Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Here we go again - M&S woes

(139 Posts)
Soutra Wed 17-Sep-14 16:11:39

I was delighted to receive a clutch of "Friend and family" 20% off vouchers from M&S. Can't be bad, I thought, as I had seen a dark red duffle coat in the Sunday magazines and I liked the look of it.

All I can say is that whatever they pay their advertising photographers, it can't be nearly enough. What looked warm and inviting in the picture turned out to be heavy and stiff, with a zip that was hard to do up and an uninspiring mock-tartan lining.sad
So I thought I need some trousers - but the quality of the fabric was so cheap and dire they were rejected as well. A cardi? My granny wouldn't have been seen dead in what was on offer - dreary pastels, metallic threads,odd coloured buttons from Per Una (how many years have they been going on?) and dull, dull, dull styling.
So nothing new to add to previous threads lamenting the dearth of decent things from M&S - the only thing they seem to do well is their advertising!

Lona Wed 17-Sep-14 16:22:44

I agree totally, most of their stuff is rubbish. There might be one item a season that's reasonable.
When will they learn?

absentgrandma Wed 17-Sep-14 16:48:13

Thanks for the heads-up Soutra. As I'm too far away to 'feel the quality' your input's very useful.

The clothes may look good in the adverts,(if a bit boring) but as they say 'a picture says a thousand words', but maybe in this case it's a 'picture spins a few porkies'

When will they realise that getting a few 'celebs' together, posing them in exotic surroundings, and getting them to wear M&S for the photos shoot isn't going to get us over 50s running to the stores? I wonder if Helen Mirren, Tracey Enem et al actually wear M&S in their daily lives?

petra Wed 17-Sep-14 16:55:09

Last week I went on to their website. I vowed I would never use it again after the last time. But I did need some sweat pants and I know theirs fit me. Once again their b....y 'new' site left me pulling my hair out.
So, I put fingers to keyboard and told them in no uncertain terms what I thought of the 'new' all singing and dancing site.
They phoned me the next day to ask what the problem was. I bet they wished hadn't.

Nonnie Wed 17-Sep-14 17:01:26

They sent me a questionnaire this morning so I completed it with brutal honesty!!

Stansgran Wed 17-Sep-14 17:05:07

This month I've liked a couple of things online but in the shop the quality is dire. Everything looks cheap close to. The quality of the "wool"coat looks exactly what used to be called shoddy

Charleygirl Wed 17-Sep-14 17:07:52

I needed a couple more pairs of pull on trousers for the gym. The ones I buy used to be of good quality but the recent ones, as somebody said were of poor quality, very thin indeed. That is okay for a heatwave but not for January in this country.

I normally buy "long" but this time they were so long that I was sweeping the floor as I walked and I had to be careful in case I tripped.

I pulled one pair on and a seam at the side burst- they do need to get the quality sorted. They may save money long term if they brought the work back to this country rather than paying slave wages overseas.

Agus Wed 17-Sep-14 17:12:28

Years ago I used to buy so much from M & S. Now though, I find the quality poor and the styles are dire.

Liz46 Wed 17-Sep-14 17:14:36

I find that the M&S trousers are often a bit 'jodpur like'. They are baggy on the outer thigh area and I feel as though I need to turn them inside out and straighten them up so I have stopped buying them now.

suebailey1 Wed 17-Sep-14 17:19:54

My annoyance with M & S is that they make a big splash about a certain item say a shirt or coat an then either its not available anywhere or when it does come its very different to the advert. Saw the same thing with Debenhams this week though. they advertise a nice pale blue coat and its in their window next to the advert looking completely different - hard, and cheap material. I used to always but there underwear but the matching sets of bars and knickers which I like are in the most horrendous colours and patterns.

suebailey1 Wed 17-Sep-14 17:20:44

Oh and by the way this 'edit' business really annoys me - its fashionista speak like a trouser or a shoe.

Coolgran65 Wed 17-Sep-14 17:21:05

I always take the trousers in at the thighs.

TwiceAsNice Wed 17-Sep-14 18:33:18

I'm so glad someone else hates their website Petra I keep trying and just give up without buying anything. I did email them to tell them I thought it was dire and I much preferred the previous one . They replied they were very sorry but insinuated nobody else had a problem with it. Every time I go into my local store to look in person I can never find anything I want in a size or colour I need. I used to buy loads from them but not any more. I do still get my bras from there as they do appear to fit.

