Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Dressing gowns/housecoats

(40 Posts)
aitch Fri 10-Nov-17 13:33:01

I hate wrap around dressing gowns, preferring instead a straight, coat style garment. Have searched almost every web site I can think of but they all seem to think that everyone wants to be bunched up in a huge bulky thing, each to their own of course but all I want is a simple straightish, (wouldn't mind a bit of elegance ) robe that doesn't truss me up like a fur ball. Am I being a bit too trivial?

midgey Fri 10-Nov-17 13:35:30

Marks have one or two with a zip, would that help?

hildajenniJ Fri 10-Nov-17 14:05:20

M&Co have some in different prints. They appear to be on offer. HERE THEY ARE

Christinefrance Fri 10-Nov-17 14:09:12

I have a Lands End fleece one with a zip. Straight and plain no lumpy bunching ☺

DanniRae Fri 10-Nov-17 14:12:00

Marks do a very nice navy blue, button up dressing gown. I agree about wrap round ones and might add the Marks one to my Christmas list!

lemongrove Fri 10-Nov-17 14:21:40

I don’t mind being a fur ball....very soft and comfy.

lemongrove Fri 10-Nov-17 14:23:06

I haven’t seen the zip or button up ones in the shops for years, try looking online.

Greenfinch Fri 10-Nov-17 14:32:43

I like the zip up towelling ones that you can put straight on after a bath or shower. I used to get mine from Damart but they don't seem to do them any more. Any suggestions?

Teetime Fri 10-Nov-17 15:01:22

I sympathise about trying to find a dressing gown that isn't either towelling or a fleece or sickly and not warm enough. Whatever happened to nice traditional dressing gowns. I've been trying to find one too.

Teetime Fri 10-Nov-17 15:08:18

oops meant silky!!

Anyway I have just found some lovely ones at www.davidneiper.com but not cheap- probably well made and an investment.

Fennel Fri 10-Nov-17 15:26:35

There are some cotton or fleece housecoats for sale on American websites, but can't find any UK ones.
www.shopnational.com/loungewear/house-coats-and-dusters/view/all

kittylester Fri 10-Nov-17 15:36:33

Mine is green and white striped fleece, knee length and wrap around. I love it blush

HildaW Fri 10-Nov-17 15:54:19

I too loathe the warp around dressing gowns but do not really want to go down the buttoned or zipped 'house coat' look......what a friend of mine called 'care home chic'. In summer I use a cotton kaftan and find it very useful as you look halfway decent if the postie is very early. Have yet to find a suitable winter version. My other gripe is about the colours ......so often its pink pale blue or that weird washed out green colour that makes me look quite corpse like........thankfully M&S have been using a darker blue/grey that's acceptable and I have a couple of their long nighties that are made out of fine cotton jersey - wish they would make a matching all enveloping dressing gown to match.

petra Fri 10-Nov-17 16:36:23

I loathe wrap around dressing gowns. Added to that I don't do 'prints'. Plus I don't do pastels.
I have a black velvet one with a hood and a maroon one that is trimmed with satin down the zip/collar/cuffs.

Charleygirl Fri 10-Nov-17 17:20:16

I also hate wrap arounds and I also do not like dressing gowns with zips so that leaves me with very little choice. I do have 3 which button, the minor problem is that they are all blue but not the same style. I have had them for years but eventually they will wear out.

hildajenniJ Fri 10-Nov-17 17:21:17

Petra the M&Co dressing gowns are not only in animal print, but also in a cable print too. In fact I've just looked at the website. They've got lots of zipped ones. I really fancy a black ribbed fleece one which is just new in.

Smithy Fri 10-Nov-17 17:23:50

I don't care which way they fasten as long as they are lovely and cosy to put on after a bath. Only in winter though.

lemongrove Fri 10-Nov-17 17:30:44

Petra I just knew you were a glamour puss.smile

whitewave Fri 10-Nov-17 17:33:41

Yes I always have David nieper dressing gowns. The ones with zip or buttons are splendid. Velour is my choice, but there are lots of others.

Cherrytree59 Fri 10-Nov-17 17:38:51

I have a nice cosy DG from M&S that I bought last year.
It is plain with a zip snd nice deep pockets for all my bitssmile

For those that don't like zips either what about a kaftan style

Imperfect27 Fri 10-Nov-17 17:40:02

aitch l hope this thread helps you to find the dressing gown of your dreams; For my part, after 12 working days in a row, l am delighted to be wrapped round in my lovely fleecy turquoise M&S dressing gown ...yes, that and 2 glasses of rose down and not yet 6 o'clock .... so glad of a weekend off!!! Tbh, l didn't like my dressing gown at first, it was a Christmas present. I found it bulky and over-warm to begin with, but nearly two years later l have adjusted to it and it is synonymous with relaxation and comfort now.

tessagee Fri 10-Nov-17 17:54:07

House of Bath's latest brochure have a floral patterned dark blue quilted dressing gown about 46 inches long. Me, I love the wrap around thick fleecy dressing gowns but has anyone noticed that like so many products nowadays they are getting smaller, or in this case shorter. I prefer my dressing gowns to be nearly floor length and spent months searching for one last year but gave up in the end and settled for something 48" long.

AyjayF Fri 10-Nov-17 20:10:18

Nigella looks gorgeous in her wrap around silky number. ?

MissAdventure Fri 10-Nov-17 20:15:12

I have an M&S one which zips up. Its lovely material, warm but thin. I bought my mum one for Christmas, then saw one exactly the same in a charity shop and got it for myself.

LadyGracie Fri 10-Nov-17 20:48:06

I have a long dressing gown from M&S it’s made of a nice thin fleece material with a zip, very cosy but not at all bulky.