Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Ashamed of myself

(138 Posts)
Luckylegs Sat 16-Mar-19 21:09:30

I got my sandals down from the loft today -28 pairs! I put as many pairs of boots back up there.

I got my t shirts out, there must be 50-60 I guess. Same number of jumpers, if not more.

I also sorted out my handbags and found 44 to sort through and decide which to keep.

Tomorrow, I want to sort my makeup out, I hardly dare!

What can I do, I’m not proud of it, I just love shopping.

Jane10 Sat 16-Mar-19 21:13:08

shock!

RosieLeah Sat 16-Mar-19 21:23:32

Now I can feel less guilty about my own unworn shoes and the 'nice' clothes I have bought 'just in case', but have never had occasion to wear. I keep buying new shoes but end up wearing the old ones because they are so comfortable. However, we are helping the economy by spending.

Carolina55 Sat 16-Mar-19 21:25:28

I read somewhere that if you haven’t worn it in the last two years, you never will....

Seriously, I tend to wear the same things/combinations again and again whereas some things only get worn a couple of times then put away.....and then I put on my winter weight (which somehow doesn’t dissolve in the summer) and the wardrobe is overflowing!

I have a rule now of 1 in, 1 out.

Cherrytree59 Sat 16-Mar-19 21:27:37

Wow.
No where near your tally
Luckylegs but last year
I had a 'No clothes shop month' .
Bit like a dry January.

Most of my clothes spending is on my little grandsons.
My daughter actually said stop✋
Their wardrobes were full, even after several bags of out grown clothes going to the charity shops.

The other way to look at it Luckylegs is that you are helping the economy and the retail industry.

Luckylegs Sat 16-Mar-19 21:30:25

I vowed to cull the sandals. I only chucked one pair today which I’ve never worn and felt forced to buy as a favour to my DIL, bit of a story. I often go through my clothes and get rid but I only go and buy something new when I see it! I cheer myself up by buying stuff, ridiculous I know.

Luckylegs Sat 16-Mar-19 21:32:15

Thanks for that, yes I am trying my best to help the economy! I make myself go through my clothes in the hope it will make me realise I DONT NEED ANY MORE!

Luckylegs Sat 16-Mar-19 21:32:58

Oh I buy for my granddaughter as well!

Urmstongran Sat 16-Mar-19 21:47:58

Perhaps go for a swim/the library/a coffee shop instead?

just DONT LOOK ETHEL! ?

‘I’m only buying what I actually need in here’ .... said no one ever!

lemongrove Sat 16-Mar-19 22:00:51

Urmston grin
I liked that song ‘The Streak’ (the fastest thing on two feet)
Haha.

Lucky buy books instead.

NfkDumpling Sat 16-Mar-19 22:03:37

A few years ago I had a Christmas sort out and realised how many clothes I had which I would never wear as there just weren't enough days in the year. But I couldn't throw them out as I really liked them. Some had only been worn once and I'd forgotten I had them.

I made a New Years resolution to stay away from shops and not to buy an clothes for a year. I made it for ten months! I saved enough to take the family on holiday!

The biggest temptation is the internet and all those sale emails. It's just too easy.

Perhaps you could set up a pretend shop in a spare room and pretend to shop when the temptation strikes!

Urmstongran Sat 16-Mar-19 22:06:15

That was it lemongrove I’d forgotten what it was called but I’m singing it in my head right now!

Luckylegs Sat 16-Mar-19 23:01:59

Me too! Oh I need that when I’m shopping or idly looking on GN and someone mentions Rieker shoes or a certain brand of trouser. I went out with a friend last week and bought a handbag, hence the digging out of all the handbags I possess. The charity shops love me round here! Right, I will try not to buy anything for a year. Gulp!

Grammaretto Sat 16-Mar-19 23:15:55

Shopping is our national obsession.
Retail therapy. I wish it wasn't and I try to buy from charity shops.
I gave about 10 garments to charity this week. One had only been worn once. I didn't like myself in it.
Shoes I either wear to death or don't ever wear. No half measures. We had a moth infestation last year so sadly a lot of woollies were ditched.
50 T-shirts is a bit excessive. shock

Chewbacca Sat 16-Mar-19 23:26:27

My house is tiny, very little storage space and only room for 1 wardrobe. Since I've lived here I've had to ask myself the following questions when I go out shopping: "Do I need it?" "Have I got room for it?". "What will you get rid of to make room for it?" As a result, I shop differently.

But I'm due to move to a bigger house shortly....... hmm

annep1 Sun 17-Mar-19 07:42:12

That does sound like too much. Speaking from experience shopping can be an obsession. It just takes a bit of willpower to cut down. Find another hobby to enjoy?

stella1949 Sun 17-Mar-19 07:48:27

I like the French saying "no woman needs more than 12 garments". I don't exactly stick to that number, but I certainly wouldn't have more than 20 garments in my wardrobe, ever. I stick to classics and use accessories to change the look.

I've seen huge walk-in robes , bulging with clothes, in many friend's homes, and I really don't understand it. Less is more in my mind.

mumofmadboys Sun 17-Mar-19 08:13:17

20 garments is impressive Stella. Does this include trousers/ jeans, dresses, skirts, blouses and jumpers/ fleeces/ sweatshirts ? I try hard not to buy things I don't need but struggle to get rid of stuff and keep things for gardening/ walking and have too much scruffy stuff!

M0nica Sun 17-Mar-19 09:06:36

I am absolutely with Stella. When I read the OP, my body was tensing and I was feeling quite ill at the thought of having so many clothes. If I had that many clothes I would spend every day in my pyjamas trying to work out what to wear.

I buy the clothes I need when I need them and rapidly dispose of anything I no longer wear to charity shop.

I can get all my clothes, except possibly the coats, into a 5 foot Victorian wardrobe and one chest of drawers.

Why waste money on clothes you hardly wear and do not need when there is so much else you can do with your money?

Anniebach Sun 17-Mar-19 09:15:51

I haven’t 20 items of clothing, unless I add knickers and socks

Littleannie Sun 17-Mar-19 09:20:49

I'm with you MOnica. I can go a year without buying anything. I have ample for my needs.
The only exception is swimsuits. I usually buy 3 a year, as I swim a lot, and the chlorine in the water tends to rot them after a couple of months.
Who on earth needs 50 t-shirts and 44 handbags?

ninathenana Sun 17-Mar-19 09:26:36

Being a plus sized short legged pear shape, I would quiet like to have a "see it, buy it" habit. Sadly I'm governed by "does it come in my size and will it suit me"

Grammaretto Sun 17-Mar-19 09:30:17

I want a master class please stella1949
Seriously. Do the 20 items include outdoor wear?
Like mumofmadboys I have different clothes for the garden, dirty work, walking, freezing, warmer, going out, funerals, parties, yoga etc.
There's always something in the wash!

GabriellaG54 Sun 17-Mar-19 09:36:10

Ridiculous overbuying. What can you do?
That would be telling.
I think you enjoy the thought of our raised eyebrows.
It's only sad people who 'have' to disclose a habit they purport to want advice on stopping when they have no intention of doing that very thing.

sunseeker Sun 17-Mar-19 09:37:29

I have always thought I was strange because shoes are simply a necessity for me - don't have a huge number. However, when out shopping with friends they know to keep me away from handbags! I couldn't tell you how many I have blush. The strange thing is that I only use 2 or 3.