Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Shapewear

(68 Posts)
Nanawind Mon 26-Feb-18 22:16:33

We are going to a family wedding in April and I have been looking for an outfit. Normally I live in things to cover my flabby belly, I'm not one for really dressing up, but the bride is my only neice and goddaughter so want something special. I have tried a few outfits on but I feel as though belly is to prominent. I have been thinking about shapewear but don't know where to start. Any suggestions would be gratefully received as it's to late for a tummy tuck ha ha.

MissAdventure Mon 26-Feb-18 22:27:37

How about one of the full slips? How much could 'escape' out of one of those?
I'm not being facetious, by the way, I've often looked at the full slips and thought how slinky they look.

Chewbacca Mon 26-Feb-18 23:09:39

I had something like this for a recent wedding. I'd road tested the slip type shape wear beforehand and found that they rolled up from the hem when I walked or moved very much at all and that resulted in an even odder look! Then I found the and they stayed exactly in place all day. Going to the loo is not easy though.

www.fashionworld.co.uk/shop/maidenform-wear-your-own-bra-take-off-inches-singlet/GU643/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=7206&promo=6202&&ci_sku=GU64303&ci_src=18615224&cm_mmc=Googlebase-_-Fashionworld-_-Product%20Feeds-_-na&gclid=CjwKCAiA_c7UBRAjEiwApCZi8XiEFSqozPXGDXz4xivKBXKc0ga9w8hkkEH9DY26uDZUdJ57s8cEkRoCEwMQAvD_BwE&dclid=CLuOlt3YxNkCFRcWGwodCLIDOw#colour:Beige,size:XL

Coolgran65 Tue 27-Feb-18 01:07:15

I have something like this But it has no thigh coverage. It sort of smooth things out a bit so clothes hang better.

However, be careful if you think it might get a bit hot. I am all-in- one, one summer's evening out for dinner dinner. It was real heat wave time. With the heat I started to itch over my whole torso..... just like a heat rash. Was completely left with no choice. Darted to the rest rooms and completely got it off. Oh the relief. Only thing was being an all in one I was left with no bra and the rest of the day had my arms crossed, held my bag to my front etc

Coolgran65 Tue 27-Feb-18 01:08:23

Sorry for typos.

Nanabilly Tue 27-Feb-18 08:30:23

I agree with whoever put that link up the full thing with shorts might be best if you are going to wear what has typically become the mother of the bride style outfit. If you are going to be wearing something with a little more movement and freedom you could wear similar without the shorts but so more like a swimming costume.
Have you already chosen your outfit ?
What style you are wearing will determine what shapewear you go for .
They are restrictive and take some getting used to and if you don't feel that then they cannot do the job you want them to do so wear them for short periods around the house and increase the time you have them on .much like a pair of new shoes.
The best ones to go for are spanx as they are softer and breathable but more expensive.
Qvc do them as do John Lewis but better to check out all their styles on the spanx website. You may find separates better to wear .

OldMeg Tue 27-Feb-18 08:35:24

Don’t go there! I’ve never tried them but have read accounts, some hilarious and some downright painful, of them. If they are tight enough to hold everything in then they will be the very devil to get on and even worse to get off.

Your belly will still be there but just squashed into submission and against other internal organs. Think how it will feel when you feed it at the reception.

Go for clever styling instead and be comfortable.

MawBroon Tue 27-Feb-18 08:44:19

JL do a shapewear slip with a scoop “cut” out of the front so you can wear your own bra. Sorry I can’t find a link but I went MOB shopping with a friend recently whose DD is getting married in August and she (the friend) had bought one and had it with her for trying on outfits!

Blinko Tue 27-Feb-18 08:52:00

Sounds fine just as long as you don't need the loo grin

wildswan16 Tue 27-Feb-18 08:55:59

I know you want to look your best - but I am sure they love you for who you are, belly and all. Just make sure whatever you wear makes you feel good without being so uncomfortable you want to whip it off in the middle of the reception.

Fennel Tue 27-Feb-18 09:01:19

Does anyone remember rollons? My Mum made me wear one in my teens, but my thighs bulged below them.
They had attached suspenders - I hated them.