Purpledaffodil Wed 17-Sep-14 19:11:16

I agree re style and quality. I bought a pair of winter boots while they were doing 20% off last week and they are horrible. Much higher heel than appears in the picture, very stiff and fit badly. So it's back they go! What a waste of time and effortsad

petra Wed 17-Sep-14 19:29:57

She more or less insinuated the same to me TwiceAsNice. I told her that wasn't the case. I told her that I belonged to GN and there had been mention of their awful website. I referred to MN as well and what had been said on there.
Then she tried to infer it was my ipad!!!

Elegran Wed 17-Sep-14 20:09:23

The short answer would be "Well, someone has a problem now!"

Wheniwasyourage Wed 17-Sep-14 20:29:09

I have been getting BHS knickers (Midis) for years in packs of 5, but recently they haven't had colours I want so I tried M&S. Their Midis are good quality but much bigger, so I am wearing Big Knickers confused !! I also get bras there, and men's knee-length socks, as they wear much better than women's ones. Haven't tried their website, but after these reports, don't think I'll bother.

FlicketyB Wed 17-Sep-14 20:43:23

Having been an M&S critic for upwards of 50 years, I confess that I was in their today and was quite impressed by some of there clothes and came out with some really nice ankle boots in cherry red and two pairs of leggings, one very sturdy and the other velvet. The velvet one's are thin and may not last but I need them for two evening engagements in October and probably will not wear them often after that.

I did notice that it was a shop of two halves. The downstairs, front was all geared up for younger people. Oxford is a university city and term starts soon. The clothes there, sweaters, shirts, trousers leggings were great in design and colour and I may well go back and buy some. Go upstairs and it was nothing but what I can best describe as 'old lady' clothes (this from an old lady). What I think they call classics. DH's definition of a classic is something that never goes out of fashion because it has never been in fashion. The clothes were dreadful, lots of shapeless baggy legged trousers, mainly in black and all with that very faint polyester shine on them and lots of slippery polyester blouses.

Crow Wed 17-Sep-14 21:26:49

I keep being told I don't have an account with them, so have given up trying to get on their web site.
However I still get all their advertising e-mails to the address that they tell me doesn't exist.

rosequartz Wed 17-Sep-14 21:40:09

I have been having trouble with their website as well, and when I finally managed to get through to the point of placing an order was told they didn't know who I was and I had to register!!

All I wanted was some underwear; there was an offer for a beauty box worth £88 with the order (oh yeah?). I thought this would be added at checkout but it wasn't, so I added it. Then it would appear that I was being charged £88 for it.
In the end I phoned up, moaned about their website (she didn't seem surprised) and she cancelled my original order and started again. The one bra I wanted became out of stock in the short time between online and telephone orders. Another one was a truly vile colour when it came (it said 'matching knickers available' but that must be in a different shop somewhere else, not M&S as they don't stock any knickers of the same colour - in the event thank goodness as the bra went back.)
The 'free' beauty box was OK, filled with a mish-mash of things some of which I may use, some I may give away.

numberplease Wed 17-Sep-14 21:50:28

Bring back St. Michael!

annodomini Wed 17-Sep-14 21:50:30

Does anyone else think that M&S made a bad miscalculation when they started their beauty department, stocked with products from manufacturers I, for one, have never heard of? I rarely see anyone buying any of them and their prices are considerably higher than M&S's own brands like Autograph which I have found to be perfectly adequate.

rosesarered Wed 17-Sep-14 21:59:49

I have had so many problems with their website that I have given up on it.Went into a small M&S last week but saw nothing I would buy there. Bought 3 lovely 'on trend' tops from Debenhams though, and nice quality [though more expensive than M&S.]The Mantaray brand.

Ana Wed 17-Sep-14 22:04:25

I've found no problems at all with their website - which is just as well, as they never have the size/length/colour I want in my local store. Their delivery service is first class.

rosequartz Wed 17-Sep-14 22:10:15

Delivery is first class once you can make an order.
The person who took my phone order was very helpful indeed.