Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Realistic fashion advice

(109 Posts)
Cagsy Wed 07-Jun-17 11:51:32

I've just looked through the advice GN offers to over 50s on how to wear certain fashions, so why do all the models look like lovely slim women in their 30s? Surely this site should offer us some more realistic images to give us some good suggestions - you certainly can't find them anywhere else.
I'm mid 60s, 5' 2" and overweight, I'm not frumpy but would love to look a little more stylish but no one offers realistic images. Through reading comments from GNs I discovered the joy of legging/jeggins and tunics and actually got some very positive comments from people when I started wearing them. We all seem to know that we need longish tunics that cover tummy and bum but all the images are of slim women with waistlines like I had 30 years ago.
Does anyone agree with me that we'd like GN to offer us something more realistic, I think their images could be from MN? Maybe GN could be a trendsetter here and who knows the media may start to notice we exist!

MawBroon Wed 07-Jun-17 23:01:59

Do online like me jalima then you don't have to look at yourself in the changing room mirror from hell smile

Jalima1108 Wed 07-Jun-17 23:06:34

That was one of the problems today, catching sight of the back view hmm

But at least I was in a changing room shock

kittylester Thu 08-Jun-17 07:11:51

I'm a bit worried about East. The concession in our John Lewis had disappeared too. I buy one of their 'straw' handbags every year as they used to be just the right size, summer colours and only £25.

Apart from all the usual stores thee are some retailers who are only (or mostly') on line.

The ones I use:

Kettlewell for good basics (t-shirt etc)in lots of colours
Woolovers have super woollens (and some frumpy stuff)
Just Last Season - Jacgues Vert, Dash, etc from last season.

Can't think of anymore that I use but I'm sure there must be. blush

The thing I struggle with is accessories. I don't like scarves ( they won't behave for me) but beads are not 'in'. I found some in JL but the ones I liked were £79. shock

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Jun-17 10:03:39

shock I hope they were gemstones!!
I always get too hot and bothered in scarves although I do have a drawerful of them and think they look so nice on other people.

I like Dash for casual wear too and there is somewhere near here which has a (small) concession.
I need something in between 'posh frock' and 'casual summer dress' which seems impossible to find - just in the last two years everything seems to have changed but have women changed that much?
Short sleeved, not too low a neckline and skimming over the tum so not a tight skirt
Is that too much to ask?

Oh - and the label says size 12 but is a few inches bigger in fact.

Cagsy Thu 08-Jun-17 11:51:39

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that struggles with scarves, other people seem to wear them well and they look so elegant, not a word I have ever associated with myself!
Maw all your advice sounds great, like you I mainly buy on line, try on in the comfort of my own bedroom and easily returned If I don't want to keep them.
Some retailers new to me here, will have a look at some of them over the weekend. Thanks all flowers

activerelaxer Thu 08-Jun-17 15:36:32

NotTooOld - the loose sole in Hotter shoes is removable so it can be swapped with an orthotic insole. Shoes without removable insoles usually don't have enough height to accommodate them.

I've had orthotics for around 10 years now (bunions) and the difference they make amazes me - I walk properly and feel years younger. Makes up for the actual style of the shoe smile

devongirl Thu 08-Jun-17 16:12:35

Just been told I need to wear orthopaedic wedges to correct fallen arched. Got some removable ones from Scuropody which are fine, but does anyone know of trainers which would have such support built in?

devongirl Thu 08-Jun-17 16:12:51

Schuropody sorry!

NotTooOld Thu 08-Jun-17 16:19:05

Maw - your wedding outfits sound beautiful.
Jalima - I had a day like you today. I'm sure the mirror in the Dorothy Perkins changing room hated me. Didn't buy anything.

Re scarves, I have a drawerful but rarely wear them. They always look great on other people but definitely not on me. They make me feel like a bag lady.

NotTooOld Thu 08-Jun-17 16:19:43

activerelaxer - thanks for that. I didn't realise.

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Jun-17 19:12:31

devongirl I am having to wear them too but, as they have been prescribed and made by the podiatrist (increasingly higher) I found it better to buy wider/deeper shoes with removable insoles and use the orthopaedic insoles in them.

I haven't seen any trainers with such a support built in, but was recommended to wear trainers with the orthopaedic insoles because they are more supportive. They won't fit in all trainers either as they take up too much room.
OK with trousers and not on a hot day!