Fennel Tue 27-Feb-18 09:03:59

ps you can still buy them - rollon girdle.

silverlining48 Tue 27-Feb-18 10:21:48

Shapewear does make a difference though don’t overdo it as i did once. I had a body thing on but as my thighs need a bit of control I also put on pants with legs over the top. Was out to dinner, came over alarming, passed out briefly and ended up in an ambulance to hospital. Not a good way to end an evening.
I also have a petticoat thing which doesn’t ride up and is much easier to deal with if one needs to spend a penny.
They do improve the line, but don’t layer them, one at a time, and practice perhaps to make sure it’s reasonably comfy.

Rosepaul Tue 27-Feb-18 11:06:55

When my son got married I had a personal shopper from John Lewis, she suggested a body with a scoop out front to wear your own bra as MawBroom stated. I got my mine from M & S and wasn't uncomfortable at all, poppers at the bottom when needing the loo. Gave me a very smooth shape around my muffin top and tummy was very pleased with how I looked just smoothed everything out with no lumps hanging out at all.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 27-Feb-18 11:08:14

What about flowing top and matching trousers, very stylish, and comfortable. Have found 'shape wear' uncomfortable and spoils the event as you cannot properly relax.

So fed up with us ladies of a certain age being made to feel we should look like magazine shoots. Our bodies are marvellous machines, have given us our children, and carried us on our journey through life. Every ounce and wrinkle tells our life story. We should be proud of what we are.

henetha Tue 27-Feb-18 11:16:58

I share your concern Nanawind, as I'm also going to a family wedding later this year. I've already bought a lace dress which looks fine except for my tummy! But I'm hoping that just a pair of control briefs will be enough. I don't fancy wearing anything too tight for hours and hours. But we want to look nice, don't we, so I think I will go on a small diet in the weeks leading up to the wedding. Nothing too drastic or else the dress will be too big for me.
I hope you enjoy the wedding and feel comfortable.

missdeke Tue 27-Feb-18 11:33:12

Just don't worry about it, I'm sure the bride will be the centre of attention and nobody will be the slightest bit concerned with your belly bulge, a well placed handbag for any full length photos will make you feel more comfortable. And just go along and enjoy it.

Craftycat Tue 27-Feb-18 11:35:51

A good pair of shapewear pants work miracles. I find them very comfortable & not difficult to get into & out of in the loo either. I can't remember the brand- they were French ,I do remember that- & not cheap -but not really expensive & I have had them for years- hence not knowing brand as label long gone. I don't know I have them on until I look in the mirror.

Ukulele28 Tue 27-Feb-18 11:37:44

I have several items of shape wear, all from M&S. My favourite has legs that slim to mid thigh, also control your behind and have tummy/waist control. They go all the way up to your bra so give a smooth silhouette. Also have the same sort of thing minus the shorts/thigh shaper. Have them in black and natural, comfortable once on and not too expensive. Then of course there's Spanx , very good but more expensive.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 27-Feb-18 11:40:16

Tried a shareware about two years ago but it just moved the fat to somewhere else. I would buy a comfortable outfit and enjoy the day.

jamtart27 Tue 27-Feb-18 11:45:09

I found the shorts style rolled up my legs creating a strange ridge ? hold it in tights are a good option if wearing a dress/skirt as they seem to firm the wobble whilst not being too girdle like , don't spoil the day by not being able to eat, drink , dance or wee ? enjoy X

Lilypops Tue 27-Feb-18 11:53:34

Hear Hear Granny Gravy !!We have earned the right to let it hang out and be comfy, We have had our turn of roll ons, suspenders ,we don't need to impress ,just be ourselves,

Grangegran1 Tue 27-Feb-18 11:59:33

Oh my goodness. Be comfortable. You could end up like Sheila on Call the Midwife (Christmas 2017 programme) struggling into her girdle. It was the best thing about last Christmas for me!

Nanawind Tue 27-Feb-18 13:01:16

Thanks for your replies, I have been looking on line at shapewear and reading the reviews and your comments it doesn't look as though I'd be comfortable. As DH says it's only for one day his next words were waste of money.
DD says floaty tops and trousers are ok to wear to weddings now a days, so will look at those sort of outfits. Might take up the suggestion of a personal shopper that sounds a good idea.

OldMeg Tue 27-Feb-18 13:22:35

Are these the scoop neck ones?

Beige and delicious video ???