Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Ashamed of myself

(139 Posts)
Luckylegs Sat 16-Mar-19 21:09:30

I got my sandals down from the loft today -28 pairs! I put as many pairs of boots back up there.

I got my t shirts out, there must be 50-60 I guess. Same number of jumpers, if not more.

I also sorted out my handbags and found 44 to sort through and decide which to keep.

Tomorrow, I want to sort my makeup out, I hardly dare!

What can I do, I’m not proud of it, I just love shopping.

NfkDumpling Mon 18-Mar-19 06:49:26

I realised I had to stop buying regardless when I had a sort out and found I’d bought three nearly identical thin beige jumpers three years running and still was wearing the first one - the other two had got buried and still had their labels!

As Brupen said, now I’m retired I can browse the sales (on line is the worst for me) and buy far too many bargains. My (nearly) year out has slowed me down considerably but I bought two tops the other day when out with DH. One I like and the other the same but in the colour he likes. I’m not sure one will get worn much!

PamelaJ1 Mon 18-Mar-19 06:52:40

My friend has just hired a lovely dress to go to a ball. It cost £85, which isn’t cheap, but if she had bought it would have had a much bigger price tag and then hung in her wardrobe for years.
So she got her buying experience without any angst. She’s a bit of a shopper and has a pretty packed wardrobe.

Gmum Mon 18-Mar-19 08:49:12

Internet shopping is so easy and great to surf in comfort. Getting a parcel delivered can be the highlight of the day. Season shopping is great new summer clothes and then winter as well. I forget the shoes I have and buy new ones then find the old ones lurking in the cupboard, its not easy to throw out but try to let go. There is nothing wrong with having lots of clothing, some of the rich have dressing rooms full of clothing I guess they can afford the space.

NanaSuzy Mon 18-Mar-19 09:25:35

It's a fine line- spending helps the economy, but wasting clothing ruins the environment.

Sparklefizz Mon 18-Mar-19 10:03:52

44 handbags!!!! shock I use the same shoulderbag every day, could not be bothered to keep transferring everything to another bag all the time .... not enough hours in the day .... have one other bag for best, plus a neutral clutch bag for special occasions - 3 bags in total.

Is it just me?

georgia101 Mon 18-Mar-19 10:12:00

My husband thinks I am being extravagant with 5 pairs of shoes. 3 the same style in different colours as they are so comfortable, and 2 for going somewhere special in. I have 2 pairs of sandals and don't have any boots. I must tell him to be grateful to be married to me and not Luckylegs.

annodomini Mon 18-Mar-19 10:28:34

I did a census of my footwear. 17 pairs of Hotter shoes, boots and sandals. They do wear well. There are others like Gabor and Clarks both of which I like but Hotter's have always been a reliable fit. I have culled my handbags, most of which I have bought on Ebay, usually paying less than £10, always leather and almost unused.

sluttygran Mon 18-Mar-19 10:36:08

My late husband had severe bipolar disorder, and once, during a manic episode, he found a jumper in M&S which he thought very stylish, and bought their entire stock
He then went to three other branches and cleared them out as well.
We had 85 grey lambs wool jumpers in every size.
I couldn’t return them as he had ripped off all the tags and labels, so for years they were given as gifts, I wore a couple, my sons wore some, and 27 years later I still have two of them in my drawer.
That’s what you call shopping!
Personally I love looking round clothes shops but don’t buy unless I really need an item. Most of my clothes come from charity shops, and when I get fed up I donate them back and get something else.

Bossyrossy Mon 18-Mar-19 13:24:46

I love dress agencies, they fulfill my craving to buy something ‘new’, often with an expensive label that I wouldn’t normally buy. The clothes are hardly worn and I also take in things that I no longer wear. Sometimes the old pays for the new and I feel very pleased with myself.

FNH1 Mon 18-Mar-19 14:13:47

I used to shop til I dropped. In fact it was part of my job - I got paid to do it - no jealousy please! We have lived in the same house for 20 years and recently we decided to move. The stuff I threw out will keep two charity shops going for years and I have to say I feel 100% better for not having all this stuff. I don't buy a lot anymore and won't start again. x

humptydumpty Mon 18-Mar-19 14:44:16

Luckylegs I'm not sure if I have had as many of each of those things ever!! Where did you store them all??

LadyGracie Mon 18-Mar-19 14:54:36

I used to work with a lovely lady who had a large bedroom converted to a dressing room to hold her vast clothes and shoe collection, lucky her, lucky you Luckylegs

BlueSapphire Mon 18-Mar-19 20:42:55

I have a lot.... But have bought nowhere near the amount I used to, as our M&S closed last year. Went to meet friends for coffee this morning, and one of them asked me if I'd like to go shopping with her as she has a weekend in Spain coming up and she needed another opinion. So off we went, and of course I ended up buying something - but it was really nice and only £9, so I didn't feel too bad.