Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Realistic fashion advice

(109 Posts)
Cagsy Wed 07-Jun-17 11:51:32

I've just looked through the advice GN offers to over 50s on how to wear certain fashions, so why do all the models look like lovely slim women in their 30s? Surely this site should offer us some more realistic images to give us some good suggestions - you certainly can't find them anywhere else.
I'm mid 60s, 5' 2" and overweight, I'm not frumpy but would love to look a little more stylish but no one offers realistic images. Through reading comments from GNs I discovered the joy of legging/jeggins and tunics and actually got some very positive comments from people when I started wearing them. We all seem to know that we need longish tunics that cover tummy and bum but all the images are of slim women with waistlines like I had 30 years ago.
Does anyone agree with me that we'd like GN to offer us something more realistic, I think their images could be from MN? Maybe GN could be a trendsetter here and who knows the media may start to notice we exist!

callgirl1 Wed 21-Jun-17 22:25:31

I`ve just been told that one of my grandsons is getting married "sometime next year", and am already panicking about what to wear. I love dresses, but never feel dressed up anymore, as I can no longer wear tights, can`t put the things on anymore. But I don`t feel that trousers are suitable for a wedding, unless I find some that are really special.

MawBroon Wed 21-Jun-17 22:29:46

What about a long slimline skirt/dress and coat? Or, look at Box2 they do lovely coats which you can wear over a top and trousers or top and longish skirt.

MawBroon Wed 21-Jun-17 22:35:21

www.box2.co.uk

Coolgran65 Wed 21-Jun-17 22:53:31

12 years ago I was married at age 56 wearing soft trousers and a matching long coat, aubergine sheer-ish fabric. Rag-tag-scraps stitched randomly onto the coat, and a fabulous head adornment that I found in m & s for £5.

I wore it again later that year for dss wedding.

For the wedding of another son I wore a full length black dress with taffeta soft structure jacket.

For 3rd son I wore chocolate colour trousers and scoop top with a chocolate linen/mesh/applique soft structured calf length coat.

You can tell I don't put my legs on show, too many veins. There are lovely outfits out there. What about personal shopper at Debenhams. We have one son left and if he sets the date that's what I will do.

callgirl1 Thu 22-Jun-17 17:51:59

Some lovely clothes on that site MawB, but a tad expensive for me, may get some ideas off there though.

Jalima1108 Fri 23-Jun-17 20:16:18

I found some cream trousers (in the sale) and a cream and black loosish top (will be more floaty when I lose more weight). I felt more comfortable in trousers even though it was hot.

You do look very glam in that phot MawBroon wink. I like the hair but can't wear mine long like that.

Jalima1108 Fri 23-Jun-17 20:17:31

wot's a phot? confused

MawBroon Fri 23-Jun-17 20:37:19

jalima gringrin