Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

NOW CLOSED Are you a naughty granny or a good 'un? Let Random House know and you could win books for your DGCs

(98 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 29-Nov-13 09:36:44

Are you a naughty granny or a good 'un? Let Random House know and you could win books for your DGCs.

To celebrate book buying for your grandchildren this festive season, the team at Random House Children’s Publishers have asked us to find out if you're naughty or nice...

They say "When buying presents for your grandchildren, do you like to get something traditional that the whole family can enjoy together? Or might you go for something a little bit cheeky that you know the children will love but that the parents perhaps won't wink. This Christmas, Random House Children’s Publishers have a picture book to suit every type of gifting Grandparent".

Have a look at their lovely page on gransnet which gives you some examples of "good" and "bad" books - and may help you decide which type of granny you are!

We have six prizes to be won as Random House Children’s Publishers have three sets of "naughty granny" and three sets of "nice granny" books to give away (value of each set £25), just in time for Christmas.

For your chance to win, just tell us which type of granny you are! And whether, generally speaking do you prefer, the more traditional children's books or the cheekier ones? grin. We'd also love to hear the best examples of how you've been good or naughty smile

For those "naughty grannies" out there, they've launched a new web game for Dino that Pooped a Planet. It plays best in Chrome and it’s pretty addictive! To play, click here.

Thanks and good luck,

GNHQ

Genevieve489 Fri 29-Nov-13 10:00:10

Definitely a 'naughty granny'. If a book makes me laugh, then I'm sure it will make my grandchildren laugh too and what could be better than that?

However, I do also love the more traditional books as I would like my grandchildren to know and love the books I read to my own children. Some books never age.

joannapiano Fri 29-Nov-13 10:30:13

I suppose I must be a naughty granny as I love "Little Rabbit Foo Foo " who rides through the forest on his motorbike and bops all the creatures on the head! At least he gets his come-uppance from the Good Fairy who doesn't like his attitude and turns him into a Goonie !.

posie Fri 29-Nov-13 10:30:50

I love reading & my DGCs know that I'm always happy to read stories to them.
Whether they're traditional books or new, it doesn't really matter as long as I think they'll enjoy them. Although, if they've got an amusing twist, so much the better!

I'd describe myself as nice on top with a naughty centre!

Galen Fri 29-Nov-13 10:34:11

Help! I'm both! I enjoy traditional and more outré .
My eldest DGD is only 2 1/4 , but she already loves her books.
To be encouraged I feel.smile

grannyactivist Fri 29-Nov-13 10:40:49

Definitely a 'nice' granny and known as Granny Book to my three year old grandson. I love traditional tales and I especially like reading them with and to my grandchildren. I enjoy beautiful illustrations and time old stories and never tired of reading the classics, which is fortunate because there are nineteen years between my oldest and youngest child so my storytelling segued neatly from my youngest son to my eldest grandchild. smile
The 'naughty' books are not my cup of tea and whilst I don't mind buying them I leave those for my 'naughty' daughter to share.

gillybob Fri 29-Nov-13 11:00:46

Oh I am most definately the "naughty granny" anything that mensions poop, bum, wee, boobies or farts pumps, goes down a treat with my three little monkeys. I just wish I could bottle the giggles and just release a little bit every so often when I am feeling down in the dumps. grin

glassortwo Fri 29-Nov-13 11:12:06

Well I am the Grandma like the little girl with the curl when she was good she was very very good but when she was bad... grin

I dont mind either traditional or modern books my lot love them all, as long as we are sharing, but we do like good illustrations.

Nonu Fri 29-Nov-13 11:47:52

I do hope I am a ^ Naughty ^ granny !
laugh .

