Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Please GNHQ ... would you consider letting *EllanVannin* come back to this site?

(360 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Urmstongran Fri 03-Dec-21 15:34:03

This lady of 81y lives alone and GN was a great source of company for her. These long winter days are difficult for many to cope with at the best of times. I learned recently that she was given a lifetime ban. I feel very sad about this.

In the spirit of ? and goodwill to all, would you let her rejoin?

FarNorth Fri 03-Dec-21 16:44:47

I am another who is shocked to hear that she has been banned and particularly at a time when we are all suffering more isolation than usual.

It's important to remember the extraordinary circumstances we are now in, which were not the case when the GN 'rules' were set up.
A ban from GN to someone who is elderly and living alone is a much more draconian action these days than it probably seemed in the past.

I often disagreed with EV's opinions, as I do with others, but I would never report them or want any of those people to be banned.

Please reinstate EllanVannin and rethink the GN policy of lifetime banning.

monk08 Fri 03-Dec-21 16:47:09

Please add my name as another who would love to see EV back amongst us.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 03-Dec-21 16:49:06

I fully support this request. For some people such as Ellan GN is their only human companion, their only connection to the outside world.

dustyangel Fri 03-Dec-21 16:51:02

I can remember seeing posts from Ellan Vannin on the Good Morning thread. Always cheerful and made me go out in search of crumpets.smile I really thought that she’d been taken ill and couldn’t post anymore until I started reading about her ban. The last year or two have been extremely hard for most of us, let alone being banned from a site that is a lifeline for isolated people. I would very much like to see her back again.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 03-Dec-21 16:51:33

Add my name please, I would like to see her return

DillytheGardener Fri 03-Dec-21 16:59:28

I would also like to add my name. Though I suspect we disagree with many (most) things political, I think the punishment is too hard on an 82 year old woman who is probably not au fait with contemporary political correctness (if that was got her booted off). I strongly disagree with many of our forthright posters, but none of us here are delicate and those that are, can retreat to gentler threads if necessary. I hate the thought of an elderly woman being robbed of a social outlet during a pandemic.

Sparklefizz Fri 03-Dec-21 16:59:50

Maudi

I agree it's ridiculous a lifetime ban, even in real life murderers get parole. I didn't really know EllannVannin but l support her reinstatement.

I agree, Maudi and I support her reinstatement. It's cruel during a pandemic to take away someone's lifeline.

BlueBelle Fri 03-Dec-21 17:01:23

What on earth did EV do or say to be banned for life !!
Other people who have had this draconian treatment are back posting so why not her ?
I too will add my name to the growing list
HQ do please listen to those that keep your site going

Susan56 Fri 03-Dec-21 17:03:42

I would like to add my name to the list of posters to get EV reinstated.

As others have said a lovely lady and the backbone of her family.During lockdown EV was very rarely able to see her family.To ban an 81 year old lady at such a time seems cruel.

I always enjoyed her posts and found her to be a lovely ,caring and supportive me,bed of the good morning thread.

What a lovely gesture of goodwill it would be to reinstate her.

Beechnut Fri 03-Dec-21 17:05:01

I would like to see EV return. We could celebrate her return with a crumpet party and hot chocolate.

M0nica Fri 03-Dec-21 17:07:02

Add my name to those asking for EV's return. She was on occasion OTT, but aren't we all at times?

Given the age of many of us, we are both experienced enough to not take offence where no offence is intended, but are also very aware of how important a site like GN is to many older members, especially those on their own, and particularly at this time of isolation, who do not feel comfortable with other social media.

Granniesunite Fri 03-Dec-21 17:09:11

What in the name of goodness did she say that got her a lifetime ban. The mind boggles..It would put you off posting.!
A bit of common sense needed.

Josianne Fri 03-Dec-21 17:13:08

I don't really know EV but I know she used to enjoy the pictures on our photo thread and wished she were picnicking by the streams in the fresh air.
Please let her rejoin.

AGAA4 Fri 03-Dec-21 17:19:58

Bring Ellan back. If you live alone GN can be important to you.
I don't think a lifetime ban should be handed out to anyone. Harsh.

Nannylovesshopping Fri 03-Dec-21 17:20:53

I’d like to add my name too please?

Cherrytree59 Fri 03-Dec-21 17:37:47

Agree with all the above posters.

I read the good morning thread most days.
What struck me about EV, is that she the lynch pin of her family.

Her family had dealt with a lot of sadness and needed a great deal of love and support.

EV that went above and beyond what was and probably is still required.
I miss her family updates

Surely GN could take a leaf out of EV book and show the same love and compassion.

Come on GN team, you will probably sleep better knowing that you are no longer leaving a senior lady without the support of her GN friends.
Especially as you have already reinstated a previous banned poster.

Perhaps we need an 2021 amnesty for banned Gnetters?

annsixty Fri 03-Dec-21 17:39:45

There have been far,far worse than EV on this forum (and still are) so it would be a wonderful gesture at this “most wonderful time of the year” to let her back amongst her virtual friends.

Aveline Fri 03-Dec-21 17:42:24

Please reconsider this Draconian decision. Surely it's over the top to ban this poor soul.
Others who have previously been banned have been allowed back...

Auntieflo Fri 03-Dec-21 17:43:45

I am A N Other, who would love to see EV. reinstated. I always enjoyed her Good Morning posts, but as I don't read the political threads, I have no knowledge of her, from those.
As I am quickly coming up to EV's age, as noted above, I would hate to think that I could be banned for some remark or another. GN is a great support, especially as I have been unwell this past year.
GNHQ, please reconsider and please all who are pleading leniency.
Thank you in advance.

midgey Fri 03-Dec-21 17:46:23

Two pages and still no reply from headquarters…..was the crime really so bad?

grandMattie Fri 03-Dec-21 17:46:24

I would like to add my name too, on the reinstatement of EllanVannin. Whatever she did is not worth the “life sentence” served on her.
As someone else wrote, we are not children, we should be able to take opposition and controversy on the chin and carry on.
Poor old lady. Living on her own in an isolated part of the country, she doesn’t deserve extra isolation, especially in these very difficult times due to COVID-19.

fairfraise Fri 03-Dec-21 17:48:48

I agree with the above comments. She was always upbeat and kindness personified to her family, and had had such an interesting life with a fund of experiences, despite being widowed so early. Please reinstate her.

LauraNorderr Fri 03-Dec-21 17:50:17

I think one of us needs to report our own post to draw the attention of GNHQ.
I’ll do it now and then they can watch the support grow.
Please GNHQ read all the posts which have led to this and we hope to see EV reinstated before Christmas.
Thank you so much

Aldom Fri 03-Dec-21 17:50:53

I can only guess at how lonely EV must be feeling during the short dark days of winter. She has a great deal of family heartache and difficulties to live with and chatting on GN must have been uplifting for her.
Please may I ask you reconsider the lifetime ban on Ellan. Make her Christmas happy. smile

LauraNorderr Fri 03-Dec-21 17:52:10

Reported my post