Gransnet forums

Sport

Burghley Horse Trials

(38 Posts)
Fleurpepper Sun 04-Sep-22 15:19:46

Just can't bear to watch horse racing- but love to watch horse trials. Watching Burghley right now- and what a magnificent site too.

nightowl Tue 06-Sep-22 11:26:25

Don’t you think that’s a tricky one though foxie, the idea that I’d a horse doesn’t want to do something it won’t? I think we all know horses that will do almost anything for their humans because they are such willing, trusting creatures. They have to have such a bond with their riders at that level that I wonder if they’d jump off the edge of a cliff if they were asked to do so. And of course, they aren’t able to judge the risks they’re taking nor do they understand the possible consequences. They live in the moment don’t they? And if that moment is everything they are trained to do and what they live (as I’m sure they do) then they’ll do it.

I don’t know, these are big questions but don’t we owe it to them to keep them safe. The thought of doing anything to put my horse at risk absolutely sickens me. But that’s why she’s more of a big pet than a riding opportunity grin

nightowl Tue 06-Sep-22 11:26:48

Sorry for typos I forgot to preview!

MaizieD Tue 06-Sep-22 11:57:24

Don’t you think that’s a tricky one though foxie, the idea that I’d a horse doesn’t want to do something it won’t?

I think I'm with foxie on that one, nightowl. I think that horses have a great sense of self preservation and that a good rider listens to their horse.

My DD's first horse was a keen jumper who would die rather than touch a fence but he had a tendency to put his poll out which made jumping painful for him. So he'd refuse. He knew it was going to hurt. A visit from the vet, who was a great 'back man' and he'd be back on form again.

And I think that if she'd asked him to jump of a cliff he'd've said 'not bl**dy likely mum!"

I think that not only does the horse have to trust its rider, but the rider has to trust their horse.

MawtheMerrier Tue 06-Sep-22 12:23:53

I remember one particular X country jump where the horse had to jump through a brush “oval” without being able to see what lay on the other side, then carry on down hill . Terrified me and I can only think that the horses 100% trusted their riders who perhaps could see more from up top than I thought?
But I agree that however many stone of horse (even a Shetland pony) will not be shifted unless it wants to (or has been beaten into submission and TG top event riders do not go down that road. Thrilling to watch the best though isn’t it?

foxie48 Tue 06-Sep-22 12:26:11

"I don’t know, these are big questions but don’t we owe it to them to keep them safe. The thought of doing anything to put my horse at risk absolutely sickens me. But that’s why she’s more of a big pet than a riding opportunity grin"

nightowl I think everything we do with horses has a risk. I've had to retire my lovely mare as she injured herself in the field but I would never want to keep a horse in a stable 24/7. I see so many leisure horses that are overweight and at risk of laminitis or EMS, a big part of the problem is that many are under worked and over fed. Travelling a horse is a huge risk but might save their life if they need treatment in an equine hospital. I know quite a few pro riders and they take calculated risks based on their experience, knowledge of the horse etc. They usually know what they are doing. I've helped out at unaffiliated XC, SJ and dressage comps and tbh I'd rather be a horse with a pro than being ridden by some low level amateurs. Just my POV.

MaizieD Tue 06-Sep-22 12:29:36

But isn't that what the fences are designed to do Maw? They're people frighteners... grin

First time we walked the Badminton course I thought the fences looked terrifying; the horses just sailed over as though they were nothing...

But you don't get a horse to Badminton without a lot of experience at lower levels first...

GrannyGravy13 Tue 06-Sep-22 13:18:31

I think that not only does the horse have to trust it’s rider, but the rider has to trust it’s horse

MaizieD that is so true, when DD competed our little mare had the courage of a lion, went hell for leather over jumps often bigger than herself, and they won or were placed high frequently.

The darling little horse knew when I rode her round the lanes and streets for gentle exercise whilst DD was at school, that I was not as confident as DD and she looked after me well.

nightowl Tue 06-Sep-22 13:43:34

I would most definitely never keep a horse in a stable 24/7 foxie but that’s not the only alternative to going out and competing. Horses can have a lovely life whether retired or happy hackers or competing. I agree totally about being stuck in a field as well, overworked and underfed. Whatever level we’re at we all owe it our horses to give them the best life possible, and to be very objective about their overall health and welfare. Have you seen track systems? That’s a fascinating take on trying to replicate a horse’s natural lifestyle and diet.

Whatever they are, they need the three f’s - forage, friends and freedom. Some get it, some don’t, at all levels of horse keeping and that includes some top level horses who don’t get turnout.

foxie48 Tue 06-Sep-22 15:45:11

nightowl

I would most definitely never keep a horse in a stable 24/7 foxie but that’s not the only alternative to going out and competing. Horses can have a lovely life whether retired or happy hackers or competing. I agree totally about being stuck in a field as well, overworked and underfed. Whatever level we’re at we all owe it our horses to give them the best life possible, and to be very objective about their overall health and welfare. Have you seen track systems? That’s a fascinating take on trying to replicate a horse’s natural lifestyle and diet.

Whatever they are, they need the three f’s - forage, friends and freedom. Some get it, some don’t, at all levels of horse keeping and that includes some top level horses who don’t get turnout.

Totally agree on the three F's.

foxie48 Tue 06-Sep-22 15:46:56

OH and yes I know about the track system, we've had Welsh ponies!

nightowl Tue 06-Sep-22 16:32:11

grin say no more

nightowl Tue 06-Sep-22 16:33:00

Underworked and overfed above! Not what I said.