Brendawymms Fri 29-Nov-13 12:22:00

All and any book that encourages a child to read and enjoy doing so is a good book. I however am a naughty nana as I, occasionally, buy things I know my DD's will hate.wink

ItsOnlyNan Fri 29-Nov-13 12:23:20

Oh dear - I'm Naughty Nanny - it's the nickname the GK gave me so it must be true smile

Gally Fri 29-Nov-13 12:31:30

I don't know what kind of Granny I am. I can be a fun granny but I am also a grumpy granny. I don't think grannyhood suits me very much. I quite like handing them back after an hour or three; perhaps it's because I don't see some of them very often and don't know them very well and they aren't used to me? hmm. They all, without exception, love books and the more traditional the better. Too much whackiness around these days wink

Sararose Fri 29-Nov-13 12:33:04

I like the traditional stories but it is no good buying it if the grandchildren prefer the modern stuff! I love to see children reading so anything they want is OK by me. I used to be a naughty granny but I'm not so sure now. I am still searching for some of the books my grandkids loved so I can buy for my great grandson.

MiceElf Fri 29-Nov-13 12:36:15

On the whole I think I'm good granny, but if I'm honest, if the grandchildren didn't already have the naughty granny books, I'd probably be tempted to change my coat.

leokath Fri 29-Nov-13 12:45:31

Naughty all the time - much more fun for me to read with noises and actions to match!!!!

Flowerofthewest Fri 29-Nov-13 13:03:45

Naughty Nanny definitely - I love stomping through muddy puddles, the muddier the better with the grandchildren, the messier they get the happier I am. I buy rude joke books (appropriately aged ones of course for the older children) Yes, all the 'rude' words are read out with gusto. I always buy the children - and there are 11 of them- some books for Christmas and Birthdays. Love choosing them.

GrannyCaz1 Fri 29-Nov-13 13:12:07

Defintely a naughty one I am always playing tricks on the grandchildren, but they love it

Nonnie Fri 29-Nov-13 13:35:10

It seems to depend upon the time of day. At bedtime they seem to want books from the traditional range but during the daytime the more exciting and silly the better. I leave the choice to them as they have masses of books because we and the parents share the view that you can never have too many!

pamelaJEAN Fri 29-Nov-13 14:13:15

Help it seems I am a naughty granny.... I like my 5 grandchildren to laugh... and what makes them laugh more...is the toilet...type books...pee, poo, trump!!!! We all laugh so much... tears streaming down our faces...making the noises and actions..... HELP !! Not to mention the grandma dancing in the kitchen suddenly stopping when another adult comes through eeeeekkkkk Doing the handjive and the locomotion......has them in fits of laughter.... thats what life is all about... laughing and loving!!!!

ellemm Fri 29-Nov-13 14:13:34

Bit of both probably. I take advice from their parents on what they have read and which authors they favour and take it from there, however do often see ads online for new books which I think are going to be funny and different for them.
With four grandchildren aged 14,13,12 and 3 and all avid bookworms, reading material is always on the present list.

wallers5 Fri 29-Nov-13 15:00:12

I was naughty but have calmed down in my old age and feel like a good granny liking sensible books for the grandchildren. I have had too many pee & poo jokes & laughter to last a life time.

Venus Fri 29-Nov-13 15:04:08

I must be a naughty grannie because even if I'm reading my two grandchildren a more traditional story, I'll slip in a little bit of my own story telling, which is generally naughty, just to make sure that they are paying attention!!

Riverwalk Fri 29-Nov-13 15:05:41

To quote Fay Weldon and her cream cakes advert .... I'm naughty but nice!

watsoa Fri 29-Nov-13 15:05:51

I'm hopefully a nice granny and generally prefer the more traditional bedtime story books but sometimes opt for books that I think they will find amusing when they are wearing me out during the daytime.

Grannieanne Fri 29-Nov-13 15:07:12

Most definitely a nice Granny - I love the traditional stories that I enjoyed as a child, and I'm on the lookout for a beautifully illustrated version of the Christmas story suitable for a four-year-old who's playing the Angel Gabriel in the school play, but is convinced that the baby's name is Joseph!