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Jun-17 19:23:23

devongirl most of these shoes and some of the sandals have removable insoles:
www.widerfitshoes.co.uk/?gclid=COvjyO7trtQCFUG4GwodTHgA1A
Other makes must be available such as Dr Comfort but some DB shoes are less 'clumpy' than some makes.

As for trainers, I had to buy a German make (Meindl) and they are rather hard work to wear at the moment! They are supposed to be very supportive.

Cherrytree59 Thu 08-Jun-17 20:06:30

Biting at the bit to buy some lovely Moshulu sandals but still not found the top half yet sad

I think I've mentioned this before but all those who struggle with scarves try Moira C.
They are elegant and have a small magnetic fastening that allows scarf to be worn in several ways
It makes wearing a scarf so easy

MargaretX Thu 08-Jun-17 21:44:59

After a long time I ordered a summer top from M&S from the Classic range. Within and hour of it arriving I wore it to go out with a friend and its really pretty, suits me, its light for summer and with 3/4 sleeve.
I live abroad and hope that M&S will continue to trade with the EU after Brexit.

I can't wear the tight fitting jeans. I have a dry skin and the feel of that tight cotton irritates my skin. I shall have to keep with the straight leg cut and anyhow the tight ones have been going so long so that when their grans start wearing them the young will soon want something else.

rubylady Fri 09-Jun-17 03:41:56

After losing 22lb in water in hospital, I am now looking skinny! grin Sexy ankles now! grin

More weight has come off since coming home and I intend to keep on when I get home after surgery but I do wear kaftans and I ordered one while I was in hospital and I got some lovely comments on it. It is reds and oranges with palm trees on it, beautiful, and the patients said it reminded them of holidays and cheered them up. Very comfortable too in a hot hospital ward. X

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Jun-17 20:19:29

The Per Una chinos are quite nice and very comfy MargaretX but would be too hot if the weather warms up (no sign of it here unfortunately).

could that be my problem? Excess water? my medication does cause odoema apparently.
It is always difficult to know what to wear in hospital, not great to wear nightwear all day. I opted for leggings and a t shirt.

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Jun-17 20:20:53

I am sure that M&S clothes will still be available after Brexit, they are in Australia and Next has an Australian site too.

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Jun-17 20:24:24

www.marksandspencer.com/belted-chinos/p/p22503190?image=SD_01_T57_6983U_NU_X_EC_90&color=NEUTRAL&prevPage=plp
It says 'tapered leg' but they are more straight imo.

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Jun-17 20:25:47

I've just seen the neutral ones (not in the shop) so I may order those as well.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 09-Jun-17 20:44:55

I agree with Cagsy. I also found the advice about jeggings really useful - love them. I am sure we all have our own style and will adapt a suggestion to suit. Someone (I think it was on GN) recently suggested an edge to edge kimono jacket in a light weight fabric for people who like their arms covered. That's one I need to explore.

I think that offering advice from experience is one of the things GN is really good.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 09-Jun-17 20:51:06

Wow Kitty Kettlewell is great and I love the choice by colour season. I haven't got any further yet.

MargaretX Fri 09-Jun-17 21:55:25

My home wear trousers are the wide leg black pull on trousers. I have seveal and wear them everyday in the house. Some have faint pin stripe. I never buy those with a stitched crease down the front. I think they are really ageing.
I suppose I could try jeggings but I'm tall and the wide leg suit me and are so comfortable and easily washable.
If the leg is too wide I sew the side seams in a bit.
Good to hear that M&S will continue exporting, maybe when we have a soft Brexit everything will go on as before.

But I'll stop there I don't want to get back into politics!

MawBroon Fri 09-Jun-17 22:22:57

My wedding coat from EAST was called a Tamna Gudri coat. I see they have a slightly different Gudri coat this season. Worth a look if you like this type of thing. Mine was shades of blue with a rich wine-coloured lining which showed when I turned the cuffs back.

MawBroon Fri 09-Jun-17 22:25:29

East's Marissa Gudri coat this season

Chewbacca Fri 09-Jun-17 22:40:41

I've just been to M&S tonight specifically to buy some linen trousers. I tried on 3 pairs; all the same size and same leg length. First pair were a good fit but would have had to have had at least 3" taken off the length. 2nd pair were a good fit but ended above my ankles. 3rd pair were the right length but I couldn’t fasten them up, they were so tight. Grrrrr!