the page, which I assume are valid for the current session, all the original settings are live and none of my changes show. Does this mean that I am not actually refusing anything? If so this is surely unacceptable.

JenniferEccles Sat 15-Aug-20 11:29:05

You are right Puzzler61

I would put money on the assumption that the vast majority of us DON’T want the blasted adverts/pop-ups so the obvious solution is to have ‘don’t consent’ as the default setting and let the tiny minority who do want them to have to opt in.

Surely that would be possible otherwise GN could lose a lot of members.

toscalily Sat 15-Aug-20 11:41:54

When I signed in this morning it said "page not available" why? I could proceed to other parts of the website, also the New Consent form did not appear automatically as it does to other users, why? I had to go and search for it in Privacy Setting. Having changed all the settings to grey I have just checked and they have all reverted to blue so it does seem that we do not have a choice, again why? I think there are a lot of questions that need answering.

Marydoll Sat 15-Aug-20 12:17:10

I checked this morning, the legitimate ones have reverted to blue, but the rest are still grey.

I have worked out that once you have done it once on a device, it does not pop up again. However, in my own experience, you have to do it on each individual device you use to access GN.