Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Would you wear dungarees?

(123 Posts)
suzied Fri 22-Feb-19 17:19:26

I went into the Gap Outlet store near me today, they had mid blue denim dungarees at 50% off- so around £25. I tried them on and loved them - really comfy - great for gardening and general chores I thought, I pictured myself wearing them with a breton t shirt and white pumps. I ended up not buying them as I was unsure whether they were appropriate - I'm slim and fairly tall btw, so not a tweedledum look, - question is - can a gran wear denim dungarees or are they only suitable for toddlers?

dragonfly46 Fri 22-Feb-19 20:03:56

Yep. You will regret not buying them. We are at an age where if you look in a mirror and like what you see and what’s more you feel comfortable - wow go for it!

Niobe Fri 22-Feb-19 20:19:22

I wore a pair of brown corduroy ones in the early eighties but now my bladder needs clothing which is easier to remove. " Getting older ain't for cissies " to quote the late, great Bette Davis.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Feb-19 20:25:53

Does anyone get bitten in the summer or when on holiday by mosquitoes?

If so, you need one of these:
Apparently, scientists in Bristol have discovered that flies (and I assume mosquitoes) are confused by zebra stripes:

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Feb-19 20:26:36

Getting older ain't for cissies
I did say to DH today that old age doesn't come on its own.
hmm

grannyqueenie Fri 22-Feb-19 23:04:57

I had some when pregnant, at the time I thought I looked very stylish in them! grin but I’m not tempted to be wearing them now. This picture says it all!

M0nica Sat 23-Feb-19 07:10:45

Anyone can wear anything if you like it and feel good in them. Age does not come into it.

Gettingitrightoneday Sat 23-Feb-19 07:35:58

My thoughts are about the complications of taking a pee.
Then if its in a rather grotty public toilet the bits you have to remove will probably dangle on the floor.

Urmstongran Sat 23-Feb-19 07:57:12

I read that if you wore a certain fashion the first time around then you’re too old to rock the look the second time when it’s back in fashion! A pretty good rule of thumb I think. ?
I’d say leave dungarees to the young ‘uns now.

Lily65 Sat 23-Feb-19 08:38:10

But with your figure you shouldn't have anything to be ashamed of

I am sick and tired of being ashamed of my body.

suzied Sat 23-Feb-19 09:29:18

I'm not ashamed of my body - I'm more or less happy with it, plus Is don't think they'd be any more difficult to get on and off than a pair of jeans - slip the straps off the shoulders and unbutton a couple of buttons at the side - that's about it. Still considering! I could pretend I'm a bohemian artist type - they seem to get away with wearing just about anything!

TerriBull Sat 23-Feb-19 09:45:23

Depends on one's shape, I wouldn't too large a bust unfortunately. I did wear jumpsuits in my younger days when I was slim. I think the way you describe yourself and for the purpose you want them for OP they sound fine, with messy hair and a bandana appropriately tied could look good............just not on me sad

Lily65 Sat 23-Feb-19 09:52:31

suzied, good luck with your dungarees. I'm not saying you are ashamed of your body, why would you be? It sounds desirable by today's standards, tall and slim.

I am not tall or slim. I went to bed one night pre menopause and woke up the next day with a different body ( or so it seemed!)

Lazigirl Sat 23-Feb-19 10:14:58

Ha ha Lily. I went to bed one night around the menopause and woke up with melons on my chest! I have decided that if I wear aforementioned jumpsuit will match it with some stylish inco pants to solve loo problem. grin

Lily65 Sat 23-Feb-19 10:19:00

I hope Lazi, you and your pants will be dancing a samba with green feathers stuck to your jumpsuit.

Or possibly going on a cruise with a tanned , grey haired hottie.

HildaW Sat 23-Feb-19 11:57:44

There are certain things older folks should not wear IMO but that's only because I feel older flesh needs covering. So short skirts are ok with thicker tights or leggings. Really low necklines are never flattering neither are really strappy tops if you cannot wear decent support.
As for the rest of so called fashion (which thankfully nowadays is so varied) wear what makes you happy and works for your life style. If that means dungarees....then go for it. I find certain jolly footwear makes me feel a lot more bouncy, I have some lace-up casual trainer types in a dull silver....they always make me feel really quite bouncy.

MissAdventure Sat 23-Feb-19 12:29:23

Me too.. smile

goldengirl Sat 23-Feb-19 12:37:05

If I could find a pair that fits as I would wish it to fit then I'd certainly buy it - never mind what other people say. If you like it, buy it! I've just purchased 2 jumpsuits and love them - though I don't think I'll be walking around town in them as we don't have easily accessible toilets!!!

PamelaJ1 Sat 23-Feb-19 13:27:19

I had a purple corduroy pair and one winters day decided to ring the changes by wearing my jumper over the top.
I nearly left a puddle on the floor then and I was only 18?

HildaW Sat 23-Feb-19 13:35:36

It was the same in the pre-school......some Mums would put their little darlings in dungarees with tights underneath.....in the end we had to mention it in the newsletter!

HildaW Sat 23-Feb-19 13:36:14

and I wore purple DMs back then!

grannysue05 Sat 23-Feb-19 14:14:17

Oh Urmstongran if you are right about not wearing fashion that you wore many decades earlier, then I am in trouble.
I have worn Quant, mini, maxi, midi, flower power, big shoulder pads, twee Laura Ashley, milkmaid, jeans....you name it, I wore it.
I suspect there is no hope for me now !
shock

gmelon Sat 23-Feb-19 14:29:15

Dungaree wearing totally permitted only if you know all the words to Come on Eileen.

MissAdventure Sat 23-Feb-19 14:43:10

grin

HildaW Sat 23-Feb-19 15:22:51

grin and do they still play it at the end of all discos/dances/weddings etc........not been to one in a while but when it got played we knew it was time to go home!

MissAdventure Sat 23-Feb-19 15:24:55

I have a pair of purple, iridescent docs, but wearing them makes my back ache these days. sad
I love just have to admire them from afar these days.